Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Just got off with customer service. I'm booked in XN next Thursday, since we are now 5-days out, I called to see if I was on the upgrade list.

The agent put me on hold for a while, said she talked to a supervisor, and he said XN are eligible for upgrades, and she assured me I was on the list.

Then, she said, "of course, I can't see the list and what number you are on the list, but you should be on it".

So, I won't know until Wednesday if I'm on the list, but I certainly didn't get the 5-day upgrade (but that rarely happens anymore anyway).
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Just got off with customer service. I'm booked in XN next Thursday, since we are now 5-days out, I called to see if I was on the upgrade list.

The agent put me on hold for a while, said she talked to a supervisor, and he said XN are eligible for upgrades, and she assured me I was on the list.

Then, she said, "of course, I can't see the list and what number you are on the list, but you should be on it".

So, I won't know until Wednesday if I'm on the list, but I certainly didn't get the 5-day upgrade (but that rarely happens anymore anyway).
Don't hold your breath. I'm sure you won't be on it.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
convert XN to X

This is a known bug. Find a nice phone agent to convert you from the XN to X booking class and then the upgrade will work correctly, otherwise you will NOT get upgraded. Perhaps UA Insider can tell us when this bug is going to be fixed. Otherwise, it will be continual battle to get the complimentary upgrades on an XN award ticket.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
What about YN? Any problems with the upgrade there?

Last edited by slippahs; Dec 5, 2011 at 11:00 am
Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Originally Posted by slippahs
I just traveled on a YN ticket and have another one at Christmas time. The system does NOT recognize YN tickets for upgrades.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Originally Posted by slippahs
I just traveled on a YN ticket and have another one at Christmas time. The system does NOT recognize YN tickets for upgrades.
That is truly disappointing.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
XN to X

There has to be X "availability" to switch them? Anyone know if this is correct or just a line?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mnmme
There has to be X "availability" to switch them? Anyone know if this is correct or just a line?
I'm not convinced. My X reward ticket never upgraded when it should have.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:08 am

Ticket for Iah - Bos was X on the outbound (upgraded at T-120 for daughter) but inbound is XN.

Don't no why CO would care how many X's vs XN's they have?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
I have upcoming reservations in X (should be OK?), and YN. Anything that can be done for the YN ticket to help with upgrades (it's on Dec 22nd, just before X-mas)
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:20 pm

Since I'm going around in circles with the folks on the phone, I'll see if folks here can clearly explain the upgrade order, using words that I, with the cognitive capacity of an 8 year old, can understand.

• Elite level: Members are prioritized according to their Elite level — Platinum, Gold and then Silver. When traveling with other Elite members or non-Elite members, Elite members should purchase their flight on a separate itinerary.
  • Upgrade priority within Elite level will be based on fare class purchased. The fare class structure in priority order is as follows: M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N and reward travel*.
So, when I see, "within Elite level", I interpret that to mean Platinums on reward tickets are processed before Golds on non Y or B fares.

Is that correct or is it that Platinum reward upgrades are after all other paid upgrades?

Remember, use small words. I'm in idiot.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:26 pm

HouCon,

I believe it sticks to "original" order if the reward miles come out of an an elite account that has the proper Chase Card.

My daughter just got upgraded on my miles 5 days before her flight. She has no status on her own.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:15 pm

Still no love.

Not shockingly, I was not on the upgrade list for the flight tomorrow. I called the Platinum line to get put on the list, got the immediate answer that upgrades were not possible on reward tickets, explained the credit card thing, and then was told to hang on while she transferred me to the elite line. Of course, I called the Platinum line, but it seems we are getting routed to other folks when we call.

So, I talked to a wonderful CO agent who was as upset about this as I. She said she gets several calls like this, she talks with supervisors, gets contradictory information, if frustrated by the whole process.

I explained the X versus XN issue, and she quickly changed my return to X, but we are not sure if that will fix it. She had never heard that as a fix, but she said it was easy to change it to an X fare, even thought I was told earlier in the week that it was not possible to change.

It turns out that for the flight tomorrow, some gold members were upgraded (at 3 days out) rather than me because I was not on the list (despite being told they were sure I was on the list). She shared my frustration because that is a clear violation of what is supposed to happen.

After all that, I am still not on the upgrade list for the flight tomorrow. First is now full, so no chance of an upgrade at this point, but it would be nice to see my name on there just so that I know it works.

I have no moral to the story other than to keep calling until you get someone to change the XN to an X, and then keeping your fingers crossed that the glitch is really just that, rather than something else.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:22 pm

Well, now some love.

20 minutes after getting off the phone and changing it X, I got an upgrade on the return flight Saturday.

So, either the super agent pulled all the strings she could pull or the change to the X fare got me automatically upgraded.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
The upgrade difficulty described in this thread along with change on how FEQM can be used in the coming years, is why I'm unlikely to renew my PPlus card when renewal comes around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.