Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by slippahs
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

PNR is already notated with "Ineligible for EUA" according to the ticket agent at HNL based on the phone agent call this morning who was adamant CO72 was ineligible for EUA. I think it's over for me.
You need to send the PNR to UA Insider. Nting your record like that and refusing to look up the rules is simply unacceptable.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
I am flying in 6 days (IAH -- > MCO) on a reward ticket. CO.com shows R=9. Seat map shows 100% open up front. My flight is in XN. I didn't get the upgrade at the 6 day mark. If after the 5 day mark I haven't I will call back and see what happens.

My return flight is equally wide open on Dec 25th, and is booked in X. It looks like as good a test case as any to see if XN vs X is a problem.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Here I go again...

I am traveling on a reward ticket next week LAX-EWR, EWR-CUN, CUN-LAX. My flights are listed as YN except for the last flight which is listed as Y (operated by UA). I just called the CO Gold Elite desk, and the agent assured me that I am eligible for Elite Upgrades on my ticket for the CO flights. I explained to her that I was on a reward ticket over Thanksgiving and I was not added to the list, and also how I was embarrassed by the ticket and gate agents at LAX. She apologized but said there is nothing she can do except note my file that I am eligible, and if the computer fails to add me to the listing, I should ask at the airport. She suggested I bring a printout of the website to the airport, to show the agents. I told her at Thanksgiving I showed the agents the website on my phone, and they told me the website was wrong. Sounds hopeless really, but who knows... Will report back with the results of my trip!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
I am traveling on a reward ticket next week LAX-EWR, EWR-CUN, CUN-LAX. My flights are listed as YN except for the last flight which is listed as Y (operated by UA). I just called the CO Gold Elite desk, and the agent assured me that I am eligible for Elite Upgrades on my ticket for the CO flights. I explained to her that I was on a reward ticket over Thanksgiving and I was not added to the list, and also how I was embarrassed by the ticket and gate agents at LAX. She apologized but said there is nothing she can do except note my file that I am eligible, and if the computer fails to add me to the listing, I should ask at the airport. She suggested I bring a printout of the website to the airport, to show the agents. I told her at Thanksgiving I showed the agents the website on my phone, and they told me the website was wrong. Sounds hopeless really, but who knows... Will report back with the results of my trip!

YN/Y sounds like EasyPass.

There's a decent bit of SaverPass F for LAX-CUN next week (and return the following) depending on your dates and whether you're married to your flights.

If you can do that, confirm the F at the same price.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by channa
YN/Y sounds like EasyPass.

There's a decent bit of SaverPass F for LAX-CUN next week (and return the following) depending on your dates and whether you're married to your flights.

If you can do that, confirm the F at the same price.
Thanks for the heads up, yes it is EasyPass reward. I am traveling on Jan 2 and there are no reward seats of any kind open that day, unfortunately. There are SaverPass first rewards open on the LAX-EWR leg however, but CO is telling me I am not entitled to this because my trip is booked as LAX-CUN with a stopover in EWR. I would have to find a saver first award from LAX-CUN (with a stopover in EWR) available, and there are none. They said all I can do is pay 25k miles for the ticket if I want first from LAX-EWR... which at this point, I already spent quite a bit of miles on this trip and don't want to spend any more. Although it is a 757-200 with lie flat seats and I've been dying to try them out...
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the heads up, yes it is EasyPass reward. I am traveling on Jan 2 and there are no reward seats of any kind open that day, unfortunately. There are SaverPass first rewards open on the LAX-EWR leg however, but CO is telling me I am not entitled to this because my trip is booked as LAX-CUN with a stopover in EWR. I would have to find a saver first award from LAX-CUN (with a stopover in EWR) available, and there are none. They said all I can do is pay 25k miles for the ticket if I want first from LAX-EWR... which at this point, I already spent quite a bit of miles on this trip and don't want to spend any more. Although it is a 757-200 with lie flat seats and I've been dying to try them out...
Yeah, you would have to find it all the way through in order to grab it.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier iK, Accor Platinum
I had a flight EWR-SAT last week Fare Class X. No upgrade at 24 hours so I check in. Overnight an email came in that I was upgraded, so I got a seat in F on my boarding pass at the airport.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
I am flying in 6 days (IAH -- > MCO) on a reward ticket. CO.com shows R=9. Seat map shows 100% open up front. My flight is in XN. I didn't get the upgrade at the 6 day mark. If after the 5 day mark I haven't I will call back and see what happens.

My return flight is equally wide open on Dec 25th, and is booked in X. It looks like as good a test case as any to see if XN vs X is a problem.
Update - Now 2 days from outbound (>48 hrs) & 5 days from return. No upgrades. Can now see flight status online.

#1586 on 12/22/11 shows 11/16 available in first, and 5 upgrades cleared. Inventory is wide open in all buckets. No upgrade for me yet as a PPlat with PresPlus on XN fare.

#1544 on 12/25/11 inventory is wide open, seatmap shows 1 seat taken in 1st (of 16). No upgrade for me on X fare yet.

With how limited FC inventory has been at T-24 lately I would say this benefit is almost worthless (even if I do get the eventual upgrade on this flight). This might end up one of those flights where every silver clears.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:08 pm

Update - Now 2 days from outbound (>48 hrs) & 5 days from return. No upgrades. Can now see flight status online.

#1586 on 12/22/11 shows 11/16 available in first, and 5 upgrades cleared. Inventory is wide open in all buckets. No upgrade for me yet as a PPlat with PresPlus on XN fare.

#1544 on 12/25/11 inventory is wide open, seatmap shows 1 seat taken in 1st (of 16). No upgrade for me on X fare yet.

With how limited FC inventory has been at T-24 lately I would say this benefit is almost worthless (even if I do get the eventual upgrade on this flight). This might end up one of those flights where every silver clears.
Looks like for 1586 your R buckets are wide open (R8, RN8). Maybe you should try to switch XN to X?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
Looks like for 1586 your R buckets are wide open (R8, RN8). Maybe you should try to switch XN to X?
I had a trip the other day that I switched all 4 flights from XN to X (took 3 calls until you get someone who knows how to and/or is willing to do it)...the first 3 flights were upgraded automatically...for some reason, flight number 4 didn't show me on the upgrade list so the agent at the United Club added me, but I still didn't get the upgrade (oddly enough, my name eventually disappeared from the upgrade standby list for the 4th flight so that may have played a role in not getting the upgrade). I did get EUA email notices for flights #1 and #2 so for getting 3 out of 4 upgrades as a Silver on a reward ticket, I can't complain. I will say, however, that you MUST get them to change your ticket from XN to X in order to increase your EUA chances...I don't think fixing this bug is very high on their priority list.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
No X inventory open. 3 PPlat agents were each unwilling (2 of them said they would have if X had been open). Not a very good way of extending a benefit that you avertise UACO. Of course I will see if its something else on the return since that leg is in X.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:17 pm

No X inventory open. 3 PPlat agents were each unwilling (2 of them said they would have if X had been open). Not a very good way of extending a benefit that you avertise UACO. Of course I will see if its something else on the return since that leg is in X.
Return flight upgraded from X to R at exactly 120 hours. I called in and got an agent to change my outbound thursday flight to X from XN (4th time was the charm). It still has F7 & R5 so lets see what happens on the next sweep (likely midnight).

Another observation, my wife (traveling on my miles booked together then split PNR) did not get upgraded at 120 hrs on X inventory when I did (she is Silver based on her own status).
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Return flight upgraded from X to R at exactly 120 hours. I called in and got an agent to change my outbound thursday flight to X from XN (4th time was the charm). It still has F7 & R5 so lets see what happens on the next sweep (likely midnight).

Another observation, my wife (traveling on my miles booked together then split PNR) did not get upgraded at 120 hrs on X inventory when I did (she is Silver based on her own status).

Is your wife on the same return as you?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:44 pm

Got an upgrade - something works!

So I just wanted to update you all, I am on a reward (EasyPass - YN) ticket from LAX-EWR, EWR-CUN, CUN-LAX ticket. I just got an upgrade notification from CO about my upgrade from LAX-EWR... I was skeptical, but I'm happy to say, something is working in their system! I did go in to Continental.com to update all my 'payment information' on my account the other day, to ENSURE my UNITED Explorer CC number was there. It wasn't on my profile, so I added it. I would recommend that anyone trying to get an elite upgrade on a reward ticket, go into your CO account profile and make sure your CC information is correct. Hopefully this answers some of the confusion...
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:09 am

So the question is, if you're holding an XN fare, can it be converted to X (if you find the right agent who's both willing and able to do so) at any time, or must an X class seat be available in order to do so? If it can theoretically be changed at any time, then I might have to just start bombarding them with calls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.