Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cancellations Getting Insane

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks for posting this. What period of time does it cover?
You can check it out yourself every day:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...airlineCode=UA

down to 66% on-time so far today...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks! I hadn't realized there were so many flights per day.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
You can check it out yourself every day:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...airlineCode=UA

down to 66% on-time so far today...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sulley
Your work group wouldn't happen to know why, eh?

Please remember... be nice to the gate agents... the ones that actually have to *deal* with the pax.

Originally Posted by cosflyer
FAB,
are you kidding me??? you and i both know there have been a large amount of refusals that are contract related, it doesnt help your case when im throwing down a few beers at the crowne plaza festival city and 2 of your flying professionals are basically spilling the beans...as im trying to seal a deal with some omani clients....jeesh
I don't have time to go through all the pages, but I'll answer these two posts because they're somewhat related.

Sulley I read a report from the Chief Pilots in DC who went to a meeting with the Dulles gate agents and were read the riot act, pilots causing delays, breaking jets, etc....and then the chief pilots proceeded to tell the gate agents they were wrong on all their assumptions. They thought a pilot turning down a jet because the passenger seat wouldn't recline was a job action. Guess what, by FAA regs our rest seat has to recline. They thought we could go with all sorts of things broken, which we couldn't, and they had no idea all the problems we're having with load planning and dispatch. But the gate agents "just knew" there was a job action going on. They were wrong. In fact, the chief pilots there said point blank that there was no job action under way, and Chief pilots do NOT stand up for union pilots on a job actions btw, they are management.

I have complete sympathy for gate agents during these times, as we do for passengers disrupted and our lives disrupted.

Cosflyer, again I will say your accusation is wrong. If you heard two pilots being braggarts about something as they were drinking a beer, that does not make it a company wide job action. Some pilots just like to complain and talk how tough they are. I know of not one pilot who I've seen or heard involved in any job action. In fact our union is saying very publicly and loudly to us to not do anything that could be construed as a job action for fear the company would love to take us back to court and avoid a strike.

I go to work, do my job and go home. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've only had one cancellation in my 8 trips this and last month so it's not system wide on every flight. But I've had a lot of delays, from weather to inbound aircraft delays to maintenance problems not being fixed which caused me a lot of maximum duty days. So all the delays stink for me too, much longer days with no added pay.

So sorry about the delays and cancels, it stinks. But also understand that while passengers are affected most, close behind are the employees dealing with all the aftermath.

AD

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Jul 16, 2012 at 8:04 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:50 pm

Thanks for posting this. What period of time does it cover?
Those were just for today - when I said "to date" I meant to convey that I pulled that at 5pm PST so there are still 7 more hours left in the day.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
I don't have time to go through all the pages, but I'll answer these two posts because they're somewhat related.

Sulley I read a report from the Chief Pilots in DC who went to a meeting with the Dulles gate agents and were read the riot act, pilots causing delays, breaking jets, etc....and then the chief pilots proceeded to tell the gate agents they were wrong on all their assumptions. They though a pilot turning down a jet because the passenger seat wouldn't recline was a job action. Guess what, by FAA regs our rest seat has to recline, so no job action. They thought we could go with all sorts of things broken, which we can't, but the gate agents "just knew" there was a job action going on. They were all 100% wrong. In fact, the chief pilots there said point blank that the maintenance program at United had fallen off the rails, no parts, no planes, and no one to fix them. Chief pilots do NOT stand up for union pilots on a job action btw, they are paid by management. We have complete sympathy for gate agents during these times, as we do for passengers disrupted and our lives disrupted.

Cosflyer, again I will say your accusation is wrong. If you heard two pilots being braggarts about something as they were drinking a beer, that does not make it a company wide job action. Some pilots just like to complain and talk how tough they are. I know of not one pilot who is engaged in a job action, in fact our union is saying do not do anything unusual since the company would love to take us back to court to keep us from striking.

I go to work, do my job and go home. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've only had one cancellation in my 8 trips this and last month so it's not system wide on every flight. But I have had a lot of delays, from weather to inbound aircraft delays to maintenance problems not being fixed which caused me a lot of maximum duty days.

It sucks I agree, and no one is as upset as the passengers are except the employees. Gate agents work harder, rampers work harder, pilots work harder, and get all the grief from the passengers as we have to make up for problems in the operation.

AD
Very well put, AD.

Originally Posted by mitchmu
Those were just for today - when I said "to date" I meant to convey that I pulled that at 5pm PST so there are still 7 more hours left in the day.
Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sulley I read a report from the Chief Pilots in DC who went to a meeting with the Dulles gate agents and were read the riot act, pilots causing delays, breaking jets, etc....and then the chief pilots proceeded to tell the gate agents they were wrong on all their assumptions. They though a pilot turning down a jet because the passenger seat wouldn't recline was a job action. Guess what, by FAA regs our rest seat has to recline, so no job action. They thought we could go with all sorts of things broken, which we can't, but the gate agents "just knew" there was a job action going on. They were all 100% wrong. In fact, the chief pilots there said point blank that the maintenance program at United had fallen off the rails, no parts, no planes, and no one to fix them. Chief pilots do NOT stand up for union pilots on a job action btw, they are paid by management. We have complete sympathy for gate agents during these times, as we do for passengers disrupted and our lives disrupted.
I wonder if there will be some apologies forthcoming.....
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:03 pm

...Maybe I've been lucky, but I've only had one cancellation in my 8 trips this and last month so it's not system wide on every flight. ...
If you look at the daily cancellation statistics, it's clear that UA cancellation rate is much higher than either AA or DL. Both are large national networks and both are subject to all the same random and unpredictable external events that UA is subject to. There is something much worse going on at UA leading to a significantly higher cancellation rate at UA compared with any other airline. In fact, it's impossible to find any airline in the world that has as many cancellations as UA in the past few weeks and you have to go as far as Tunisa to find an airline with a worse on-time rate than UA. That may not be "every flight" but it is something to be concerned about.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:03 pm

I'm glad we have established that 2 guys 'spilling the beans' is not indicative of a group action by 12000. Having spent too much time at hotel bars in my career, I've learned that embleshiment at the establishment is as common as salty snacks.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
I wonder if there will be some apologies forthcoming.....
Doubt it.
Haters are gonna hate ... and talk bad about you behind your back.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Gold
I'm done...

I've been trying to be patient with UAL during this whole merger transition process. The past 2 weeks have pushed me over the top, so I am done with them. 8 of my last 14 flights have either been delayed or canceled. Last week I was heading GSO-ORD-LAX with the family for vacation. Got up that morning, checked the flight status, showed delayed 2 hours. OK so far as we had a 3 1/2 hour layover in ORD. Continue to monitor, and the delayed time holds, so we head to the airport. Check in, check our 5 suitcases, head to security. I just load my stuff on the x-ray belt, and the United agent is at the security checkpoint hollering my name, telling me the flight just canceled. I walk back to the ticket counter, and after a while, get re-routed GSO-CLT_LAX on US Airways (United can't get me tp LAX until almost midnight). I was told the inbound plane went mechanical, and was coming from Dayton Ohio (there are no DAY>GSO routes, so they were obviously scrambling to find us a plane.)

Then on our return trip home last Wednesday (redeye), we are almost an hour delayed leaving LAX because they had to replace a reading light bulb five rows behind me (seriously - is it really necessary to have all the reading lights working???) We get to IAD late of course, and we have 20 minutes to get to our connection. At our arrival gate I ask the gate agent to call our departing gate and tell them we are coming (5 of us). We run to the train, get to A concourse, run to our gate and the flight is closed (still 5 minutes before departure). Gat agent said operations told him to close it even though they can see we are on the ground. BTW, no one ever called him to tell him we were on the way. I pretty much lose it at this point, and lay into the gate agent. The plane is still sitting there, boearding door still open. He calls his supervisor, and they actually re-opened the flight and let us board. This was the only bright spot.

To top it off, I had a business trip this morning, GSO-ORD-MSN. Get to GSO for 6:19am flight, all shows on time. Wait, wait, wait some more. Finally about 6:10 the gate agent gets on the speaker and says they are looking for the crew - waiting for operations to get back to them. FInally the crew shows up about 6:45 (no reason given for the delay...but it was not required crew rest). We take off at 7:15, land at ORD at 7:45, and I somehow make a 17 minute connection.

Too many problems/cancellations/delays. I travel 150 - 175 segments a year, and I have never seen it this bad. I will push my business to US Airways and Delta. Sayonara United...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:36 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
I'd like to thank ualp and freshairborne for their continuing contributions to this forum, all the while maintaining a healthy sense of humor. ^

You guys rock!
My goodness, forgot about aluminumdriver. Another guy who rocks. ^
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
Just found out my trip tomorrow DEN-PDX was canceled. Of course having to take the first flight out in the morning and not many E+ seats left to choose from. Aaargh!

It took Dorothy at the Premier Desk about a nanosecond to re-book two of us. Seamless and good news!
OK now this getting ridiculous. Just got a call from the dreaded UA 800 number telling me the cancelled flight is now un-cancelled and they have put me back on my original flight.

So with a strong desire to call the MP Premier line one more time today, I called and had not been moved back despite what the recording said. So I moved myself back. Here's the fear. I'm not sure they will recover all those pax already re-accommodated and the flight will get Cx'd tomorrow due to a light load.

How can all this be happening? It's like they are managing the business 24 hours at a time. They want Business customers? They've got a long way to go before I have that level of confidence.

Is this a fire drill for the airline business? I'll go with the OP who said it's like a switch was flipped on 3/3. The misery.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Face it - Smi$ek is running the airline into the ground. More than 50% of my flights are delayed or don't go at all. Happened today. Wilbe glad when my pre-booked flights are finished. I'm switching over to AA 100%. I can't take the non-sensese anymore. Stolen miles, broken planes, it's getting serious now. I don't want to see what's next. I would be surprised if we start seeing the FAA get involved to get a better handle on all the broken planes and making sure UA is still safe to fly.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Thanks! I hadn't realized there were so many flights per day.
I'm just wondering how you can have more cancelled arrivals than departures.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:29 pm

I hope Smisek's spooks read this forum and listen to his customers, and watch them jump ship because he's running the airline into the ground.

If he spent as much time fixing things as he does spying on the pilot forums trying to find things to drag us into court for, everybody would win.

In his world, I guess you can't be a winner unless everybody else is a loser.

Pat Patterson would roll over in his grave if he knew how United Air Lines is run these days.

FAB

Last edited by freshairborne; Jul 16, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.