Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cancellations Getting Insane

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by gharapet
...re-thinking the benefits of pushing to keep my 1K.
It's starting to sound like DEQMs are in our future.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by cosflyer
I'm not implying anything.....but when FAB who happens to be a strike prepardness coordinator AND says that mgmt is just as guilty he has implied that the refusals are valid AS HE HAS SAID NOTHING TO REFUTE WHAT I OVERHEARD AT THE BAR ABOUT THE REFUSALS. ONLY THAT MGMT IS JUST AS GUILTY
I can't speak to what you heard at a bar since I wasn't there, and in fact, I couldn't refute it anyway since I don't know what you're referring to. United Airlines doesn't fly to COS, though, so there isn't much chance that there were United pilots at a bar on a layover there.

Yes, I think you are implying that pilots are doing an illegal job action.

I'm a member of Family Awareness and Strike Preparedness Committees. I am not a coordinator. These are both fully authorized committees, and are no secret to UCH management. As a member of these committees, I can tell you that our management is trying very hard to find ANYTHING they can use as an excuse to take any of us into court on charges of illegal job action. It would be very counterproductive for us to give them that opportunity, since it would give them further excuse to refrain from negotiating in good faith.

I'm thinking that it is highly unlikely that you have the knowledge and experience to decide whether an airplane should be accepted or refused by the captain of any given flight. Can you refute that?

FAB
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United.
Want to see a strange United message?

I had my Houston IAH to College Station CLL flight cancelled, and got this email message from United. If you can make sense out of it, you are a lot smarter than me! And they say most of their merger problems are behind them. Right!
=================
United flight {0} on {1} from {2} to {3} is canceled. You are now confirmed on flight {4} on {5} from {6} to {7} connecting to flight {8} from {9} to {10}.

Flight {11} departs: {12} {13}, {14}

Flight {15} arrives: {16} at {17}

Flight {18} departs: {19} {20}, {21}

Flight {22} departs: {23} {24}, {25}

Flight {26} arrives: {27} at {28}

To obtain your new boarding documents, go to united.com, access an airport kiosk or see a United representative.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like variables from the email script that didn't get populated.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
You're not the only one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-insane.html

See the OP!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by freshairborne
I can't speak to what you heard at a bar since I wasn't there, and in fact, I couldn't refute it anyway since I don't know what you're referring to. United Airlines doesn't fly to COS, though, so there isn't much chance that there were United pilots at a bar on a layover there.
United flies to COS. Or I suppose you don't think that Apple makes i-phones?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tkey75
You're implying that this massive amount of cancellations is due to a sort of pilot sit-in?
Or maybe it is just simple math for the beancounters at UA: "If load factor < 80%, then cancel".
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
last night my flight CVG-EWR got canceled (WX). being a NYC flyer, i understand WX cancellations happen frequently here. what frustrated me was the ineffective call agent to rebook me, the cryptic cancellation message (i got the same email which didn't list any information), the rude supervisor i encountered and general lack of assistance i was getting to be rebooked. for WX cancellations, i think all of us frequent flyers understand they happen, but i'm pretty ticked with the way they handled it. stranded, no hotel assistance and general unwillingness to get me rebooked on a flight that was convenient (as possible, given the circumstances) to me.

flying my first AA flight tomorrow as an EXP match. looking forward to it. finally joining the ranks of voting with my dollars...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Beerman92
United flies to COS. Or I suppose you don't think that Apple makes i-phones?
United Express flies to COS, not United mainline.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by halls120
United Express flies to COS, not United mainline.
I had that reaction at first too, but then I think the point that dieuwer2 is trying to make is that although UA aircraft do not fly to COS, aircraft with "United" on the side fly there. Of course Apple doesn't make the iPhone, but it's sold with its logo, and that's all the average consumer cares about.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Plane Diverted After 'Dipping Like A Ferry'

A London-bound passenger plane was forced to divert to Canada while halfway across the Atlantic after passengers reported the aircraft "dipped like a ferry".

Cabin crew "ran down the aisles" as the United Airlines Boeing 757 began losing height, according to passenger Lizzie Laming.

The plane, which had set off from Washington DC on Sunday night, turned around and flew two hours back west before landing safely at St John's in Newfoundland, Canada.

Passengers are being taken on to London on other flights.

http://news.sky.com/story/960850/pla...g-like-a-ferry
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by freshairborne
United Airlines doesn't fly to COS, though, so there isn't much chance that there were United pilots at a bar on a layover there.
I wouldn't go that route..I know of several UA pilots that live in COS, and have lived there for many years since their USAF service. I am sure there are enough UA pilots that live in at area to fill a bar there.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Sulley
They're rejecting planes left and right.
And your statement is based on what facts?

Pilots can't indiscriminately refuse an aircraft.
If a plane IS refused that means that the Capt has decided that it is unsuitable for that particular flight.
That means there is a mx issue that needs attention.

If planes are being refused "left and right" that indicates that MGT has decided NOT to fix them "left and right".
I say this is a MGT problem because I know our mechanics WANT to fix them, given the tools and the resources.
Parts and manpower are unavailable "left and right".
That is a MGT decision.

If crews were indiscriminately refusing planes, or doing anything else to disrupt the operation, we would be hauled into court in a nanosecond!
Mgt has been itching for anything to enable them to make the injunction permanent.
This would severely tie ALPA's hands and enable the company to drag out the contract "negotiations" indefinitely.

We're not it court because the pilots are NOT giving them anything that they can use to make their case.
That is not to say that mgt won't still try to have us back in court, if for anything just to further stall negotiations.
Should the NMB release us it is assumed that the company will do this.
The airline is being run by a lawyer afterall. It's what they do!

The airline is short crews and airframe utilization is high
The slightest burp in the system or weather event will stall the operation, as we have been saying the past year.
It's no surprise to the crews and airline staff ..... just mgt, apparently.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
I had that reaction at first too, but then I think the point that dieuwer2 is trying to make is that although UA aircraft do not fly to COS, aircraft with "United" on the side fly there. Of course Apple doesn't make the iPhone, but it's sold with its logo, and that's all the average consumer cares about.
Yes, but even though the plane might say "United" on it at COS, the pilots in COS aren't United pilots.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:33 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the UA Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.