Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cancellations Getting Insane

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
United Cancellations Getting Insane

OK - I've been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but this afternoon's cancellation of UA 921 from DEN to SNA has put me over the edge.

I have been flying about 150-200K miles a year for 20 years and I have had more United cancellations in the last 4 months then in the previous 20 years COMBINED. I am not exaggerating - this is a fact.

Based on discussions with other people it seems everyone is experiencing this.

Today I show up at the gate 30 minutes before UA 921 departure and the flight is cancelled. I never received any email or update (neither did anyone else). I get rebooked tomorrow since every flight is full.

This is the message Shares sends me after departure time (this is a copy paste from the email).

United flight {0} on {1} from {2} to {3} is canceled. You are now confirmed on flight {4} on {5} from {6} to {7} connecting to flight {8} from {9} to {10}.

Flight {11} departs: {12} {13}, {14}

Flight {15} arrives: {16} at {17}

Flight {18} departs: {19} {20}, {21}

Flight {22} departs: {23} {24}, {25}

Flight {26} arrives: {27} at {28}

To obtain your new boarding documents, go to united.com, access an airport kiosk or see a United representative.

Is this a joke?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Sorry for your problem. At least they eventually informed you of the cancelation and rebooking. I had it yesterday and never received word of a delay, cancaelation or rebooking. Has Jeff eliminated the previous service of information re delays, cancelations and rebookng becuase this is an Entitelment for Elites?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:40 pm

It does seem cancellations are way up. Please write United and complain.

AD
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I was booked on a flight last Monday that was cancelled. The flight was scheduled for 1 pm and I received an email notification and text message notification at 8 am the day of the flight.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by bldr1k
OK - I've been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but this afternoon's cancellation of UA 921 from DEN to SNA has put me over the edge.

I have been flying about 150-200K miles a year for 20 years and I have had more United cancellations in the last 4 months then in the previous 20 years COMBINED. I am not exaggerating - this is a fact.

Based on discussions with other people it seems everyone is experiencing this.

Today I show up at the gate 30 minutes before UA 921 departure and the flight is cancelled. I never received any email or update (neither did anyone else). I get rebooked tomorrow since every flight is full.

This is the message Shares sends me after departure time (this is a copy paste from the email).

United flight {0} on {1} from {2} to {3} is canceled. You are now confirmed on flight {4} on {5} from {6} to {7} connecting to flight {8} from {9} to {10}.

Flight {11} departs: {12} {13}, {14}

Flight {15} arrives: {16} at {17}

Flight {18} departs: {19} {20}, {21}

Flight {22} departs: {23} {24}, {25}

Flight {26} arrives: {27} at {28}

To obtain your new boarding documents, go to united.com, access an airport kiosk or see a United representative.

Is this a joke?
This seems to be the new reality.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ca...lights-15.html

I think what we are learning is that this executive team thinks we were over entitled to expecting that UA would do what it says it will do and we are now being treated the way they think we deserve to be treated. It's gonna take massive losses to get rid of them.

Seriously, something big is happening. This once great airline seems to be self destructing.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

According to Flightstats.com, 45 mainline flights cancelled today out of the domestic hubs. 18 of them in ORD. A319/A320 seem to be the biggest casualty today.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've got a similar problem. My HNL - SFO flight cancelled because of mechanical issues after Wsitting on the plane in HNL for 45 minutes. Was put on to a later flight that was to leave about 6p HST; then it was cancelled, and now I'm on the 8:45 pm flight that gets in to SFO at 4:45am. Then I have to be at work by 6:30a.
UA sent me the same weird email with numbers as the OP.
The United Club here is nice and I get to watch the Sunday night ESPN baseball game, but I'd rather be home getting some sleep before work.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by bldr1k
When I switched home base (or maybe "primary" base is more accurate) to IAH pre-merger, I noticed that PMCO was very poor at announcing delays/cancellations in a timely manner. I cannot count how many times I got to the gate during boarding time and the plane was not even at the gate yet, but nevertheless they still had not announced a delay. This is one of the negatives that has expanded to the merged UACO, and for me personally has gotten noticeably worse post-merger.

Last edited by gengar; Jul 15, 2012 at 10:12 pm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Seriously, something big is happening. This once great airline seems to be self destructing.
It is completely insane. The whole company seems to be falling apart without one syllable from management.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
According to Flightstats.com, 45 mainline flights cancelled today out of the domestic hubs. 18 of them in ORD. A319/A320 seem to be the biggest casualty today.
When I look at scorecard on flightstats for Jul 15, I see 67 cancellations for UA compared with 2 for AA.

When I look at the pilots thread mentioned earlier, I see 45-69 flights cancelled by UA on most days posted compared with 2-10 for AA, DL.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
It is completely insane. The whole company seems to be falling apart without one syllable from management.
We have heard "over entitled" from management. That's an adjective with several syllables.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mitchmu
When I look at scorecard on flightstats for Jul 15, I see 67 cancellations for UA compared with 2 for AA.

When I look at the pilots thread mentioned earlier, I see 45-69 flights cancelled by UA on most days posted compared with 2-10 for AA, DL.
I must have missed some.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
I must have missed some.
The point I was intending to make was how drastically out of proportion UA cancellations are compared with DL and AA cancellations. The data, whether it's 45 or 67, is all the more striking in that context.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
It does seem cancellations are way up. Please write United and complain.

AD
Your work group wouldn't happen to know why, eh?

Please remember... be nice to the gate agents... the ones that actually have to *deal* with the pax.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
There was a comment on the pilot's forum that this represents not cancelled flight but cancelled flight plans. Any credence to this? Just not familiar enough with flight stats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.