Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cancellations Getting Insane

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by tkey75
No need to yell. I'm more curious about the cancellations being due to pilots refusing planes (on mechanical grounds, I assume) and not something else, like weather...
From flightstats today @ SFO...

UA total 302 Dep + Arr, 9 cancelled, about 3%;
All the others total 654 Dep + Arr, 1 cancel.

Pretty clear which airline is messed up, when even SkyWest only has 1 cxl.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:03 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Anecdotal information - whether about one person's experience or the cancellations at one hub airport on one day - isn't enough to make an assessment.

I'm curious if anyone has stats on true cancellations (not just cancelled flight plans) for the past month or two. It would be useful to compare the stats to the previous year.

If there is a real change, then we can try to learn its cause.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cosflyer
I'm not implying anything.....but when FAB who happens to be a strike prepardness coordinator AND says that mgmt is just as guilty he has implied that the refusals are valid AS HE HAS SAID NOTHING TO REFUTE WHAT I OVERHEARD AT THE BAR ABOUT THE REFUSALS. ONLY THAT MGMT IS JUST AS GUILTY
From the tone of your post, are you sure you're not still at the bar?

Seriously, something you overheard at a bar is not the most reliable information, to put it mildly.

More generally, we're seeing a management team that is screwing up in all sorts of ways. Why should we not assume that their systems and policies are not responsible for the cancellations?

Originally Posted by cjermain
I don't buy the conspiracy argument, or even an argument that says that some disgruntled pilots are behaving differently than they otherwise might.

The simplest explanation is that the flight schedule is (as always) extra heavy in the summer, and UA has just enough personnel to cover what they have scheduled if everything goes perfectly---fewer than they need in the real world. I personally have not experienced any cancellations this summer, though I have had two delays due to crew rest issues that led to the cancellation of the subsequent flight using the plane I was riding. This is consistent with a simple under-staffing problem.
Makes sense to me, though I wonder whether another factor is the complications ensuing from two fleets, two sets of personnel, etc.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
thunderroad,
really????im still at the bar????you are correct im still here with the ual pilots as you have so assumed.....and i may i say i sealed the deal with my omani counterparts...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
thunderroad,
really????im still at the bar????you are correct im still here with the ual pilots as you have so assumed.....and i may i say i sealed the deal with my omani counterparts...
Well, congratulations on that part!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
the best part is EK starts IAD on sept 12th.....free at last free at last....
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

And to think they were #1 in operational reliability just a year and a half ago... Oh wait, sorry, that was sUA management and they didn't know how to do anything right <sarc>
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by uwr
Anecdotal information - whether about one person's experience or the cancellations at one hub airport on one day - isn't enough to make an assessment.

I'm curious if anyone has stats on true cancellations (not just cancelled flight plans) for the past month or two. It would be useful to compare the stats to the previous year.

If there is a real change, then we can try to learn its cause.
It seems that the numbers are for real cancelled flights, not just cancelled flight plans. flightaware has the list of the cancelled flights for the day and at least the first few show as cancelled on united.com as well.

Unfortunately, they show data only for yesterday and the day before that.

http://flightaware.com/live/cancelled
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:57 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm a ten-year member of mileage plus, and until this year, I'd experienced just one non-weather cancellation on UA. Since May I've had three. I wrote to complain.

In my letter I also related the fact that at EWR when approaching a check-in agent to ask to be waitlisted for an earlier alternative flight following my cancellation that this agent made an "I'm too busy" face and then flipped me off. Seriously. I got a $125 e-cert emailed to me.

Note that I'm ex-UA, not ex-CO, but my experience with UA was never like this. Maybe it was normal at CO.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

this is nothing more than the summer of 2000 revisited for old times sake by the professionals at alpa.....refusing airplanes seems to be the norm. jeff needs to get those boys a contract and all will be well again for another 4 years
Wrong. Back in february, pilots were warning that there would be a pilot shortage during the summer, and it had nothing to do with rejecting airplanes or job actions. It had everything to do with more flights scheduled than pilots available to fly them.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by halls120
Wrong. Back in february, pilots were warning that there would be a pilot shortage during the summer, and it had nothing to do with rejecting airplanes or job actions. It had everything to do with more flights scheduled than pilots available to fly them.
They're rejecting planes left and right.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Sulley
I have no idea what the truth is, but if they are, I can understand why.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Karter
In my letter I also related the fact that at EWR when approaching a check-in agent to ask to be waitlisted for an earlier alternative flight following my cancellation that this agent made an "I'm too busy" face and then flipped me off. Seriously. I got a $125 e-cert emailed to me.

Note that I'm ex-UA, not ex-CO, but my experience with UA was never like this. Maybe it was normal at CO.
Yes, it was completely normal back in the pmCO days for employees to flip you off after making a simple request. I'm surprised you even got the $125 e-cert... I wouldn't expect anything for such a standard occurrence.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sulley
Well, maybe the planes need rejecting.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:13 am

Last night my SFO to ORD flight got cancelled. I was 10 min from boarding to SFO, when I got the call from booking, (after they had already changed the plane, so I had lost my upgrade seat). They tried to get me on another flight, and only possible one was out of LAX on DELTA the next day! All UA flights from LAX to ORD were also cancelled. Kicker: I received a meal voucher. I tried to use it at LAX, and the restaurant said that United is on a credit hold and they do accept their vouchers at this time. I asked what that means, he said "United never pays us back for the vouchers". That's bad! I'm a Platinum on Delta as well - re-thinking the benefits of pushing to keep my 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.