Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cancellations Getting Insane

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
There was a comment on the pilot's forum that this represents not cancelled flight but cancelled flight plans. Any credence to this? Just not familiar enough with flight stats.
That thread is "flight plans generated but not flown" ... I'm also curious to know the meaning of that.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
I've had two flights cancelled in the past 60 days. (about 20 segments flown) And three three long delays, two of which resulted in missed connections.

In the past five years or so that I had been flying CO, I don't EVER remember a cancellation or a delay long enough to cause a missed connection.

I can understand some "growing pains" with a merger of this magnitude, but this is getting ridiculous.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
According to Flightstats.com, 45 mainline flights cancelled today out of the domestic hubs. 18 of them in ORD. A319/A320 seem to be the biggest casualty today.
Any idea out of how many (45 out of how many to get a percentage)?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
this is nothing more than the summer of 2000 revisited for old times sake by the professionals at alpa.....refusing airplanes seems to be the norm. jeff needs to get those boys a contract and all will be well again for another 4 years
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sulley
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
It does seem cancellations are way up. Please write United and complain.

AD
Your work group wouldn't happen to know why, eh?

Please remember... be nice to the gate agents... the ones that actually have to *deal* with the pax.
Passengers usually know about cancellations before our work group does.

FAB
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:56 pm
Suspended

UA645 LAX-EWR just cancelled.

United Flight 645
Departure Date: Sun., Jul. 15, 2012

Departs:
Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Scheduled: 10:35 PM
Estimated: 10:35 PM
Terminal: Terminal 8
Gate: 81

Arrives:
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
Scheduled: 6:56 AM (Jul 16)
Estimated: 7:00 AM (Jul 16)
Terminal:
Gate: C73
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by cosflyer
this is nothing more than the summer of 2000 revisited for old times sake by the professionals at alpa.....refusing airplanes seems to be the norm. jeff needs to get those boys a contract and all will be well again for another 4 years
That was getting old 12 years ago. Yes, we are due a contract, but find another scapegoat. Management is an equal-opportunity abuser.

FAB
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by freshairborne
That was getting old 12 years ago. Yes, we are due a contract, but find another scapegoat. Management is an equal-opportunity abuser.

FAB

FAB,
are you kidding me??? you and i both know there have been a large amount of refusals that are contract related, it doesnt help your case when im throwing down a few beers at the crowne plaza festival city and 2 of your flying professionals are basically spilling the beans...as im trying to seal a deal with some omani clients....jeesh
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
You're implying that this massive amount of cancellations is due to a sort of pilot sit-in?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by freshairborne

FAB
Originally Posted by tkey75
You're implying that this massive amount of cancellations is due to a sort of pilot sit-in?

I'm not implying anything.....but when FAB who happens to be a strike prepardness coordinator AND says that mgmt is just as guilty he has implied that the refusals are valid AS HE HAS SAID NOTHING TO REFUTE WHAT I OVERHEARD AT THE BAR ABOUT THE REFUSALS. ONLY THAT MGMT IS JUST AS GUILTY
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I'm not implying anything.....but when FAB who happens to be a strike prepardness coordinator AND says that mgmt is just as guilty he has implied that the refusals are valid AS HE HAS SAID NOTHING TO REFUTE WHAT I OVERHEARD AT THE BAR ABOUT THE REFUSALS. ONLY THAT MGMT IS JUST AS GUILTY
No need to yell. I'm more curious about the cancellations being due to pilots refusing planes (on mechanical grounds, I assume) and not something else, like weather. Is this the fact of the matter?

I got out of the pro/anti union debate years ago.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
I don't buy the conspiracy argument, or even an argument that says that some disgruntled pilots are behaving differently than they otherwise might.

The simplest explanation is that the flight schedule is (as always) extra heavy in the summer, and UA has just enough personnel to cover what they have scheduled if everything goes perfectly---fewer than they need in the real world. I personally have not experienced any cancellations this summer, though I have had two delays due to crew rest issues that led to the cancellation of the subsequent flight using the plane I was riding. This is consistent with a simple under-staffing problem.

Back when I used to fly NWA, this was something that happened occasionally in the summer months, and it used to annoy the heck out of me... one of the few complaints I had about NWA!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
72 cancelled departing flights so far today. UA did manage a 60% on-time departure rate so far today and 64% on-time arrivals rate, so things are gradually improving.

Let's have a goal of at least 1 day with NO flights arriving or departing on time and at least 100 cancellations. Just a little more work and UA can achieve it.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mitchmu
This seems to be the new reality.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ca...lights-15.html

I think what we are learning is that this executive team thinks we were over entitled to expecting that UA would do what it says it will do and we are now being treated the way they think we deserve to be treated. It's gonna take massive losses to get rid of them.

Seriously, something big is happening. This once great airline seems to be self destructing.
These stats are unbelievable. I think United needs a management team that knows how to run an airline. Next week I will fly Southwest. Half the price and far more reliable.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by cjermain
I don't buy the conspiracy argument, or even an argument that says that some disgruntled pilots are behaving differently than they otherwise might.

The simplest explanation is that the flight schedule is (as always) extra heavy in the summer, and UA has just enough personnel to cover what they have scheduled if everything goes perfectly---fewer than they need in the real world. I personally have not experienced any cancellations this summer, though I have had two delays due to crew rest issues that led to the cancellation of the subsequent flight using the plane I was riding. This is consistent with a simple under-staffing problem.

Back when I used to fly NWA, this was something that happened occasionally in the summer months, and it used to annoy the heck out of me... one of the few complaints I had about NWA!

cjermain,
keep drinking the kool aid.... and enjoy your flight...im off to work cya

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.