Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cancellations Getting Insane

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by freshairborne
There is a distinction that you are ignoring. It's a different airline. UA and CO are under the same holding company, but United Express is not. I don't know what airline operates UX in & out of the Springs, but United Airlines isn't one of them.
Why does this distinction need to be made? I just fail to see how it has any relevance to me, a pax. I buy a ticket on United and I get on planes and I get to my destination. Just like Beerwoman92 buys an iphone from Apple, contacts Apple with any issues, etc.

I've posted it before, I've flown on regional jets on United and on Delta that are "operated" by the same airline but in reality the experience is either a United experience (no wifi, no proper meal, no plates or real glasses, etc.) or a Delta experience (wifi, a real meal, real plates and glasses, etc.).

I actually know a few United employees (as you have characterized them) who were pleasantly surprised by their experience when they actually flew on an express flight. Just as management drills in the company line whether or not it is accurate the various unions at United drill in that it is an important thing that express is not United and is inferior to mainline. Just as I question United management (more and more these days) I question the messaging from the unions as well. Reality usually resides somewhere between the two dogmatic views expressed.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Beerman92
Why does this distinction need to be made? I just fail to see how it has any relevance to me, a pax. I buy a ticket on United and I get on planes and I get to my destination. Just like Beerwoman92 buys an iphone from Apple, contacts Apple with any issues, etc.

I've posted it before, I've flown on regional jets on United and on Delta that are "operated" by the same airline but in reality the experience is either a United experience (no wifi, no proper meal, no plates or real glasses, etc.) or a Delta experience (wifi, a real meal, real plates and glasses, etc.).

I actually know a few United employees (as you have characterized them) who were pleasantly surprised by their experience when they actually flew on an express flight. Just as management drills in the company line whether or not it is accurate the various unions at United drill in that it is an important thing that express is not United and is inferior to mainline. Just as I question United management (more and more these days) I question the messaging from the unions as well. Reality usually resides somewhere between the two dogmatic views expressed.
It makes a big difference to the pilot's contract negotiations. There appears to be a significant issue about how many more flights will be outsourced to UX thus resulting in job losses to the pilot's union.

You can see their anger about the situation here:

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cal-ual-merger/
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by ualp
I have lost count on how many times I've had a mx person tell me that.

As I posted, the line guys WANT to fix the planes. And they're good at what they do.
However, they are not given the latitude to do the job.
More often than not they pop into the cockpit, tell us they're going to defer the offending system, and put an orange sticker on it.
Then the call falls on our shoulders to decide whether or not the deferral is acceptable for our flight.

In effect, we are made out to be the "bad guy" because the PILOTS shot the plane down.
Then, that's what gets communicated to the pax, often at the hands of our CS folks.
And 'round and 'round we go!
Seems like the bolded goes perfectly with the standard line that "the pilot is the final authority on the plane." With great power comes great responsibility.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:20 pm

Flight to California got cancelled

I suppose to fly California today morning and woke up at 4am got ready and had a email saying got cancelled. It's so disappointing and had to request for excuse from boss.

Called united customer service and they mentioned due some mechanical reasons, not sure how much truth is that?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Seems like the bolded goes perfectly with the standard line that "the pilot is the final authority on the plane." With great power comes great responsibility.
That's Spiderman!
A superhero I am not.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by vsr8282
I suppose to fly California today morning and woke up at 4am got ready and had a email saying got cancelled. It's so disappointing and had to request for excuse from boss.

Called united customer service and they mentioned due some mechanical reasons, not sure how much truth is that?

UA is leading the pack among majors for most cancellations once again today. Wonder if they'll set some kind of record on this.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
UA is leading the pack among majors for most cancellations once again today. Wonder if they'll set some kind of record on this.
Stats please.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Stats please.
Jul 16 (to date)

UA 46 cancelled - 67% on time overall
AA 6 cancelled - 81% on time overall
DL 12 cancelled - 81% on time overall

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...7-16&x=45&y=11

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...ate=2012-07-16

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...7-16&x=25&y=13

According to this international survey:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/story.do?id=1020

We're still doing much better than Tunis Air, which has a 44.10% on-time rating. It can be worse.

Last edited by FlyWorld; Jul 16, 2012 at 6:06 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by emu
Could there be marginal cases where pilots are a little more reluctant to fly a plane? Maybe... But let's give the pilots the benefit of the doubt and certainly not wholly blame them for the spree of cancellations.
We don't have to speculate about pilot motives when there is a very simple and objective explanation. When you cross fleet as aggressively as United has done, and your planes end up at airports overnight where there are no parts and mechanics qualified on that particular aircraft, minor annoyances don't get taken care of, and eventually, the aircraft goes MX.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:49 pm
emu

Programs: DL Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by halls120
We don't have to speculate about pilot motives when there is a very simple and objective explanation. When you cross fleet as aggressively as United has done, and your planes end up at airports overnight where there are no parts and mechanics qualified on that particular aircraft, minor annoyances don't get taken care of, and eventually, the aircraft goes MX.
that was my point...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by halls120
Glad someone gets it here!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
It does seem cancellations are way up. Please write United and complain.

AD
2 cancellation in a row and an invol. reroute into another airport with a total 7 hour delay last month EWR-PVD rerouted to EWR-BOS. United gave me 7k miles What a joke. They really don't care. Asked to be put on the Acela, but they said it was not possible anymore.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vsr8282
I got up at 4am ready to leave for my 6am flight to ORD and saw my flight was cancelled as well. Delays and cancellations are just happening a lot. I've had 4 cancellations since mid May that I couldn't attribute to weather and numerous UA and UAX flights that have been delayed over 1 1/2 hours awaiting inbound plane or crew.

UA can talk about how they are scaling back utilization and whatever, but the trust that UA can get us there on time is being lost quickly.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for posting this. What period of time does it cover?

Originally Posted by mitchmu
Jul 16 (to date)

UA 46 cancelled - 67% on time overall
AA 6 cancelled - 81% on time overall
DL 12 cancelled - 81% on time overall

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...7-16&x=45&y=11

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...ate=2012-07-16

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...7-16&x=25&y=13

According to this international survey:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/story.do?id=1020

We're still doing much better than Tunis Air, which has a 44.10% on-time rating. It can be worse.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I had two cancellations on my most recent trip - one mainline and one UX . Not to mention the random seat changes on 145s...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.