FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Cancellations Getting Insane
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:20 pm
jdvoigt

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Gold
I'm done...

I've been trying to be patient with UAL during this whole merger transition process. The past 2 weeks have pushed me over the top, so I am done with them. 8 of my last 14 flights have either been delayed or canceled. Last week I was heading GSO-ORD-LAX with the family for vacation. Got up that morning, checked the flight status, showed delayed 2 hours. OK so far as we had a 3 1/2 hour layover in ORD. Continue to monitor, and the delayed time holds, so we head to the airport. Check in, check our 5 suitcases, head to security. I just load my stuff on the x-ray belt, and the United agent is at the security checkpoint hollering my name, telling me the flight just canceled. I walk back to the ticket counter, and after a while, get re-routed GSO-CLT_LAX on US Airways (United can't get me tp LAX until almost midnight). I was told the inbound plane went mechanical, and was coming from Dayton Ohio (there are no DAY>GSO routes, so they were obviously scrambling to find us a plane.)

Then on our return trip home last Wednesday (redeye), we are almost an hour delayed leaving LAX because they had to replace a reading light bulb five rows behind me (seriously - is it really necessary to have all the reading lights working???) We get to IAD late of course, and we have 20 minutes to get to our connection. At our arrival gate I ask the gate agent to call our departing gate and tell them we are coming (5 of us). We run to the train, get to A concourse, run to our gate and the flight is closed (still 5 minutes before departure). Gat agent said operations told him to close it even though they can see we are on the ground. BTW, no one ever called him to tell him we were on the way. I pretty much lose it at this point, and lay into the gate agent. The plane is still sitting there, boearding door still open. He calls his supervisor, and they actually re-opened the flight and let us board. This was the only bright spot.

To top it off, I had a business trip this morning, GSO-ORD-MSN. Get to GSO for 6:19am flight, all shows on time. Wait, wait, wait some more. Finally about 6:10 the gate agent gets on the speaker and says they are looking for the crew - waiting for operations to get back to them. FInally the crew shows up about 6:45 (no reason given for the delay...but it was not required crew rest). We take off at 7:15, land at ORD at 7:45, and I somehow make a 17 minute connection.

Too many problems/cancellations/delays. I travel 150 - 175 segments a year, and I have never seen it this bad. I will push my business to US Airways and Delta. Sayonara United...