Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cancellations Getting Insane

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:00 am

Email came in at 2am, my flight tomorrow ORF to EWR cancelled, rescheduled for Saturday. Bad weather up in the northeast is the explanation. Better than finding out at the gate last time I was stuck overnight in Chicago, but still sucks.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16 July UA 936 IAD-ZRH cancelled
17 July UA 937 ZRH-IAD cancelled
18 July UA 978 EWR-ZRH cancelled
19 Julu UA 979 ZRH-EWR cancelled

Beg of June: IAD-ZRH-IAD cancelled

I agree with OP this is getting insane; I never ever recall cancellations of ZRH flights in this order ever before.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: US Gold
There were a lot of thunderstorms around EWR last night. I was on the EWR-LHR UA114 22:05 flight, and it finally left at 1:09AM, landed 12:51, two hours and 36 minutes late. What I hadn't reckoned with is that the departure boards at EWR don't show status, only expected boarding time, and they don't call flights in the club, so you have no way of knowing whether your flight is *actually* boarding or is about to be delayed another chunk of time. At midnight, two club staff told me the flight wasn't boarding yet; one said I'd probably get better information at the gate. Got down there to find they'd already boarded everyone in the waiting area.

Very confusing.

wg
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:55 am

Flying CPH-EWR-YUL yesterday - got notification through BBerry Travel (not from UA) that the EWR-YUL segment was cancelled, as I was boarding in CPH, at around 2am in EWR. I assume nobody was cancelling flights at 2am on the basis of future weather 12 hours later. On landing in EWR, got the UA messages; good news, they rebooked me; bad news, they did not rebook me on the next available flight (a codeshare with AC), but on the one after that; good news, there was actually an earlier flight available (earlier than my initial connection) - and got on that without too much drama at the service counter.

Still, surprising to see cancellations for afternoon flights being announced in the middle of the night. This is most probably on-the-fly load balancing, maybe trickle-down eqpt re-positioning after a complicated day before, but not current weather nor mechanical.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Fair enough. And, my question is whether $mi$ek, with his ruthless focus on cost cutting, is also cutting the safety margin. He's cut absolutely every single thing that I can see. I can't see maintenance and safety but it's becoming increasingly hard for me to believe on faith that maintenance and safety hasn't also come under the knife so he can make more money faster. So, perhaps the planes are becoming less safe, and the pilot refusals are reflecting that. This hypothesis is not difficult for me to believe. And, it's a cause of great concern. If you don't believe that management greed and incompetence can kill people, just review the case of AK 261.
What (s)he said. I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion. 4 of my last 6 segments (all in July) have had a mechanical issue or delay due to a prior mechanical on that plane.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
UA 917

IAD-SEA -

An hour or more late nearly every day this week and today cancelled -

UA RESPONSE
0917/19JUL
P FRA/OUT 1216P E00.04 ‡
P FRA/OFF 1254P
P IAD/ETA 319P L00.17
N SEA/LX AIRCRAFT SERVICING
D HDQ/IAD SEA PROT UNDER GG CN2 R22

Cancelled in the am for a 530P flight due to "aircraft servicing"?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:58 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I know there were some weather issues, but all 3 SFO-ORD redeyes are delayed tonight due to "arrival of crew"... 2 of which seem to be significant. Saw on time arrival/dep on flightstats and we are in the 40-50 range.

Bad day for UA
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
UA735 EWR-SFO (ghetto 767) cancelled after a 4hr mechanical delay (2hrs on the plane). Apparently hydraulics are required to fly planes these days!

Everything else out of EWR to SFO delayed 90+ minutes due to weather. Fun ride home, but here now thankfully.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
16 July UA 936 IAD-ZRH cancelled
17 July UA 937 ZRH-IAD cancelled
18 July UA 978 EWR-ZRH cancelled
19 Julu UA 979 ZRH-EWR cancelled

Beg of June: IAD-ZRH-IAD cancelled

I agree with OP this is getting insane; I never ever recall cancellations of ZRH flights in this order ever before.
Hmmm, had a flight EWR-ZRH about a month and a half ago which ended up being cancelled. Of course that screwed up the return flight of ZRH-IAD the next day. It becomes a domino effect once one of those flights go MX.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by GroundStop
UA735 EWR-SFO (ghetto 767) cancelled after a 4hr mechanical delay (2hrs on the plane). Apparently hydraulics are required to fly planes these days!

Everything else out of EWR to SFO delayed 90+ minutes due to weather. Fun ride home, but here now thankfully.
Not going to excuse the delays and cancellations. I have noticed that there are typically 10-12 flights a day now on that route. I think that is more than PMUA+PMCO by a good 2-4 flights a day.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:32 am
C4T

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold, Marriott Platinum
Delays and Cancellations

I am just about to the break point with the delays and cancellations. Jeffy's little dialogue about service prior to the safety briefing is really becoming a joke and unfortunately so is this airline. I knew going into the merger there would be teething pains and got through most of them. Now UA is hitting a slide and I am not sure where the bottom is. Time to look toward Southwest I guess, at least they get there on time most of the time.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: co, aa, ua, hilton, hyatt
This from today's JoeSentMe.com:

United cancelled 1,044 flights in the 30 days ending on Tuesday (July 17). That is more than four times the cancellations (235) racked up by Delta Air Lines in the same 30-day period and more than twice the 499 cancellations recorded by American.

The direct link: http://tactical.biztravelife.com. It's password protected, however.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: CX DM, Shang Jade, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lizinatizzy

United cancelled 1,044 flights in the 30 days ending on Tuesday (July 17). That is more than four times the cancellations (235) racked up by Delta Air Lines in the same 30-day period and more than twice the 499 cancellations recorded by American.

The direct link: http://tactical.biztravelife.com. It's password protected, however.
Thanks for sharing this. ^
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by lizinatizzy

wondering where we can see the actual metrics for the industry on this (the password protection makes that link kind of useless for me). i'm not saying UA's cancellations aren't ridiculous nowadays (i've been the victim of them more often lately) but personally i'm getting cancelations on my AA flights as well. being EWR based the storms in the NE lately have been pretty crazy and affecting all three airports it looks.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZjohns
Hmmm, had a flight EWR-ZRH about a month and a half ago which ended up being cancelled. Of course that screwed up the return flight of ZRH-IAD the next day. It becomes a domino effect once one of those flights go MX.
I am really wondering, if the existence of a second ZRH flight past merger entices to drop one of the two, if the " load numbers don't add up" - outside legit weather issues of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.