Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
SFO-TPE is just too little, too late especially if it's on a 787.
Taiwan soon will join USA visa-waiver program. Expect many tourists from Taiwan to visit USA.

If UA can offer midnight departure from SFO. The morning arrival in TPE will provide more convenience for connecting to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, and China, etc.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Does SFO-TPE spell the end of the NRT-TPE flight? If so, where does the NRT-TPE slot go? Possibly to DEN-NRT for the 787 flight?

Nice to see some of the routes for the new 2-cabin international 763's (SFO-CDG)!

jhayes_1780 made this prediction in this thread...
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Maybe NRT-TPE goes back to SFO-TPE?

Last edited by warreng24; Jul 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gengar
SFO-TPE is just too little, too late especially if it's on a 787.
It will be on a 3-cabin 772.
Originally Posted by halls120
The issue hasn't been EWR-DUB, ...
I'm glad to hear that TATL flying on the 752 is actually not so ridiculously reprehensible any more as previous posts have suggested.
Originally Posted by Halo117
Heck yeah....many business decisions are made to retaliate and/or bluff against decisions made against a company involved reardless of the financial impact.
In the real world?

So in essence United will lose O&D traffic and connecting traffic while ceding market share in the southwest/mexico area and you think this was done as financially sound business move.
Why do you believe that the claims that they were losing money on the canned routes were false?

All of this occurring in the past 2 months....great coincedence or retaliation?
These cuts were coming anyways. The Hobby thing was seen by some as a convenient excuse to shift the blame for the cuts. Reality is they were almost certainly happening anyways.

I just don't see how Jeff is planning to make up for the cuts at IAH that will keep his O&D/regional connecting passengers/ground staff happy to stick with UA. I know Jeff's game plan...he will try to show that IAH is losing more money than they gain from HOU INTL flights, so that the city may come back with great incentives as an apology, but at the same time its a big gamble because he is causing alot of ill will toward many O&D and connecting passengers.
Or, you know, choosing to stem the bleeding on routes where they were losing money anyways. The idea of optimizing passenger flow over the network is very real.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12

I'm glad to hear that TATL flying on the 752 is actually not so ridiculously reprehensible any more as previous posts have suggested.
Where exactly did I (or anyone else, for that matter) say that flying a 752 TATL was "ridiculously reprehensible"?

Originally Posted by sfonorth
Looks like the flights are loaded into the system:

UA 990 SFO-CDG 14:45-10:45 (+1)
UA 991 CDG-SFO 10:00-12:50

Good flight times. Arrives in CDG earlier than if via a connecting flight. Return flight is a bit early though. Checking in at CDG-T1 is a zoo.

Anyone know what the SFO-TPE-SFO flight times will be?
Am I reading this correctly? The outbound aircraft is going to sit at CDG for 23 hours?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:28 pm

Am I reading this correctly? The outbound aircraft is going to sit at CDG for 23 hours?
I was wondering that also.

Perhaps UA is planning a rotation with the 763 on the IAD-CDG or ORD-CDG flights? That means that one of those may be going 2-cabin instead of 3-cabin.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by warreng24

Perhaps UA is planning a rotation with the 763 on the IAD-CDG or ORD-CDG flights? That means that one of those may be going 2-cabin instead of 3-cabin.
My guess is the ORD flight as it is already the ex-getto plane
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Taiwan soon will join USA visa-waiver program. Expect many tourists from Taiwan to visit USA.

If UA can offer midnight departure from SFO. The morning arrival in TPE will provide more convenience for connecting to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, and China, etc.
The daily EVA Air SFO-TPE leaves at 1am, and the additional Sunday frequency leaves at 12:30am.

There's also additional twice-weekly SFO-TPE Eva Air service on Wed and Friday that leaves at 5:15pm.

We'll see what UA does. One comparison: the year-long, afternoon UA SFO - FRA frequency basically overlaps an LH frequency, with the seasonal evening SFO - FRA frequency.

Eva has tons of frequency out of TPE so it may not matter too much from an onwards connection opportunity. Just depends if UA wants you lose a partial day of work by leaving in the afternoon, before the work day is over

I think IAD-CDG was already going to be a 2 class 763, so that may indeed be the answer, since the IAD flight will arrive in CDG before the SFO flight.

Programs: United Plat
Does SFO-TPE spell the end of the NRT-TPE flight? If so, where does the NRT-TPE slot go? Possibly to DEN-NRT for the 787 flight?

Nice to see some of the routes for the new 2-cabin international 763's (SFO-CDG)!
I hope UA keeps NRT-TPE. UA flew non-stop SFO-TPE from 1990 to 2001(?). Then 2007 to 2008. During these periods, NRT-TPE service was never cancelled. I even remember that UA fliew TPE-NGO-SFO while keeping TPE-NRT.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:38 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

The IAD-CDG flight will go to a 2 cabin 763. I am not sure when this will take place, but probably before SFO-CDG starts.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:39 pm

I think IAD-CDG was already going to be a 2 class 763, so that may indeed be the answer, since the IAD flight will arrive in CDG before the SFO flight.
I think this is the answer. I picked a random set of days April 18 & 19.
SFO-CDG 763 (2-cabin)
1445-1045 +1
CDG-SFO
1000-1250

IAD-CDG 763 (3-cabin)
1715-0655 +1
CDG-IAD
1225-1509

ORD-CDG 763 (3-cabin)
1805-0925 +1
CDG-ORD
1115-1330

EWR-CDG 764 (2-cabin)
1810-0745 +1
CDG-EWR
0925-1155
The ORD flight wouldn't be able to turn around quick enough to do CDG-SFO. My guess is that UA will either 1) downgrade EWR if loads don't look good or 2) turn the IAD flight 2-cabin.

Last edited by warreng24; Jul 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mmack
What do they do there? Is there a Disney theme park?
Disney Online Studios Canada is there. This studio produces Disney's "Club Penguin" website
http://www.clubpenguin.com/company/jobs/index.htm
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:41 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by zoegksf
My guess is the ORD flight as it is already the ex-getto plane
I haven't heard of that yet... AMS is the only route that I know of out of ORD that will have the ex-ghetto bird.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:45 pm

The ORD flight wouldn't be able to turn around quick enough to do CDG-SFO. My guess is that UA will either 1) downgrade EWR if loads don't look good or 2) turn the ORD flight 2-cabin.
The times of the IAD flight work great with the SFO flights based on this. :-:
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Have you even looked at O&D numbers for IAH? I'm guessing you haven't.
You assume (incorrectly) that I have not looked at the data? You asked if poor financial decisions are made to make a point and I made mine to which there was no rebuttal

Now you change the subject yet again, don't provide any data and choose one data point about passenger traffic (with no support). Please provide some real responses to this discussion. I actually would like a real discussion if you or anyone on this board agree or disagree to my assertions.

Here are some facts for all...SFO (all carriers) departing traffic CY 2011 20.04 Million...IAH (all carriers) CY2011 19.31 million now if your saying that UA has 5% more UA traffic at SFO than IAH, then yes they are bigger, but I highly doubt it.

I agree with another poster that UA will lose money if they lose IAH and I feel these new announcements do not create any good feelings towards UAs view of IAH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.