Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by sbm12
It will be on a 3-cabin 772.
Good to hear that.

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Taiwan soon will join USA visa-waiver program. Expect many tourists from Taiwan to visit USA.

If UA can offer midnight departure from SFO. The morning arrival in TPE will provide more convenience for connecting to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, and China, etc.
US-based carriers never seem to do the night departures. I'd expect the historical 1-2pm departure.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Glad to see SFO-CDG back as I would prefer not to be relegated to SkyTeam (AF). I suspect SFO-FCO would be even more popular. Too bad it doesn't start for another year.
Hey, AF's not your only option. I noticed at SFO there's big signs up welcoming the arrival of "XL Airways" for a daily seasonal nonstop to CDG.

I must admit I'd never actually heard of XL before. Apparently though, if you feel like travelling nine-abreast in an A330 for twelve hours, they're your guys! They'll also take you from CDG to fun destinations like Agadir, Larnaca and Djerba, so this provides a much-needed one-stop option for the popular SFO-Djerba route.

Seriously though, can't complain about a new SFO-CDG on *A metal, especially not a newly-reconfigured (?) 763.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zoegksf
My guess is the ORD flight as it is already the ex-getto plane
I think I read somewhere that ORD-CDG and/or IAD-CDG is going 2 class ex-ghetto bird in the fall.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: One Pass
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Methinks it's a done deal as far as City of Houston is concerned. With the kind of investment WN is bringing, I don't see them going back @:-)

EmailKid
Not yet. It'll be a done deal when the new UA pulls out the Flight Attendant and Pilot Training centers, along with the pilot simulators, one or both res centers, the rest of the Smith St. and Jefferson St. operations ect.... All this was committed to Houston when the merge was signed. The city of Dallas turned WN down when they proposed the same international operation at DAL instead of DFW and they are headquartered in Dallas. Why would the new UA still commit billions of dollars to Houston? As was reported, UA will keep a sizeable operation at IAH but me thinks that most of the support ops will be moved elswere. I'm sure Cleveland would love a new UA res center and all of the jobs that comes with it. The real estate is just as cheap.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by sfonorth
Plus, Taipei's terminals are so much better than Narita's.
Are you joking?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'm glad to hear that TATL flying on the 752 is actually not so ridiculously reprehensible any more as previous posts have suggested.
Lots of twisting with this statement - to recap for you:

- Generally speaking, 752 experience less desirable than a widebody, net-net
- 752s okay on thin routes that otherwise wouldn't get service (2nd tier UK destinations and the like)
- 752s not okay to 1st tier cities (such as Paris)
- 752s not okay when it pushes the a/c limits (such as westbound CDG/AMS-IAD)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by silent129
SFO-TPE is very welcome news! I thought they initially nixed this route because it wasn't economical so I wonder what changed. Now if only they would start EWR-TPE...
Ideally it would be EWR-YVR-TPE. I think that it would make for more competition vs CX and YVR-TPE routes I have noticed (they depart at almost the same time as CX889) are becoming very full.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Ideally it would be EWR-YVR-TPE. I think that it would make for more competition vs CX and YVR-TPE routes I have noticed (they depart at almost the same time as CX889) are becoming very full.
They wouldn't be able to sell YVR-TPE.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

- 752s okay on thin routes that otherwise wouldn't get service (2nd tier UK destinations and the like)
Agreed. Last month did 752s EWR-CDG (in BF was rather unremarkable) and CDG-IAD (in Y and was pretty long and uncomfortable by the end even without a visit to Gander). On the return, got trapped in the aft lav/gallery area while FAs did a drink service. On a wide-body, there may have been an alternative route to my seat.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
US-based carriers never seem to do the night departures. I'd expect the historical 1-2pm departure.
Some of my thoughts on the resumption of SFOTPE:

1 - government approval might be some kind of codeshare with EVA, not for operating the route

2 - UA is likely to keep the original 845/844 schedule. Departing SFO/TPE early afternoon and arrive TPE/SFO early evening/mid morning. It is probably more about feeding people into UA's US network rather than into BR's network out of TPE (since the time won't be optimal)

3 - Let's hope it will last this time

4 - TPENRT does have a decent load and following and provides decent connections to the US. It seems the smallest they should downguage should be to a 767 but I am sure a 767 is better used elsewhere...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by channa
Oooh... spite routes to get back at Houston. Bring it on!
+1
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm glad to hear that TATL flying on the 752 is actually not so ridiculously reprehensible any more as previous posts have suggested.

Should be a sticky in Houston. ^
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Originally Posted by goalie
^ and I am doing a MAJOR happy dance on this change I actually do like
There you are You are the first person I thought of when I heard this on the TV this morning. I am glad it's back too, just hoping they release I/IN for us more than 24 hours before flight.
Thank you ^ and there were others who thought like you as well as I had "just a few" e-mails and texts this morning. Now as to award and/or upgrade space methinks this one is gonna be tough to clear in general as I think it's gonna be one of those "prized routes" (and especially in the early days of the route and given that starts in April and primed for summer travel after that)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:01 pm
SST

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Hey, AF's not your only option. I noticed at SFO there's big signs up welcoming the arrival of "XL Airways" for a daily seasonal nonstop to CDG.

I must admit I'd never actually heard of XL before. Apparently though, if you feel like travelling nine-abreast in an A330 for twelve hours, they're your guys! They'll also take you from CDG to fun destinations like Agadir, Larnaca and Djerba, so this provides a much-needed one-stop option for the popular SFO-Djerba route.

Seriously though, can't complain about a new SFO-CDG on *A metal, especially not a newly-reconfigured (?) 763.
I've actually been to Djerba; it's quite special (and now perhaps there are fewer secret police) and lovely. Don't knock it. Agadir is pretty at the beach, too. Morocco and Tunisia are quite the vacation spots for Europeans. Perhaps that's why XL picks SFO (and this isn't the first year they've served it). It's also a favorite for Europeans. Look for their planes to be jam packed in August; other times, my sister in law reported that you may have the row to yourself, which I can hardly expect on United these days....
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Cbmaz
Not yet. It'll be a done deal when the new UA pulls out the Flight Attendant and Pilot Training centers, along with the pilot simulators
I was talking about done deal for city of Houston, not UA. UA will bluster, but eventually get on with business. And as someone pointed out (perhaps in the original thread about new terminal), there's a good chance that's what UA had in mind all along.

EmailKid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.