Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by channa
Note that IAH has no additional routes.
Plus, two of the routes (IAD-SAL/ORD-MTY) almost directly overfly the IAH hub.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Yikes. ORD to MTY in an RJ is going to be a long haul in a small plane. I guess no worse than the RJs (which I try to avoid) between MSP and IAH though...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt
It is too bad they didn't extend the flight from TPE-SIN. I would not mind an additional option to fly SIN to USA other than via HKG or NRT.

Also, still no news on CAN.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:50 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by vkng
IAD-SAL has me excited.
SAL is a major hub for TACA. Makes sense with them joining *A.

EmailKid
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
What we need is SFO-PTY, but that has a range issue on the 737. I doubt they could fill a 757 on that one.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
It's great to see the SFO-TPE direct flight return. It's such a nuisance connecting through NRT. And with EVA joining *A, there are new connection opportunities in Taipei. Plus, Taipei's terminals are so much better than Narita's.

Also, it's exciting to see the direct SFO-CDG flight return. No more connections in FRA.

Originally Posted by silent129
SFO-TPE is very welcome news! I thought they initially nixed this route because it wasn't economical so I wonder what changed. Now if only they would start EWR-TPE...

Last edited by sfonorth; Jul 10, 2012 at 10:11 am
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
LAX-YLW (Kelowna) is an interesting one. Kelowna sure is growing. Seems to be a healthy alternative to taking AS via SEA.

ORD-NAS is also interesting. Not aware of too many other overwater CR7 flights. Imagine they'll fly down to Miami and over rather than take the great circle though.

Wonder if there's a benefit to SFO-CDG being only 2 class with respect to the Chirac Tax?

UA further cementing their SFO hub on the west coast, while DL goes SEA and AA goes LAX.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:02 am

This is spectacular

This is great news from UA...

UA, extending the breadth of their incomparable route network. UA and *A have extended their lead on the competition / other alliances.

Although many people here still try to discount the value of a best in class route network, for me it is the most important factor in selecting which airline to fly (and the fact that I am SFO based works in UA's favor of course).

It will be interesting to see how / if AA and DL respond to this.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
What we need is SFO-PTY, but that has a range issue on the 737. I doubt they could fill a 757 on that one.
I didn't think that 75s were acceptable for 3000+ mile flights. Or is that just to Europe??
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
glad to see them adding SFO-TPE...no longer have to transit through NRT.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
ORD-NAS is also interesting. Not aware of too many other overwater CR7 flights. Imagine they'll fly down to Miami and over rather than take the great circle though.
Great circle never really takes them too far off the Florida coast.

Originally Posted by sbm12
I didn't think that 75s were acceptable for 3000+ mile flights. Or is that just to Europe??
It depends if they can perform the mission reliably.

There's a good 500 miles difference between SFO-PTY and CDG/AMS-IAD, where the 757s demonstrated range issues.

SFO-PTY 3,320
AMS-IAD 3,867
CDG-IAD 3,861

I'm also not sure how the winds would play on this one. CO doesn't seem to have a problem with EWR-LIM at 3,631 miles. I would imagine the winds are directional, mostly causing issues on westbounds like the AMS/CDG-IAD flights that were so problematic.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by vkng
IAD-SAL has me excited. I go there about twice a year and it's nice to have additional options.
Same here. It will be nice not having to connect in Houston, Dallas, or Miami.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bseller
Are you SERIOUS? Or have you simply not been reading any news regarding IAH, WN, and Hobby???

Dave
Yes, I am serious. All of the announced routes originate in PMUA hubs. How does that reflect spite to IAH? Are any of these underserved or lucrative markets that should be served from IAH instead?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
Yes, I am serious. All of the announced routes originate in PMUA hubs. How does that reflect spite to IAH?
The same way it shows spite towards EWR and CLE. And GUM. Since there were no new announcements of routes today it is clear that the company is ignoring those operations and shifting traffic away from them.

At least that's how it plays out when people look at each individual announcement as THE announcement rather than actually looking at the big picture. These threads are great for that sort of observation.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by sxf24
All of the announced routes originate in PMUA hubs. How does that reflect spite to IAH?
Yep, they sure do originate in pmUA cities.

Do you think that this COULD be a negotiation ploy with Houston officials over the WN situation????

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.