Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:21 am

Another Happy SFO/CDG Flier

The return of SFO/CDG is great news. No more having to take the dawn flight out of CDG to FRA just to make sure that any delays won't cause you to miss the connection to 901.

A little OT: Are these 767-300's being re-fitted with IPTE or have they already been completed?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
And from a REAL United hub no less. Love love love (j'aime) the return of SFO-CDG!!!

And all the love is for PMUA hubs. Finally things as they should be

I wonder if SFO-TPE will be blamed on WN @ Hobby as well.
+1

Time to drop IAH-AMS/LHR/GRU and move them to DEN You know, because of WN!

Originally Posted by DonSFO
A little OT: Are these 767-300's being re-fitted with IPTE or have they already been completed?
As of now, only one bird has exited the shop with the IPTE upgrades. A few more are in the shop right now, and the plan, IIRC, is to have them all upgraded by the end of 2012.

More info here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iguration.html

Lots of mx problems with that bird, though..
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:31 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Exciting to see the N/S to CDG returning!
^ and I am doing a MAJOR happy dance on this change I actually do like

Originally Posted by sxf24
Originally Posted by bseller
Originally Posted by sxf24
How is that spite?
Are you SERIOUS? Or have you simply not been reading any news regarding IAH, WN, and Hobby???

Dave
Yes, I am serious. All of the announced routes originate in PMUA hubs. How does that reflect spite to IAH? Are any of these underserved or lucrative markets that should be served from IAH instead?
I agree with my esteemed SF tour pax

WN announces its "moving in" to HOU
IAH-CDG (and imho, legacy fortress route) dropped
SFO-CDG announced

IAH-AKL announced with great fanfare
IAH-AKL subsequently dropped (yes two totally different routes but I see a pattern developing)

And imho, it's just the start of "stuff happening" at/to IAH
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
+1 - this decision, and route choices, with respect to IAH and WN/HOU isn't really that complicated
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
^ and I am doing a MAJOR happy dance on this change I actually do like

I agree with my esteemed SF tour pax

IAH-CDG (and imho, legacy fortress route) dropped
SFO-CDG announced

IAH-AKL announced with great fanfare
IAH-AKL subsequently dropped (yes two totally different routes but I see a pattern developing)

And imho, it's just the start of "stuff happening" at/to IAH
It's also possible that they make more money this way. Not everything is done out of spite as a loss leader, even if that makes for a better narrative. @:-)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Glad to see SFO-CDG back as I would prefer not to be relegated to SkyTeam (AF). I suspect SFO-FCO would be even more popular. Too bad it doesn't start for another year.

The rest of the expansion routes do nothing for me, though I can see how TPE will be popular in Silicon Valley. UA could make some serious coin by adding a nonstop to the Middle East to compete with Emirates (I found SFO-DXB on EK to be unimpressive, except for the SFO lounge).

There's really no need for so many TATL flights from IAH now that IAD is part of the mix. IAH makes sense as a gateway to Latin America and maybe Africa - but otherwise they can simply connect through hubs on the East Coast and West Coast.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
It's also possible that they make more money this way. Not everything is done out of spite as a loss leader, even if that makes for a better narrative. @:-)
let me get this straight....you actually believe that United was losing money on the IAH-CDG route just because they said so?....I guess you them must believe you are an over entitled elite...I mean United said so!

The writing is on the wall...United is doing this out of spite to IAH...worst thing is that they essentially gave all CDG bound traffic from southwestern (no pun intended) US/Mexico to AA and DL....a very sound business plan
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
What?! Neither SFO - TPE nor SFO - CDG are winglet equipped 757s?!

With Eva Airlines joining Star, plenty of connecting opportunities via TPE. Smart move. Aditionally, TPE - GUM is well within the reach of the 737.

What happens to the 772ER pmUA NRT - TPE? Seems like that's a goner - or at least easily replaced by the new intra-Asia flagship, the 737. If the latter happens, Internet Brands (the operator of Flyertalk.com) will be happy as more page views and ad impressions will occur, the result of a new, highly trafficked FT thread about inferior pmCO intra-Asia C/F hard product on a pmUA route.

Houston: Even though it's the "4th" largest whatever in the USA, that doesn't equate into its local population traveling all the routes flown out of IAH in a sufficient number to sustain their individual existence. A healthy mix of connecting and O&D traffic ... makes things happy.

Just ask DL regarding their "success" (read: multiple suspensions) with Shanghai service from their "fortress" hub at ATL. What?! People in the South don't go to China?! People don't want to fly LAX - ATL - PVG when they can fly LAX - PVG?!

Speaking of places where people would go between with plenty of O&D traffic, Why doesn't UA fly LAX - HKG?

Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Nonstop Sfo to CDG & TPE

Look forward to return of these nonstops since I last flew them 7+ years ago
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I dunno as iirc, the old SFO-CDG flight was not a money maker (tho I'm not sure that was with or without the mail contract)

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paulyras
Yikes. ORD to MTY in an RJ is going to be a long haul in a small plane. I guess no worse than the RJs (which I try to avoid) between MSP and IAH though...
Or SFO and DFW or MCI... i swear those are the best uses of a RPU
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Halo117
let me get this straight....you actually believe that United was losing money on the IAH-CDG route just because they said so?
And you actually believe that a public company would make a financially poor business decision to prove a point?

I dunno as iirc, the old SFO-CDG flight was not a money maker (tho I'm not sure that was with or without the mail contract)
I was actually just lensing with respect to IAH-CDG v SFO-CDG.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Looking forward to the SFO-TPE/CDG non-stop, the two international cities that I've been going to most over the last few years. I definitely have missed UA 960/961 that used to do SFO-CDG non-stop 8 years ago.

It looks like they're using the refitted ghetto 767s for SFO-CDG since pmCO did not have 767-300s. And there are far fewer E+ seats compared to the regular international 767-300s.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by greathustle
Or SFO and DFW or MCI... i swear those are the best uses of a RPU
+100

I've used two CR1s on SFO-MCI, and cleared UDU twice on MCI-SFO.. A long route, although it's better than having to connect in DEN or IAH (unless I want an airline meal )

UA runs mainline (A319, IIRC) to STL from SFO. Wish we could get an A319 or even a 735 on the SFO-MCI route.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:13 pm

I was actually just lensing with respect to IAH-CDG v SFO-CDG.
Gotcha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.