Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
It depends if they can perform the mission reliably.
Hmm....that's not what I've read on here before. There are a number of posts all over these forums saying that TATL on the 752 is wholly unacceptable. Never mind that EWR-DUB is shorter than SFO-PTY.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bseller
Yep, they sure do originate in pmUA cities.

Do you think that this COULD be a negotiation ploy with Houston officials over the WN situation????

Dave
What route should they have announced from IAH instead?

In reality, I think this reflects the opportunity to leverage the larger, post-merger network and fleet.

Further, you live in Chicago. Why the heck should you care about flights from IAH?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:37 am

Do you think that this COULD be a negotiation ploy with Houston officials over the WN situation????
Yes, just like the negotiation ploy in play at EWR, CLE, GUM and NRT.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Hmm....that's not what I've read on here before. There are a number of posts all over these forums saying that TATL on the 752 is wholly unacceptable. Never mind that EWR-DUB is shorter than SFO-PTY.
And some people have that opinion.

I've personally flown the 752 TATL a handful of times. Not as spacious, obviously, as a widebody, but it did get the job done (without a fuel stop, I might add).
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:39 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Methinks it's a done deal as far as City of Houston is concerned. With the kind of investment WN is bringing, I don't see them going back @:-)

EmailKid
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Have they never flown SFO-TPE before? I'm surprised that requires govt approval.

Also, Copa flies PTY-LAX daily on a 737-800, so a 757 should have the range for a SFO-PTY run shouldn't it?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ORDSteve
Have they never flown SFO-TPE before? I'm surprised that requires govt approval.
They definitely have. Perhaps their prior approval expired or was given to someone else because of non-use.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
LAX-YLW (Kelowna, BC) is a real head scratcher for me. Why from LAX and not SFO where there's a much larger hub?

-RM
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
LAX-YLW (Kelowna, BC) is a real head scratcher for me. Why from LAX and not SFO where there's a much larger hub?

-RM
Fair amount of Disney traffic on that route. Disney is in the top 10 of employers in Kelowna.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Exciting to see the N/S to CDG returning!
And from a REAL United hub no less. Love love love (j'aime) the return of SFO-CDG!!!

And all the love is for PMUA hubs. Finally things as they should be

I wonder if SFO-TPE will be blamed on WN @ Hobby as well.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
"The airline will also begin daily year-round service between San Francisco and Charles de Gaulle International Airport in Paris on April 11, 2013, subject to government approval. The Paris flights will operate with Boeing 767-300 aircraft with 214 seats – 30 in BusinessFirst, 49 in Economy Plus and 135 in economy."

Finally! I couldn't believe United dropped that route in the first place. This will give me another/better option than flying through FRA. And, since I'm in Y just about all the time, I'll gladly trade the dreadful 747 for the 767. Anybody knows how long it typically takes to get government approval?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by laginibre
"The airline will also begin daily year-round service between San Francisco and Charles de Gaulle International Airport in Paris on April 11, 2013, subject to government approval. The Paris flights will operate with Boeing 767-300 aircraft with 214 seats – 30 in BusinessFirst, 49 in Economy Plus and 135 in economy."

Finally! I couldn't believe United dropped that route in the first place. This will give me another/better option than flying through FRA. And, since I'm in Y just about all the time, I'll gladly trade the dreadful 747 for the 767. Anybody knows how long it typically takes to get government approval?
Guessing it should be quick - probably transferring the rights from IAH-CDG to SFO-CDG.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sxf24
All of the announced routes originate in PMUA hubs. How does that reflect spite to IAH?
Yep, they sure do originate in pmUA cities.

Dave
What us there to negotiate? Houston can continue to show WN the LUV

Houston made the right decision, Smisek's crybaby antics notwithstanding

Meanwhile, I suddenly have a desire to walk along the Seine next year. Just like Our Last Summer (my wife and I not you and I)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Exciting to see the N/S to CDG returning!
YAY!!!! Welcome back! We surely missed you lots. I'm glad UA is reinstates nonstop SFO-TPE/CDG. I hope those route will be successful. It will get more tougher competition against another airline.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Extremely shocked to see ORD-YQT. It's my hometown, so I'm happy to have easier access to YQT without having to fly AC through YYZ. But it's a bit curious that UA figures they can make a go of it, when DL pulled MSP-YQT a few years ago.

Then again, maybe UA figures they can scoop up US-bound YQT-based AC travelers. They'll be able to earn AC points while flying UA, and yet not have to deal with US preclearance in YYZ (which can be a zoo in the morning), and would have the tiny Canadian customs in YQT on the way home. (I think the timing wasn't very good on the MSP-YQT flight.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.