FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1365034-new-returning-routes-sfo-tpe-sfo-cdg-ord-mty-iad-sal-others.html)

bmvaughn Jul 10, 2012 9:05 am

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

CHICAGO, July 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced plans to launch year-round and seasonal service on several new international and domestic routes, including:

New daily trans-Pacific and trans-Atlantic flights from San Francisco, United's largest Pacific gateway;
New flights from Chicago to points in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean;
New "Capital to Capital" service between Washington and San Salvador; and
Additional flights from Denver and Los Angeles.
United and its regional partners will operate these new routes with a mix of mainline and regional aircraft.

"These additional services underscore three commitments ..– to fly where our customers want to fly, to introduce new flights where we can profitably do so, and to be the clear leader in service and choice in each of our hub cities," said Jim Compton, United's executive vice president and chief revenue officer.

The newly announced and previously launched services are consistent with United's previously announced 2012 capacity guidance.
http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....262&highlight=

channa Jul 10, 2012 9:06 am

Oooh... spite routes to get back at Houston. Bring it on!

bmvaughn Jul 10, 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18902761)

I imagine stronger O&D to CDG in SFO than IAH. ORD-MTY.. there's already IAH-MTY. Same is true of SAL.

So not sure what you mean by spite.

nova08 Jul 10, 2012 9:11 am

Haha, basically. It is good to see SFO-TPE. Though I thought they weren't going to make any immediate additions to keep some slack in the 772 fleet. I guess the 787 will be onsite by then. I don't think moving CDG to SFO is a bad move.

FriendlySkies Jul 10, 2012 9:11 am

Exciting to see the N/S to CDG returning!

DeErEtYn Jul 10, 2012 9:13 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 18902790)
Exciting to see the N/S to CDG returning!

When was the last time UA flew nonstop SFO-CDG?

silent129 Jul 10, 2012 9:17 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 18902751)

SFO-TPE is very welcome news! I thought they initially nixed this route because it wasn't economical so I wonder what changed. Now if only they would start EWR-TPE...

luv2ctheworld Jul 10, 2012 9:20 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 18902785)
I imagine stronger O&D to CDG in SFO than IAH. ORD-MTY.. there's already IAH-MTY. Same is true of SAL.

Perhaps in reference to the decision that allows HOU have an international market primarily for WN?

vkng Jul 10, 2012 9:22 am

IAD-SAL has me excited. I go there about twice a year and it's nice to have additional options.

SEA1K4EVR Jul 10, 2012 9:23 am

Originally Posted by DeErEtYn (Post 18902809)

Good question.. and I'm thinking it was discontinued sometime around 2005-2006ish and when it did operate before it was a 3 class 767.

Nice to see the former ghetto birds will be put to good use!

phatom701 Jul 10, 2012 9:24 am

Originally Posted by DeErEtYn (Post 18902809)

I'm guessing around 2006. I remember flying to CDG from SFO in 2005, and sad to learn it got cancelled soon afterwards.

channa Jul 10, 2012 9:24 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 18902785)

Note that IAH has no additional routes.

Originally Posted by nova08 (Post 18902786)
Haha, basically. It is good to see SFO-TPE. Though I thought they weren't going to make any immediate additions to keep some slack in the 772 fleet. I guess the 787 will be onsite by then. I don't think moving CDG to SFO is a bad move.

SFO-TPE is going to be really saturated with BR joining Star Alliance (IIRC, they have 2x daily).

As for the slack, these long-haul routes start in Spring 2013. By then they'll have the 787s in the system.

sxf24 Jul 10, 2012 9:26 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18902876)
Note that IAH has no additional routes.

How is that spite? :confused:

SEA1K4EVR Jul 10, 2012 9:27 am

I agree.. there is definitely an element of spite in that release whether these new routes were planned long ago before the big vote in Houston or not.

bseller Jul 10, 2012 9:28 am

Originally Posted by sxf24 (Post 18902886)
How is that spite? :confused:

Are you SERIOUS? Or have you simply not been reading any news regarding IAH, WN, and Hobby???
:rolleyes:

Dave