Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New (and returning) routes! SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, ORD-MTY, IAD-SAL, others

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Imagine you'll get rebooked on ANA in Y (they wouldn't pay for C on ANA). They may give you the chance to cancel.
Thanks. If this is the return leg and I've used the outbound already, are they required to allow me to cancel and refund the unused portion or would this be a "favor"?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a surprise but the Taiwanese media reports that once the approval is received, the TPE-SFO will be:

UA 872 TPE-SFO 11:55 08:25
UA 871 SFO-TPE 13:30 17:55(+1)

so, similar to the old 844/845 schedule.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by uwr
You can always opt for SQ, whic flies
SFO-ICN-SIN
LAX-TPE-SIN
LAX-SIN
EWR-SIN
JFK-FRA-SIN
IAH-DME-SIN
Of course I can but I am also an UA Premire 1K and would like to utilize my GPUs, so SQ would not do. SIN-NRT-USA / SIN-HKG-USA have always been tough to confirm at bookings and always boils down to waiting at the gate.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Nice

hopefully, this will decompress some of the load on SFO-FRA and SFO-NRT
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Silver
Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
Disney's Club Penguin has 350 employees in Kelowna. Even including company traffic ex-LAX, is that enough to justify a new route? Interesting.
This route is subsidized by Kelowna. They really wanted this flight, as SoCal is the #1 tourist destination for their citizens, and the Disney traffic could help pay for the subsidy. UA will fly the route as long as the subsidy continues I imagine.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Last quarterly results I read one analyst attributing DL's strong performance in part to Japan...

How much money can UA make off a JV (vs. serving Japan directly themselves)?
Pretty much the same as if UA operated the route themselves from the USA. JV applies to routes from the US as well, so ANA gets to share in those profits. But UA also gets to coordinate pricing and schedules with ANA.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
What are the chances of putting a 787 on SFO-CDG? Duh! not much I see it's a 767-300.
Depends what their plans are for the deliveries in 2013. They will have only a handful to play with, and I imagine they will want them to be based out of the same city.

The question is, what city will that be? DEN-NRT will be 787, but that's not starting until April. IAH was to be the original base, but now that IAH-AKL is gone that may not be the case anymore. I imagine you could make SFO the base, and have it do DEN-SFO turns for repositioning. But that's a seperate topic
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:55 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
The simple truth is that 757 has the narrowest cabin. The seats are narrower than all the other single-aisle planes still flying made by Boing, and even more so by Airbus.
Aren't the seats on the PMCO 752's exactly the same as the new seats on the PMUA 763s?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:00 am

Programs: UA MM, HH Gold, SPG LT Gold
I have an award ticket in C for Feb 2013, EWR-NRT-TPE RT, all on UA metal, shall I be concerned or try to find NRT-TPE on NH?

Originally Posted by golfingboy
If you were upgraded from Y, you will be rebooked in Y on NH and you will be refunded whatever you used to upgrade.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
I'm surprised UA is bringing back the SFO-CDG route. The last time around the planes were filled but with milage runners and employees. The yields were trash and was a money loser, per UA manager at SFO.

As per their announcement, I guess they have a few corporate accounts to fill the front and it won't have a 1st class. But I still wonder about those milage runners/employees filling those seats.

As for the TPE route. Cargo will come into play and the prospect of Taiwan included in the VWP is encouraging.

Side note, looks like the second UA SFO-NRT flight will continue into the Winter schedule. Perhaps due to the loss of the NRT-TPE route to keep capacity in that region.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:10 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by pm6163
I have an award ticket in C for Feb 2013, EWR-NRT-TPE RT, all on UA metal, shall I be concerned or try to find NRT-TPE on NH?
In that case UA will rebook you on NH for NRT-TPE in C if there is saver C award space available. NH is pretty good at releasing award space on intra-Asia flights. I would look up NRT-TPE for your trip and if there is space available then give UA a call.

Last quarterly results I read one analyst attributing DL's strong performance in part to Japan...

Originally Posted by boilerla
Pretty much the same as if UA operated the route themselves from the USA. JV applies to routes from the US as well, so ANA gets to share in those profits. But UA also gets to coordinate pricing and schedules with ANA.
Revenue-wise, it will probably be the same and possibly less since that means UA will lose a bunch of NH codeshares, which means loosing customers who books their ticket through NH's channels, plus with more competition yields will be lower. Another big thing about JV is cost. UA cannot match NH's lower operating costs in/out of TYO. NH has far more flights in/out of NRT, so they can spread the fixed/sunk costs over more flights thus lowering fixed costs per flight, and they surely have more favorable contracts/agreements with various vendors in NRT. So, by letting NH take over the intra-Asia routes, funneling UA passengers onto NH flights, and working with NH, UA won't have to worry about the overhead costs associated with having those short flights and still get to enjoy a slice of the revenue pie on those routes. Same goes for NH in the US. It is better to work together to maximize yields and profitability than trying to compete with each other on a given route. Like Aristotle said "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts".

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 12, 2012 at 8:43 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by boilerla
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Revenue-wise, it will probably be the same and possibly less since that means UA will lose a bunch of NH codeshares, which means loosing customers who books their ticket through NH's channels, plus with more competition yields will be lower. Another big thing about JV is cost. UA cannot match NH's lower operating costs in/out of TYO. NH has far more flights in/out of NRT, so they can spread the fixed/sunk costs over more flights thus lowering fixed costs per flight, and they surely have more favorable contracts/agreements with various vendors in NRT. So, by letting NH take over the intra-Asia routes, funneling UA passengers onto NH flights, and working with NH, UA won't have to worry about the overhead costs associated with having those short flights and still get to enjoy a slice of the revenue pie on those routes. Same goes for NH in the US. It is better to work together to maximize yields and profitability than trying to compete with each other on a given route. Like Aristotle said "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts".
Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by username
Not a surprise but the Taiwanese media reports that once the approval is received, the TPE-SFO will be:

Beats the old NRT-TPE flight arriving late in the night at TPE.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by unavaca
Aren't the seats on the PMCO 752's exactly the same as the new seats on the PMUA 763s?
Seatguru

Boeing 757-200 (757) 31.0" 17.0"
Boeing 757-300 (753) (Originally Continental) 32.0" 17.2"
-----
Boeing 767-300 US (763) 31.0" 18.0"
Boeing 767-400ER V2 32.0" 17.9"

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Beats the old NRT-TPE flight arriving late in the night at TPE.
+1
Also, leave 1.5 hour latter in the morning for the TPE airport, less hurried and less traffic.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 13, 2012 at 7:27 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA G

Nice. 6pm arrival still gives me time to catch the HSR to the South side.

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Seatguru

Boeing 757-200 (757) 31.0" 17.0"
Boeing 757-300 (753) (Originally Continental) 32.0" 17.2"
Boeing 767-300 US (763) 31.0" 18.0"
Ah, I was talking about the seat in C. Yeah, 17" sucks.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 13, 2012 at 7:27 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by mckerrow
Rumor has been spread that UA NRT-TPE will be suspended from late October this year. If this was true, there would be no UA metal flight to TPE between late October 2012 and early April 2013. Also, ANA NRT-TPE will be operated by 772ER rather than 763 from late October this year.
Wonder if this is due to loss of passengers who go for the HND-TSA flights. If I were starting from Tokyo rather than SFO, I would definitely do that.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: Fallen UA Premier Silver and one-time 1K, AA EXP, DL steerage
Originally Posted by puregold86
glad to see them adding SFO-TPE...no longer have to transit through NRT.
Agreed. Bit of a surprising move, though....

Here I was, quietly hoping for the return of LAX-FRA....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.