Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by djohannw
Would such a situation be the rule, or was this a mistake? So in general with buy-ups, should I expect my ticketed class mileage, or the credit for the class the upgrade books into?
It depends. If you buy-up at purchase, prior to ticketing, no. If you buy-up after ticketing and before check-in, yes. If you buy-up at check-in or later, maybe.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
It depends. If you buy-up at purchase, prior to ticketing, no. If you buy-up after ticketing and before check-in, yes. If you buy-up at check-in or later, maybe.
Mine was after ticketing and before check-in, so that makes sense.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
BOS-IAD

Both tickets bought at the same time, T fare, same payment, etc, then split the PNR.

Traveler 1: 1K, no buy-up to F

Traveler 2: Silver, $89 buy-up to F

Called customer service.

Asked for a buy-up for Traveler 1, we are sorry, no buy up is available, would you like to change to a F fare for ~$400 USD? Mentioned the offer for Traveler 2, waited for supervisor. They did "see" the offer for Traveler 2, but could not sell it over the phone for either Traveler 1 or Traveler 2.

So it seems UA is keeping these offers a secret that is only web/mobile accessible. Definitely not a T-up, otherwise it would have been available for both travelers.

Last edited by johnden; Nov 2, 2014 at 9:31 am Reason: BWI -> IAD
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnden
BOS-BWI

Both tickets bought at the same time, T fare, same payment, etc, then split the PNR.

Too bad you didn't have a general member as well to see a $49 buy-up.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
BOS-BWI
IAD?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
BOS-IAD

Called customer service.

Asked for a buy-up for Traveler 1, we are sorry, no buy up is available, would you like to change to a F fare for ~$400 USD? Mentioned the offer for Traveler 2, waited for supervisor. They did "see" the offer for Traveler 2, but could not sell it over the phone for either Traveler 1 or Traveler 2.

So it seems UA is keeping these offers a secret that is only web/mobile accessible. Definitely not a T-up, otherwise it would have been available for both travelers.
Would like to see someone come up with an "innocent" explanation for this one.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Apologies if this has already been answered in this thread. I will be flying NRT-IAH in K with 3 others (no status). I will be platinum when I travel. Right now showing 0 R space. I was intending to apply copay + miles for upgrade to BF to be waitlisted. My questions are:

1) If I still end up waitlisted at checkin, will I still get a TOD offer?
2) If I accept TOD offer will I be refunded the copay + miles?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by happydude
Apologies if this has already been answered in this thread. I will be flying NRT-IAH in K with 3 others (no status). I will be platinum when I travel. Right now showing 0 R space. I was intending to apply copay + miles for upgrade to BF to be waitlisted. My questions are:

Not a T(ens)OD but to answer:

1) more than likely
2) yes, might take a phonecall if does not credit automatically

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgrades.html
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by happydude

TOD means "tens of dollars." If you are offered one of those from NRT-IAH, please let us know.

To answer your question, you might get a buy-up offer. It's not predictable. Waitlisting the upgrade will not affect your eligibility. Typical price these days for a TPAC buy-up these days is between $600-900.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
11/14/2014
ORD-PHL
$149 is what is showing on OLCI
K fare
declined, of course I am #3 on the upgrade list with 2 seats left. Here's hoping for a misconnect or no show.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cargojon
11/14/2014
ORD-PHL
$149 is what is showing on OLCI
K fare
declined, of course I am #3 on the upgrade list with 2 seats left. Here's hoping for a misconnect or no show.
You are also hoping that no one takes their TOD offer......
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: kayaker
PIT-ORD o/w 1/6/15
UA 1P
$189 instant upgrade at purchase from G (don't know how to check what the fare differential is for a "true" UP, can someone verify?), did not accept
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by o mikros
PIT-ORD o/w 1/6/15
UA 1P
$189 instant upgrade at purchase from G (don't know how to check what the fare differential is for a "true" UP, can someone verify?), did not accept
not a TOD

and yes, it's just a regular upfare from G. Actually I think it is too high. G is $69+ and LUP is $122 more (LAA14AKS/UPDI is $191+)
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
You are also hoping that no one takes their TOD offer......
Well, as it turned out, as a Plat I ended up #4 on the list. The real stinger was when thry came through E+ with 3 new BP's for the 3 people in front of me. 90 minutes in E+ was fine though.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Well, as it turned out, as a Plat I ended up #4 on the list. The real stinger was when thry came through E+ with 3 new BP's for the 3 people in front of me. 90 minutes in E+ was fine though.
not that bad, lately on PHL-ORD i've been in the teens on the WL as a 1K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.