Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
1/30/15 both me (1K) and Mrs PV (no status) are booked SMF-DEN-GRR in fare class L. The tickets are on separate PNR booked about two weeks apart. My buy up offer from reservation page - $658. Hers - $209.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
1/30/15 both me (1K) and Mrs PV (no status) are booked SMF-DEN-GRR in fare class L. The tickets are on separate PNR booked about two weeks apart. My buy up offer from reservation page - $658. Hers - $209.
If the fares were the same, that is seriously bizarre.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
The cost of the round trips was within $5 of each other. Slightly different fare codes. Hers may have a linked UPDI and mine not but more likely they're offering her the UPDI and me the M-UP. The cost of an M roughly aligns with this explanation.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nothing bizarre - SOP these days. It's the Premier Penalty you pay w/UA.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For fun you could take your MP number out of the reservation and add a random no status *A one and see what your buy up changes to.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
As for these issues being a product of bad IT, a revenue-generating system would never be allowed to be that dysfunctional. It is absolutely deliberate.
Nah there was an explanation by UA Insider quite a while ago that does support the notion that there are different processes at work and that the pricing models for elite and non-elite buy-ups may, at least in some instances, be based on pricing for Y/B/M fares vs. pricing for cheapest front cabin fare.

With UA IT, one should always give credence to the possibility of system dysfunction

Now, the failure to fix a known problem, that's a different issue.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Nice to be leading for a change...from DL forum

Originally Posted by teCh0010 View Post
When they try to sell me an upgrade at check in, inside the window, it really pisses me off.

The three things that have me shopping for another airline are FCM, the changes to same day confirmed, and removing EC seats as a benefit for gold.
Just read the TOD's (tens of dollars) threads over on the UA forum. This is one area that DL is actually copying UA instead of the other way around. On UA, if I don't clear at the window, you can be sure I'll see a buy-up offer until all seats are sold. Very rare to get a gate upgrade on UA. Much more common at DL (for now).
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:25 pm

2/5/15, UA869 (SFO-HKG), Offered at OLCI, $1369 (R to ?), 1K.

2/5/15, UA239 (LAX-SFO), Offered at OLCI, $89 (W to R?), 1K

Not exactly sure about the fare difference as it's a through RT JFK-HKG W Fare. For that kind of distance, ORD-HKG is borderline ok, SFO-HKG? Nah...
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
2/5/15, UA869 (SFO-HKG), Offered at OLCI, $1369 (R to ?), 1K.
$13xx is standard for the R to GF buy-up on a TPAC.

I'd love to know what class it books into. Probably ON. But if it goes into A, that would be a really nice bump in miles (at least for the next 24 days).
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the time of the return trip, my status had dropped from 1K to Silver. My buy up offer on the DEN-SMF return segment was $109 (GRR-DEN sold out). Mrs PV was offered $89 for this segment.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
$13xx is standard for the R to GF buy-up on a TPAC.

I'd love to know what class it books into. Probably ON. But if it goes into A, that would be a really nice bump in miles (at least for the next 24 days).

I did it once to Shanghai. In the MP record, it shows as "ZP"

United 857-ZP class
San Francisco-Shanghai 6,168 9,252 15,420 9,252 1.5
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
2/3 LAX EWR online check in $1249.00 one way.

Stayed in Y with 2 empty seats next to me. Very comfortable. Y was wide open, almost everybody had 3 seats to themselves.

Just purchased another LAX EWR - upon completion of ticketing, offered $1249 to upgrade. Of course I didnt' take it. After finishing ticketing, went into the reservation under upgrade, and it dropped to appox $800 3 minutes later.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Thanks for all the eye-opening responses. Small wonder there are so many UA veterans defecting to AA. Well, now I know to use UA as my secondary carrier since I can apparently get dirt-cheap upgrades at the expense of elites!
Saw a sign at the AA/US check-in counter that said "Ask about upgrading your flight to first class for as little as $75."

So AA seems to be catching on to the TOD gig.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Saw a sign at the AA/US check-in counter that said "Ask about upgrading your flight to first class for as little as $75."

The only difference being that both DL/AA clear all the elites waiting for upgrade before selling the TOD. United could have 45 GS members on the waitlist and sell the seats for peanuts to a non elite member.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Cargojon

Those have been around for ages (though the price has gone up from $50). I bought upgrades on US when I was a UA *G back in 2008.

The presence of the sign doesn't mean upgrades are available and most times they haven't been. It's there letting people know it may be available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.