Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:56 pm
dso

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Thanks (all) for the feedback.

Originally Posted by nomad420
"Usually" is key, on my last several flights (instruments applied on all) I would say it ran about a little better than half the time I would get the TOD offer (At OLCI or after). Don't ask me why or how it is decided that they throw one at you as I have no idea. A couple of months ago they kept sending me them after OLCI on a flight out of CLE every few hours with each one less than the last, I posted about it. I sat on my RPU and of course F got bought out. It is what it is.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by dso
Quick question - if you ware waitlisted for an upgrade with an instrument (GPU or mileage) and still on the 'hidden' list, but eligible for checkin; does United offer up-sell to you (when available), or will the system preclude that because you are waitlisted already?

Thanks!
Sorry for slow follow-up on this, but I have seen buy-ups on every instrument-WLd flight I've ever been on that had the requisite ZN/P space available. Often took half a dozen tries (website check-in, "more options" on the app, etc.), but usually at some point you get the offer. Worst case, I suspect a call to web support would get you sorted.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Not quite to day of departure, but it got low enough for me to bite.

8/11
IAH-DEN
T class

So 3 days in advance, under manage reservations, offered a buy up for $129 with about 5 seats left in F of 16 (I think). Took it, since work was paying for the underlying economy ticket, figured I could pay for the UG. The flight is likely going to be packed AF, so F vs E-..... worth it.

$129 is the lowest I've seen since booking it. It's gone all the way up to $300something and then back down in the past 2 weeks.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I didn't find a thread regarding upsell offers at times other than purchase or TOD. I usually try to check regularly to see what the existing offer is (if any) for upsell offers. Today I noticed the website was offering a $99 upsell for my DEN-LAS flight, and decided it would be worth it, if for no other reason than to get the extra PQM and PQS. But (as happens about half the time), when I clicked through, I get the "not available" message. I called and was transferred to web support, where they were happy to process the offer.
This happens to me every time I try to do this! Gets all the way through to the CC authorization (I get the CC alert that a charge was processed) but then it fails. Annoying!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
DEN-LAX
K Fare
At booking K-$104, P-$233
After booking offered fare difference to P ($129)
Declined and then Accepted

I was originally going to book AA an hour later in Y for $80. However I noticed the UA flight was on a domestic 777.

At first I declined the offer right after purchase. Decided to bite and went back on ua.com and paid up.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
DEN-LAX
K Fare
At booking K-$104, P-$233
After booking offered fare difference to P ($129)
Declined and then Accepted

I was originally going to book AA an hour later in Y for $80. However I noticed the UA flight was on a domestic 777.

At first I declined the offer right after purchase. Decided to bite and went back on ua.com and paid up.
Make sure it shows as an add-collect on the receipt so your get PQD and RDM for the $129. If it doesn't just cancel, refund, and book the P fare.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by findark
Make sure it shows as an add-collect on the receipt so your get PQD and RDM for the $129. If it doesn't just cancel, refund, and book the P fare.
I'm looking good on the receipt. I rarely fly UA anymore so if it doesn't work out I am not worried about the loss of PQD/RDM.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:15 pm

What does the add-collect look like on the receipt? Does anyone have a screenshot of what I'd be looking for? Just for future reference if I ever end up biting on an offer
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by eeflyer
What does the add-collect look like on the receipt? Does anyone have a screenshot of what I'd be looking for? Just for future reference if I ever end up biting on an offer
Sure, no problem. Grabbed the following at random from some of my receipts from last year. (Ignore the highlights as I had search enabled.)

If you see this, you purchased a "TOD offer"/premium cabin upsell. Your fee is non-refundable, non-transferrable, not part of the coupon value, and you will not earn PQD or RDM for the additional amount. This happens if you accept the upgrade offer (a) at booking, or (b) during or after check-in.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 1.18.14 PM.png
Views: 921
Size:  46.2 KB

If you see this, your actually changed your ticket to a First or Business class ticket. Your additional money has been added to the coupon value, the fare basis has been changed, and you will earn additional PQD and RDM. This happens if you accept the upgrade offer (a) using "Buy Up to United First" or similar from Manage Reservations, or (b) by calling and asking to change to the premium cabin with a change fee waiver per GG BUYUP:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 1.17.09 PM.png
Views: 941
Size:  54.8 KB

Your actual PQM earnings depend on the booking code, which varies in the first case and is always a revenue earning code in the second. This thread deals primarily with reports of offers using the first mechanism, whose pricing is less well understood.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:57 pm

Sure, no problem. Grabbed the following at random from some of my receipts from last year. (Ignore the highlights as I had search enabled.)

If you see this, you purchased a "TOD offer"/premium cabin upsell. Your fee is non-refundable, non-transferrable, not part of the coupon value, and you will not earn PQD or RDM for the additional amount. This happens if you accept the upgrade offer (a) at booking, or (b) during or after check-in.

Attachment 37735

If you see this, your actually changed your ticket to a First or Business class ticket. Your additional money has been added to the coupon value, the fare basis has been changed, and you will earn additional PQD and RDM. This happens if you accept the upgrade offer (a) using "Buy Up to United First" or similar from Manage Reservations, or (b) by calling and asking to change to the premium cabin with a change fee waiver per GG BUYUP:

Attachment 37734

Your actual PQM earnings depend on the booking code, which varies in the first case and is always a revenue earning code in the second. This thread deals primarily with reports of offers using the first mechanism, whose pricing is less well understood.
Cool, thanks a lot! PQD usually is my limiting factor since I rarely travel for business.

I think that United could be a lot more transparent in this. Hiding PQD and RDM earning differences for what a "normal, everyday passenger" would assume to be the same thing (paying to upgrade to first/business), just feels dishonest.

Ah well, there are bigger problems in the world.

Thanks again for the information!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:31 am

Attachment 37735

Attachment 37734

What does "EDD" stand for in the first example? I've had this numerous times and asked many CSRs, and no one seems to know. I'm wondering if this is the modern equivalent of the old "MCO" (miscellaneous charge order)?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Starman
What does "EDD" stand for in the first example? I've had this numerous times and asked many CSRs, and no one seems to know. I'm wondering if this is the modern equivalent of the old "MCO" (miscellaneous charge order)?
Basically, yes. "Electronic Debit Document"
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:00 am

UA1210 today (IAD-SFO)

3 F seats available, no TOD upgrade offer available as far as I can tell. First time I have seen no offer available with F2+ on a leg between those two airports.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:16 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I'm interested in buying up BOS-ORD sometime between now and our late September departure. Is $129 the best offer I'm likely to see?

Trying to understand the strategy...when is the best time to do it, etc. Thx!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Yes, $129 is the standard upsell for that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.