Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:02 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM

Im so confused and feeling slightly defeated.

Im on an itinerary by myself. The desired flight (YVR-ORD) has been upgraded with pluspoints.

My husband and minor son are on a separate itinerary. They are still waitlisted with pluspoints. The problem is that PZ space is only releasing 1 at a time. And the flight is now down to 5 seats left, 2 weeks out.

I would like to see the price for the cash upgrade. When I call in, the agent says they have to talk to the rate desk and the rate desk says the price is $600 per person because it has to price the whole return trip not just the flight in question. I dont understand this.

Any idea whats going on? Or how I can see a legitimate upgrade price without removing the pluspoints request?

Thanks as always!
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ericka
..Or how I can see a legitimate upgrade price without removing the pluspoints request? ...
Generally removing PlusPoint request to see the offer and then reapplyimg will have little to no impact on priority placement. Time of request is 8th factor, unlikely for another passenger to be tied for the other 7 factors.

I have noticed with PlusPoints applied that for CPU scrolling over the seat map will often show the offer but not for non-CPU flights
Mikity likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:51 am

thank you WineCountryUA for your prompt and good advise.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally removing PlusPoint request to see the offer and then reapplyimg will have little to no impact on priority placement. Time of request is 8th factor, unlikely for another passenger to be tied for the other 7 factors.

I have noticed with PlusPoints applied that for CPU scrolling over the seat map will often show the offer but not for non-CPU flights
Thanks! We might try removing the request.

Can you elaborate on the scrolling over the seat map thing? Ive not done this before.

And Happy New Year everyone!
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Can you elaborate on the scrolling over the seat map thing? ...
Go to the seat map in your reservation and select a seat in the first class cabin
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Go to the seat map in your reservation and select a seat in the first class cabin
OK. So that just took me to the upgrade page where no upgrade options are available. Are you saying this only works within the CPU window (1K = 4 days)?
Thanks for your patience, btw.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:46 pm

OK. So that just took me to the upgrade page where no upgrade options are available. Are you saying this only works within the CPU window (1K = 4 days)? ....
No but we never been able to pinpoint where it does appear. It may be international segments, even if CPU eligible may not show.. It does / did happen on domestic CPU eligible trips.
SPN Lifer and Ericka like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2 MM; IC Diamond Amb;
Hoping to find someone with experience with something like this. I have a SVQ (LH)-MUC, MUC-SFO (UA) and SFO-SNA coming up next week. The SVQ-MUC leg on LH departs SVQ at 14:55 on Monday Jan 9 which means I can check in, I think online, on Jan 8. I really need an upsell on MUC-SFO as I have a back issue. I am 1K in PP holding an A fare for the MUC-SFO...I do not leave MUC until 12:00 on Jan 10 with an 18 hour layover, which means I will be checking in much earlier than most. When and how will UA make an upsell offer assuming there are some available. At the moment it is J7 with 7 days left. Will UA make the offer at the check in and if not what to do to find one if it's not offered at that time.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: United currently plat
If one (me) purchases a TOD from economy to PP at purchase, can they then apply PlusPoints to Waitlist from PP --> F? This is for an HNL-ORD leg
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Sfo-ppt 1/6 ua115

Originally G fare upgraded to RN using plus points.

Before check-in PZ9 IN9 I9 $2000+

After check-in PZ2 IN1 I1 (showing 9 upgrade seats available so likely P or ZN which both are 9) $999.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Originally G fare upgraded to RN using plus points.

Before check-in PZ9 IN9 I9 $2000+

After check-in PZ2 IN1 I1 (showing 9 upgrade seats available so likely P or ZN which both are 9) $999.
Which route?
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:11 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Which route?
post title: Sfo-ppt 1/6 ua115
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
My mom had a K class SFO - EWR round trip and there was upgrade to Premium Plus (for $125 each way) so post purchase paid $250 to upgrade both way to R class fare (Premium Plus). Now I may need to change the dates but it seems in change trip option of "Trips" - its still picking up the original price associated with K Class fare.

Question: Wouldn't the upsell to R class fare take be taken into account when quoting the fare difference in the new ticket? (fare class it the same but date is different)
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:52 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
My mom had a K class SFO - EWR round trip and there was upgrade to Premium Plus (for $125 each way) so post purchase paid $250 to upgrade both way to R class fare (Premium Plus). Now I may need to change the dates but it seems in change trip option of "Trips" - its still picking up the original price associated with K Class fare.

Question: Wouldn't the upsell to R class fare take be taken into account when quoting the fare difference in the new ticket? (fare class it the same but date is different)
No, it's a non-refundable fee which is why it is discounted. If you had actually up-fared for $125 then it would be taken in to account. If you have status you might be able to get some leeway from a nice phone agent, would not count on that, though.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant

Originally Posted by jcturnbull
No, it's a non-refundable fee which is why it is discounted. If you had actually up-fared for $125 then it would be taken in to account. If you have status you might be able to get some leeway from a nice phone agent, would not count on that, though.
Got quite lucky with an MileagePlus Silver Agent when I called in - basically stated my issue and they are going to refund the $250 (upgrade to Premium Plus 2 x $125) but I would have had to buy the ticket in R class at point in time which was just K class fare + $250.60 so I ended up spending extra $.60 to get my flight changed to a new date which wasn't too bad. Better than some Delta Platinum Agents I been dealing with recently.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.