Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase (PCU) to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

PCU / Premium Cabin upgrade
Older term UFC / Upgrade First Class

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase (PCU) to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National

For those who have a fair amount of familiarity with Premium Plus booking and price fluctuations:

We've never flown in PP before, but were considering the buyup for an outbound flight IAD-LIS in April, and again outbound IAD-BCN in September. Currently in 32 K/L "preferred seating" thanks to my lowly Silver Premier status. (FYI, all flights are nonstop 767-400ER.)

As luck would have it, just before I was going to pull the trigger on the LIS flight, the buyup price jumped from $375 to $847. Not a price I would consider. There are still 16 of the 24 seats available, and I believe that number has been constant since the price increase at the end of December.

On the BCN flight PP is completely empty. The buyup is $375.

Anyone here have any experience with price fluctuation in PP buyups well in advance of the flight? I very much would like to see the cost of the LIS upgrade come down before I would consider buying the upgrade. But I'm also curious whether the $375 buyup for BCN is pretty much the floor? If the flight goes another few months with no takers might the price drop further?

Final buyup question: Does what was paid for the flight have any bearing on the cost and/or opportunity for the upgrade? The IAD-LIS flight was a really cheap $529 in S class. For Spain, the IAD-BCN flight was 40K miles and booked into XN class. The return from MAD-IAD at the beginning of October was 30K miles, also in XN class. Even though that flight is almost empty, UA won't offer me any upgrades in either Polaris or PP. "This reservation is not eligible to be upgraded."

TIA for any insights you might have.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bob12403
... On the BCN flight PP is completely empty. The buyup is $375. ..But I'm also curious whether the $375 buyup for BCN is pretty much the floor? If the flight goes another few months with no takers might the price drop further?
A great price and will not last. Below $50/hr. I consider $40-50/hr a no brainier decision. IME $40/hr is pretty much the floor and it is rare.

...Anyone here have any experience with price fluctuation in PP buyups well in advance of the flight? I very much would like to see the cost of the LIS upgrade come down before I would consider buying the upgrade. ...
Depends on how sales are going. Usually takes for paid fares to be R fare for the cash offers to get to the lower level..
However, UA's pricing algorithms are not simplistic, and a number of factors seem to be used. The last thing UA wants is customers to have too much insight and accurately predicting UA's moves.

...: Does what was paid for the flight have any bearing on the cost and/or opportunity for the upgrade? ....
Little effect
... For Spain, the IAD-BCN flight was 40K miles and booked into XN class. The return from MAD-IAD at the beginning of October was 30K miles, also in XN class. Even though that flight is almost empty, UA won't offer me any upgrades in either Polaris or PP. "This reservation is not eligible to be upgraded." ..e.
Not eligible for PlusPoints or mileage upgrades, Cash upgrades are considered a separate category by UA.
SPN Lifer and bob12403 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 14, 2024 at 11:40 am Reason: more
Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Quote:
... For Spain, the IAD-BCN flight was 40K miles and booked into XN class. The return from MAD-IAD at the beginning of October was 30K miles, also in XN class. Even though that flight is almost empty, UA won't offer me any upgrades in either Polaris or PP. "This reservation is not eligible to be upgraded."
Originally posted by WineCountryUA
"Not eligible for PlusPoints or mileage upgrades, Cash upgrades are considered a separate category by UA."
WineCountryUA, thanks for all the valuable information. Just to followup on your answer above: If I were to upgrade to PP on the MAD-IAD flight, I would want to buy the upgrade with $$, not with miles. Yet UA is not offering me any upgrade option at all, whether miles or cash, unlike all the other flights on these itineraries, where I can upgrade with cash. Any idea why that might be?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If I were to upgrade to PP on the MAD-IAD flight, I would want to buy the upgrade with $$, not with miles. Yet UA is not offering me any upgrade option at all, whether miles or cash, unlike all the other flights on these itineraries, where I can upgrade with cash. Any idea why that might be?
Upgrade availability and price is always variable, based on criteria that likely nobody outside of United knows - especially for a flight that is still 9 months away. This seems to be doubly true for award flights (see my example above where it was over $5k for an upgrade to PP, and only $100 more for Polaris - which came down to $300 at checkin!).

If you want to 'upgrade' now, your best option is likely check how much it'll code to book the flight directly in Premium Plus. I'm seeing as low as 50K miles for that flight in October, which is only 20K more than what you've said you've already paid. Depending on how you value miles, that's likely less than you'll ever get for the buy-up. Otherwise there's a good chance you'll need to wait until check-in to get a good price - but obviously by then there's a real chance PP will be sold out, and/or close enough to that such that the upgrade prices aren't cheap.
bob12403 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
Upgrade availability and price is always variable, based on criteria that likely nobody outside of United knows - especially for a flight that is still 9 months away. This seems to be doubly true for award flights (see my example above where it was over $5k for an upgrade to PP, and only $100 more for Polaris - which came down to $300 at checkin!).

If you want to 'upgrade' now, your best option is likely check how much it'll code to book the flight directly in Premium Plus. I'm seeing as low as 50K miles for that flight in October, which is only 20K more than what you've said you've already paid. Depending on how you value miles, that's likely less than you'll ever get for the buy-up. Otherwise there's a good chance you'll need to wait until check-in to get a good price - but obviously by then there's a real chance PP will be sold out, and/or close enough to that such that the upgrade prices aren't cheap.
Thanks, docbert, there's some solid logic in what you said, but unfortunately the numbers are a bit off. The October MAD-IAD flight we're on, which cost me 30K for economy per person, is actually 60K for an outright purchase of PP, so it's really a 30K difference per person. Given that we're not flush with miles, if the $$ cost was reasonable it would make more sense for us to buyup with $$ rather than miles, if they actually offered me an upgrade option, which they are not. That's what I don't understand

As far as the outbound IAD-BCN: Yes, you're absolutely right, it seems it might be very surprising if there would be 2 PP upgrade seats together available at checkin for a significantly cheaper price than the $375 pp that I'm being offered now, which is why I'm leaning very heavily towards taking the plunge now for the outbound flight. (EDITED TO ADD: And today I did indeed purchase the PP upgrade for the outbound.)

Last edited by bob12403; Jan 17, 2024 at 9:40 pm
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold
At OLCI the other day, DEN-SAN segment offered for $139. I was #10 as a Plat with PP applied and 2 seats left. No chance of clearing. Took the offer. Not the greatest value on a 2 hour "snack" flight but turned out to be the right decision after enduring 3 hours of literal butt hurt in Y on the previous 3 hour CLE-DEN segment that was offered at $414.
friedablass likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
UA 383, Jan 17, 2024 departure, HNL-DEN
One remaining seat in FC, asking $804. At the time I checked, the plane was only 2/3 full, no standbys indicated with numerous empty rows in the back so I passed on the offer, figuring I'd get hobo FC.
The offer remained right up to boarding so one person got an upgrade. Joke was on me, plane was nearly full and women sitting in the middle seat next to me was overflowing her seat. I still managed to get a good 4 hours of sleep.
kev LAX and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Joke was on me, plane was nearly full and women sitting in the middle seat next to me was overflowing her seat. I still managed to get a good 4 hours of sleep.
Basic Economy has made seat maps essentially worthless.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by paule123
At OLCI the other day, DEN-SAN segment offered for $139. I was #10 as a Plat with PP applied and 2 seats left. No chance of clearing. Took the offer. Not the greatest value on a 2 hour "snack" flight but turned out to be the right decision after enduring 3 hours of literal butt hurt in Y on the previous 3 hour CLE-DEN segment that was offered at $414.
I bet the person at #2 was butt hurt.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 6:57 am

SFO-HKG flight, waitlisted for Polaris Business with R fare and PP. Flight status showed 45/60 booked three days out. It then changed to 58/60 booked overnight and I was #7 on the waitlist. Using "change flight" showed an additional $1800ish to upfare to P, but using "change seat" wanted an additional $2300ish to assign a business class seat. One day before departure, someone showed up as cleared on the flight status but it was not the original #1 on the waitlist. Upon OLCI, there was a cash upgrade offer at $1299 so I took it. My name moved to the cleared section too. In the end 4 people including me showed up on the upgraded list, but the #1 on the waitlist stayed there until flight departure. I guess all 4 on the cleared list are TOD takers. Revenue management played well and they won.
SPN Lifer, friedablass and jaro like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
UA offered $399 on the 787-9 flight on IAD-LAX right up until the moment of my PP clearing. My return 787-9 LAX-IAD flight, at one point it was as low as $549 but now it is $1,169 with one seat left. Well, given the day and timing, Sunday morning, I should not be surprised. Only four seats left to sell on the seat map, strongly suggesting the flight is going to be looking for volunteers to switch flights.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Deceptive:

AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:43 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: FSPP, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, etc.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Deceptive:

Is there a connection? I noticed it’ll display the lowest cost across connections - I’ve had something like ORD-SFO-YVR and it would say Upgrade for $99 or whatever, and I got excited thinking it was the ORD-SFO leg
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by United747
Is there a connection?
Nonstop
Old Jan 20, 2024, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Deceptive:

Just like all the hotels, probably includes a resort fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.