Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
The Last UA Straw - Selling a 1K an Upgrade for $59

Just checked into my flight tomorrow from BWI-EWR-CLE. Four F seats available on BWI-EWR and 2 EWR-CLE. No CPU cleared but pleasantly offered to have one sold to me for $59.

I think thats it for me and UA. Grew up a loyal Cleveland Continental flyer and did alright with the new UA after the merger... but I havent had a CPU clear in at least six weeks. Have GPUs I can never use. Time to give AA a try and a match for EXP before my 1K status disappears.

Happy Thanksgiving Travels, all!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
My offer was $39 LAX-LAS. I took it because obviously no upgrades with offers like that.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Be happy you got that offer.... It usually is 259.00 for a 1K...
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Should Clarify - $59 BWI-EWR, no offer from EWR-CLE. I'd have rather had a direct on the ERJ-145, but those went away when CLE was dehubbed.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by pdxdtm
Should Clarify - $59 BWI-EWR, no offer from EWR-CLE. I'd have rather had a direct on the ERJ-145, but those went away when CLE was dehubbed.
What's the original fare and fare code you were booked in ?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:13 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CashN
My offer was $39 LAX-LAS. I took it because obviously no upgrades with offers like that.
Don't be surprised if UA stealthily charges your card a much-higher fee at some point in the future. The $39 offer could have been just the taxes on an upfare, and UA will go back and charge the full amount later.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Exactly! If I were a 1K and got $39 and $59 upgrade offers, I'd take them every single time over the minuscule chance of a CPU unless it was for a 30 minute flight.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
This is what I wa thinking.

Normally its $59 for a kettle and $259 for an elite.

Last edited by Cargojon; Nov 24, 2014 at 9:30 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by 787fan
What's the original fare and fare code you were booked in ?
it was pretty cheap - $115 O/W and booked into T. Used miles to fly back CLE-DCA after Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by pdxdtm
it was pretty cheap - $115 O/W and booked into T. Used miles to fly back CLE-DCA after Thanksgiving.
The lowest published UP-fare for BWI-CLE is $204 .... so it probably makes sense that UA is selling you the difference between your fare and the UP-fare, but pro-rated price for just the first leg ?

I think in the future UA should do the following for ToDs : Quote you the difference between your fare and the lowest UP-fare/true-F-fare, but subject to the minimum of each route pair. also, don't sell segment-by-segment upgrades that converts a legit buy-up offer into what resembles a ToD.

e.g. SFO-EWR, diff is $79 but minimum is $199 so the buy-up offer is $199
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
UA needs to be more factual about its CPU program

Originally Posted by 787fan
The lowest published UP-fare for BWI-CLE is $204 .... so it probably makes sense that UA is selling you the difference between your fare and the UP-fare, but pro-rated price for just the first leg ?

I think in the future UA should do the following for ToDs : Quote you the difference between your fare and the lowest UP-fare/true-F-fare, but subject to the minimum of each route pair. also, don't sell segment-by-segment upgrades that converts a legit buy-up offer into what resembles a ToD.

e.g. SFO-EWR, diff is $79 but minimum is $199 so the buy-up offer is $199
UA should change their promises about CPUs and simply state they rarely occur and that they will sell most upgrades during OLCI.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by nigos
UA should change their promises about CPUs and simply state they rarely occur and that they will sell most upgrades during OLCI.
Couldn't agree more.

Anyone connecting in EWR somewhere else (as almost all on this flight would be) who's a non-elite would be a fool to not take the upgrade now. They'll get their holiday bags checked for free and leave the CPU seeking elite members out in the proverbial cold.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by nigos
Agreed, just be honest about it. Delta and American sell them too, but they don't sell them with elites waiting on the upgrade list.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Different "Buy up to First Class" prices on website for same flight

My wife and I are booked for next September on a EWR-MSY flight. It is under 2 separate record locators as I booked separately using separate UA GC's.

I am Gold so after I booked trip I moved us both to E+

This morning I checked our reservation to see what the options were to move up to F.

This was where is got strange. I went to my wife res first (no MP# linked to flight) and there was a link un RECOMMENDED ADD-ONS to by up to F for $280 each flight or 20,000 miles. I then went to my reservation (my Gold MP# linked to flight) and my upgrade offer was $890 each flight or 20,000 miles.

Is there a reason for this big difference?

The other interesting thing was if instead of going through the RECOMMENDED ADD-ONS section , while you view your reservation, you instead click the "Upgrade Flight" button underneath, for both of us the cost was $890 to upgrade.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:56 pm

United has a policy to sell upgrades to non-status flyers for much lower than to Premier members. Welcome to the "Friendly" Skies.

They want your money and know you are locked in. They want to get extra $$ instead of rewarding loyalty.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by olouie
United has a policy to sell upgrades to non-status flyers for much lower than to Premier members. Welcome to the "Friendly" Skies.

They want your money and know you are locked in. They want to get extra $$ instead of rewarding loyalty.
That's crazy..... but at least it answers that question....thanks

The other is why does 2 different links under the reservation under her name have the 2 different prices? Maybe a glitch...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.