Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
TOD = tens of dollars upgrade,

Once you cull out the 95% HOD and up fares, this thread is a TWOT.
Hey, watch your mouth!

Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: AADULtArer

That word was a bit too close to trouble, he notices this morning....
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Broke my ankle and had to fly Last minute home for surgery
July-16
Cld-lax-ord-MBS
$612 (Q)

Offered $319 for lax-ord (flight 438).

Had to get it as I needed room for my leg.

Check in agent got it for $316 though.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UATYS
UA 323
PHL-DEN
Premier Gold
V fare
Offered a $189 TOD with one seat remaining
Declined and about to happily sit in the bulkhead of E+.
Not a TOD, just an upfare to a V-UP.

VA7KN UA V Round-Trip 618.00(USD)
V2UP14N3 UA Round-Trip 990.00(USD)

($999-$618)/2 = $190

Originally Posted by BThumme
Broke my ankle and had to fly Last minute home for surgery
July-16
Cld-lax-ord-MBS
$612 (Q)

Offered $319 for lax-ord (flight 438).

Had to get it as I needed room for my leg.

Check in agent got it for $316 though.
Again, clearly not a TOD.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by mduell

Again, clearly not a TOD.
I wouldn't use that technicality to discourage folks from posting TODs (or HODs, if you prefer, or "Paid Upgrades", which is the proper name).

I want to know of anyone that received a paid upgrade offer that was less than the cost of a true buy-up to get them into FC. Including their fare class and MP status.

To me, TOD is now just slang for a Paid Upgrade that's not a true Buy-Up. I want to hear about them even if they don't use "HOD" in the context, I know what they are getting at.

I think these are valuable proof points.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by valor155
I wouldn't use that technicality to discourage folks from posting TODs (or HODs, if you prefer, or "Paid Upgrades", which is the proper name).

I want to know of anyone that received a paid upgrade offer that was less than the cost of a true buy-up to get them into FC. Including their fare class and MP status.

To me, TOD is now just slang for a Paid Upgrade that's not a true Buy-Up. I want to hear about them even if they don't use "HOD" in the context, I know what they are getting at.

If you want to see all the offers... I was offered yesterday (7/19) $4,389 to upgrade ORD-GRU from R (booked as Q and upgraded using a CPU) to GlobalFirst. I declined the offer. Perhaps they think that as a GS I am both loaded and foolish with my money. But, it is another data point showing Premiers don't get good offers! (I have no way of knowing if a cheaper offer was made to someone else, but I suspect it is a possibility,)

The problem with asking people to post only TOD offers and not saying what constitutes a TOD offer (anything less than a hundred bucks) is that most people don't know what a buy-up should cost and therefore don't know whether the offer is something they could have purchased at any time or whether it is truly a special, reduced cost deal.

I don't think most of us are upset at the big money offers. We are annoyed at the $69 offers to once a year flyers traveling on an S fare. So it doesn't bother me at all to only see the offers $99 and below.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

+1, and as others continue to neglect the fact that VUPs are 14 day advance purchase fares typically...not <24hr advance purchase...
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A GOOD one is coming

A fellow FTer sent me a note about an offered (and obviously accepted) sub-$100 TOD on a K fare a ~7,000 mile flight, wondering if it was too good to be true...seems like an epic one. He/she doesn't want to share details yet, so as to not draw unwanted attention to the "irregularity", but will post full details post-flight.

SHARES at its finest.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
A fellow FTer sent me a note about an offered (and obviously accepted) sub-$100 TOD on a K fare a ~7,000 mile flight, wondering if it was too good to be true...seems like an epic one. He/she doesn't want to share details yet, so as to not draw unwanted attention to the "irregularity", but will post full details post-flight.

SHARES at its finest.
These are the upgrades that make me unhappy being a 1K.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Air Houston
If you want to see all the offers... I was offered yesterday (7/19) $4,389 to upgrade ORD-GRU from R (booked as Q and upgraded using a CPU) to GlobalFirst.

Most people don't know what a buy-up should cost and therefore don't know whether the offer is something they could have purchased at any time or whether it is truly a special, reduced cost deal.
If you had been offered it for $139, I would have loved to read about it, even if it is not Tens-Of-Dollars, clearly ORD-GRU from Q, that's a deal. Yeah, a little common sense applies. ORD-DTW, for example, not as interesting at that price.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
SHARES at its finest.
Indeed! NICE! If it was $139, or $100 exactly, THIS THREAD is exactly where the info belongs!
BTW . . . hope it is on UA metal --> http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lh-denied.html
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Indeed! NICE! If it was $139, or $100 exactly, THIS THREAD is exactly where the info belongs!
BTW . . . hope it is on UA metal --> http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lh-denied.html
Different example - this one is even better
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Offer to upg to F at purchase $306; 10 minutes later after purchase $227?!?!

I am flying LAX-MCO non-stop.

Booked my ticket in E+

Upon confirmation of the purchase, I was offered the ability to upgrade to F for $300+

Afterwards, I was able to purchase an upgrade to F for $227

Has anyone else had this experience?

It seems strange there would be such a difference in $$$ in so short of a time
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iscussion.html
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by caseminole
I am flying LAX-MCO non-stop.

Booked my ticket in E+

Upon confirmation of the purchase, I was offered the ability to upgrade to F for $300+

Afterwards, I was able to purchase an upgrade to F for $227

Has anyone else had this experience?

It seems strange there would be such a difference in $$$ in so short of a time
Could the 2nd offer be taking into consideration your status? (going to a Y, B, M, or even V-up)?

I imagine the first offer is status-neutral.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:45 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
SFO-SNA, booked N, offered $119 (definitely well under the fare difference from N to various F fares, though I suppose V-Up with waived AP requirements might come in around $119). Not worth it IMHO for a slightly-more-than-one-hour flight, but more power to those who spend that much for such a short flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.