Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Sorry, some ambiguity on my part. By booked 7/8, I meant cabin had one seat left. Also, ticket was $139 (one-way)
Old May 24, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gberg
Sorry, some ambiguity on my part. By booked 7/8, I meant cabin had one seat left. Also, ticket was $139 (one-way)
No worries, all the pricing analysis still holds.

Again, nothing against you - but this is a good example of why loyal, profitable customers have left UA in the past year.
Old May 24, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by Sykes
assuming when he said he purchased his ticket on 7/8 he meant July 8th, 2012
It said "booked 7/8", which sounds like 7 of the 8 FC seats on an A319 were booked.

Guess I should have refreshed before I posted.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Believe the intent was to highlight those situations where the fare differential was not supported by the published fare structure. Where the buy-up offer was significant discounted from the published fare structure. Also cases where elites and non-elites got different / disparate offers.
@:-) Create a new wikipost with that information. Maybe the wikipost could be used to track statistics of valid examples of incorrect upgrade pricing, helping to track the wheat by separating it from the chaff in the thread.
Old May 25, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Question, I'm flying ORD to frankfurt on Wendesday, booked in economy in H class. Right now the upgrade option to business is 20,000 points + 450 in cash, does this normally come down in price closer to the date of travel or when I check in?

I'm 100K and have the miles to spend but not the cash ( I can go up to 300 dollars per company policy)
Old May 25, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by steveo
Question, I'm flying ORD to frankfurt on Wendesday, booked in economy in H class. Right now the upgrade option to business is 20,000 points + 450 in cash, does this normally come down in price closer to the date of travel or when I check in?

I'm 100K and have the miles to spend but not the cash ( I can go up to 300 dollars per company policy)
What you are seeing is the standard miles upgrade along with its cash copay component (although according to .bomb it is supposed to be $425, not $450). That number is fixed based on the award/upgrade chart (i.e. it will not change). You might see a pure cash offer come in, but the chances that it will be under your $300 limit are slim to none, especially since you are a 1K.
Old May 25, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checked in online.

SFO-SEA V fare, when dropped off bag offered $89 upgrade to F as P fare. F had 1 seat available and according to the mobile app about 30 people on the upgrade list. pmUA 757.

SEA-SFO M Fare, when dropped off bag again offered $89 upgrade to Fas P fare. F had 1 seat available and according to the mobile app about 35 people on the upgrade list. 737-800.

Thought it was interesting that a V and and M had the same buy up amount to the same P fare.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
•Flight (including date and city pairs)
DEN-IAH-MEX. May 27
•Status of individual offered the upgrade (1K, Platinum, etc.)
•Fare class of the person being offered the upgrade (G, K, M, or the full fare code)
Q
•Upgrade cost
$210
•If you declined the buy-up, did your CPU (or other upgrade) clear? Or, if you had a non-status companion get a buy-up, did your CPU clear?
I admit that I was somewhat tempted due to 787 being on one of the segments. I resisted, and thought maybe at check-in it would drop to $99, and I might go for that due to the 787.
But UA CPU'd me on both segments T-24.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Definitely not a TOD but wanted to share my current experience anyways:

LAX-JFK redeye on a W fare, upgraded with RPU into R at time of booking.

At T-24, buy-up to F was $1129. Currently at T-19, buy-up to F has been reduced to $569 with 2 seats remaining, and this on the last day before UA ceases 3-class service on p.s. routes. Will edit the post if it goes any lower, but I am surprised that the offer can decrease by half the amount in such a short time.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BKK-IAD
B fare
$6800 at Check in for GF, BF full on BKK-NRT
$1958 11 hours later for GF
Declined Offer, since I already have BF on NRT-IAD
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by daron4000
I am surprised that the offer can decrease by half the amount in such a short time.
Why does this surprise you?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:05 am

Cross-posting from the Upsell thread:

Route: DCA-ORD
Fare Bucket: U
Price Offered: $89
Where it was offered/accepted: OLCI
Accept it?: Yes

Offer came up at T-24, but I didn't jump on it fast enough and it was gone by T-23:40. Came up again around T-2. Considering I was in a middle seat in E- and E+ seats started at $44, I decided it was worth it.

Route: ORD-DCA
Fare Bucket: K
Price Offered: $249
Accept it?: NO

F went out completely full with 28 people waitlisted for UGs.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 5, 2013 at 9:36 am Reason: language
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by abefroman329
Cross-posting from the Upsell thread:

Route: DCA-ORD
Fare Bucket: U
Price Offered: $89
Accept it?: Yes

Offer came up at T-24, but I didn't jump on it fast enough and it was gone by T-23:40. Came up again around T-2. Considering I was in a middle seat in E- and E+ seats started at $44, I decided it was worth it.
This is a legitimate fare difference buy-up on that route for that fare class.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by star_world
This is a legitimate fare difference buy-up on that route for that fare class.
Oh really? The PCU offer was around $300 o/w.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Post your TOD buy-up experiences here (no other discussion)

EWR-AMS
W Fare already upgraded with GPU to BF
$839 to get GF
OCLI
Declined

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.