Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by seanp7
EWR-AMS
W Fare already upgraded with GPU to BF
$839 to get GF
OCLI
Declined
so, why does UA even have a First class? No one seems to want to spend the money, what with all the offers to buy up to F, seems like a waste of a cabin.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
so, why does UA even have a First class? No one seems to want to spend the money, what with all the offers to buy up to F, seems like a waste of a cabin.
I believe that's exactly why UA is going towards 2-cabin configs.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I wouldn't want to spend the money on UA F either, especially when there are better options in *A available for a similar amount of money.

If UA wants to get people to pay the premium price for F, they need to offer a premium service. They don't. What they offer would be barely passable for C on other carriers.

I've found UA C to be more acceptable on a 2 class config. True, there's no F, but it's not like we'd be missing much anyway.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
DTW-ORD
S fare
Gold
$59 at OLCI
Accepted: NO
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by leler85
DTW-ORD
S fare
Gold
$59 at OLCI
I'm curious ... what do you think my offer would be. I'm UA Kettle, but US CP/*G. I'll be flying on UA BWI-NRT and back. Outbound flexible fares all book into K, but on the back vary anywhere from Q to U.

The difference between a flexible U fare and nonrefundable P fare is about $500, and $1500 from the K fare (why they're doing refundable K is beyond me). Grand total difference between a flexible K/U and a nonrefundable P is about $1800. What do you think the upgrade prices would be? Am I looking at the fare difference, or could UA offer me something different?

I'll admit, I'm not thrilled about the possibility of doing a longhaul in Y (FT made me spoiled ), but I'm trying to find the best way to upgrade the ticket. Last time I flew UA was on a paid Z ticket, so it wasn't a concern.

Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
DEN-SFO
V fare
$99 at OLCI
Declined
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by leler85
DTW-ORD
S fare
Gold
$59 at OLCI
about right as S to V-UP buyup for that route

Originally Posted by channa
DEN-SFO
V fare
$99 at OLCI
Declined
about right for V to V-UP buyup for that route.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
HKG-SFO
W fare upgraded to R
$1549 at OLCI to upgrade to GF
Declined

I'm guessing this is pretty close to a buy-up to Z
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
about right as S to V-UP buyup for that route

about right for V to V-UP buyup for that route.
An important distinction WineCountry made here. Sometimes the a TOD-apearing fare is actually a Buy Up difference.

I have a IAD-DEN leg and diff from E to V-UP (P) was only about $60. Looking like a TOD (Paid Upgrade) but was a legit Buy-Up. Good use of ExpertFlyer and UA's site for my conclusion here.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by valor155
An important distinction WineCountry made here. Sometimes the a TOD-apearing fare is actually a Buy Up difference.

I have a IAD-DEN leg and diff from E to V-UP (P) was only about $60. Looking like a TOD (Paid Upgrade) but was a legit Buy-Up. Good use of ExpertFlyer and UA's site for my conclusion here.
Agreed - many times (with elites) the offers are actually legit

Where they break UA's own rules are with GMs - we need more examples of those. Anyone traveling with a friend/co-worker/relative on a separate PNR, try and see what offers they get and report back!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Silver
IAD-KWI
W fare
Premier Silver
Offer to business first: $1,059
Declined
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: SW A-List Preferred, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
My wife (GM) was offered U --> 1st for ORD-MSP for $49.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PappaShacks
My wife (GM) was offered U --> 1st for ORD-MSP for $49.
U fare was already more expensive than V-UP and $49 looks right for a last minute U to Q-UP.

This is a potential issue that if you fare is already above an -UP fare, the offer is based on the next higher potential fare for F seat.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I am on a B fare tomorrow, which should allow me to upgrade at time of booking. There is one open seat. I clicked on "upgrade now," only to be directed to a page saying that the complimentary instant upgrade was no longer possible for this flight. My travel companion (without status, and on a different itinerary) was offered an upgrade to first for $49 after I was informed none were available on a complimentary basis. What gives?

Last edited by donjo; Jun 20, 2013 at 7:52 am
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by donjo
I am on a B fare tomorrow, which should allow me to upgrade at time of booking. There is one open seat. I clicked on "upgrade now," only to be directed to a page saying that the complementary instant upgrade was no longer possible for this flight. My travel companion (without status, and on a different itinerary) was offered an upgrade to first for $49 after I was informed none were available on a complementary basis. What gives?
Ouch. It's bad enough they'll sell us out like that, but for so cheap???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.