Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by ecosse3
Oh....bummer. Oh well though, still seemed like a good deal.
Buy-Ups to a new fare class DO get the new class RDM/PQM. You'll know it is a true "Buy Up" if you have a new ticket number issued.

A "Paid Upgrade" however, does get the original fare class. You'll know it is a Paid Upgrade ("TOD" for slang, when the price offered is less than the difference in fare to actually sit in FC) if you do NOT have a new ticket number issued.

Chances are, it is a TOD (or "Paid Upgrade" for you proper folks). And you won't get any bonus PQM/RDM for that.

But ... you will have a much nicer seat for a discounted price! Enjoy if you take them up on it!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
SMF-ORD-YUL today, booked in V with 2F to ORD and 3F to YUL remaining. While checking in online, I saw the upgrade of 269 offered. I was somewhat interested but after clicking in the details, I see it's actually a upgrade of $269 for SMF-ORD on a A320 and a crazy $429 for the 2hr ORD-YUL ride on the CRJ700 operated by GoJet UA Express.

No thanks, if someone else wants to pony up the extra money, they're welcome to that $429 CRJ seat.

The upgrade prices are about right, my RT in V outbound, Q return was $1,200, the lowest F RT on the same flights are ~$2,700.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:25 pm

Tomorrow, ORD-DCA, on an E170

U fare

$79 to upgrade at OLCI, declined

Cabin currently shows that of 6 seats, 5 are booked, 2 checked in (one seat shows open on the seat map). There are 10 names on the upgrade list.

I have Silver status. There are more people ahead of me on the upgrade list than total seats in the F cabin, so I won't be clearing.

I think at the time I bought my ticket, difference between U and auto-up fare was $279. So true TOD?

Last edited by hoopics; Aug 8, 2013 at 8:38 pm Reason: status added.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Any UA status?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Any UA status?
Sorry, Silver.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hoopics
Tomorrow, ORD-DCA, on an E170

U fare

$79 to upgrade at OLCI, declined
I think at the time I bought my ticket, difference between U and auto-up fare was $279. So true TOD?
looks like an up-fare to V-UP which is $88 to $135 above U fares. V-UP maybe have not been available at booking, but Q-UP was.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hoopics
Sorry, Silver.
See above - your offer looks "legit" (in the wonky UA definition)

Don't forget though, UA Elites don't get the rock bottom rule-breaking offers
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: AA, UA
7/27/2013: Checked in at kiosk in AUS. Was offered upgrade on IAH-SEA for $189. I passed. MP regular member, no status. This was on a group reservation so I don't know the fare class.

Last edited by austin_res; Aug 9, 2013 at 9:40 am
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by austin_res
7/27/2013: Checked in at kiosk in AUS. Was offered upgrade on IAH-SEA for $189. I passed. MP regular member, no status. This was on a group reservation so I don't know the fare class.
Without the fare class hard to tell the level of discount --- but V-UP (OW is almost $600) and roughly $200 for T OW, would take a Q fare to get close to $400 OW.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt
LAX-LAS F buy up

Checked in tonight for my LAX-LAS flight tomorrow afternoon, 8/11 UA593 and was offered $39 buy up to first for both me and my wife. Both general members with no status, declined the offer.

Original booking class was K.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmoney714
Checked in tonight for my LAX-LAS flight tomorrow afternoon, 8/11 UA593 and was offered $39 buy up to first for both me and my wife. Both general members with no status, declined the offer.

Thanks for posting. Looks like a nice true TOD - but there seems to be just one real Premier on the WL (others are nonrevs). Lets see if others check in.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:17 pm

IAH to MCO, S Fare, no status, $79 upgrade at OLCI, accepted.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
ORD-PHX, Gold on a U fare. Offered 349.00, Silver Co-worker on a K fare, 99.00.

This is more proof and last year I was Silver and I was getting offers like that, now on a U fare as a Gold, I'm offered a substantially higher price on a higher fare.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 great TOD examples! The cup is truly overflowing these days.

Originally Posted by kmoney714

Still only 1 elite on the WL. All those other names are also on standby = nonrev. Still, a true buy-up would be ~$135. Guess they have no shame.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
ORD-PHX, Gold on a U fare. Offered 349.00, Silver Co-worker on a K fare, 99.00.

This is more proof and last year I was Silver and I was getting offers like that, now on a U fare as a Gold, I'm offered a substantially higher price on a higher fare.
Is this for today, or another upcoming trip? This is pretty despicable IMO. Difference from cheapest published (L, higher than K) vs. a V-up is ~$455.

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
IAH to MCO, S Fare, no status, $79 upgrade at OLCI, accepted.
Nice TOD! Did you see anyone else on the waitlist? Actual fare differential S to a V-up is ~$430.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i have noticed in the last couple of weeks this thread is getting hot again, while at the same time it seems that CPU isnt processing as aggressively as it was in the weeks prior. namely, i have seen a number of flights where UA is holding back a much larger number of F seats than they would in the past inside T-24...perhaps looking at buy-ups.

tomorrow we are flying UA994 and right now it is F5 at ~T-33hrs. Usually by T-33, enough upgrades would have processed for it to be about F3. last week i saw the same thing as i was booking/canceling flights to try and clear last minute CPU - in the end i bought a low cost F fare on a competitor.

take it for what its worth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.