FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:31 pm
Air Houston

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by valor155
I wouldn't use that technicality to discourage folks from posting TODs (or HODs, if you prefer, or "Paid Upgrades", which is the proper name).

I want to know of anyone that received a paid upgrade offer that was less than the cost of a true buy-up to get them into FC. Including their fare class and MP status.

To me, TOD is now just slang for a Paid Upgrade that's not a true Buy-Up. I want to hear about them even if they don't use "HOD" in the context, I know what they are getting at.

I think these are valuable proof points.
If you want to see all the offers... I was offered yesterday (7/19) $4,389 to upgrade ORD-GRU from R (booked as Q and upgraded using a CPU) to GlobalFirst. I declined the offer. Perhaps they think that as a GS I am both loaded and foolish with my money. But, it is another data point showing Premiers don't get good offers! (I have no way of knowing if a cheaper offer was made to someone else, but I suspect it is a possibility,)

The problem with asking people to post only TOD offers and not saying what constitutes a TOD offer (anything less than a hundred bucks) is that most people don't know what a buy-up should cost and therefore don't know whether the offer is something they could have purchased at any time or whether it is truly a special, reduced cost deal.

I don't think most of us are upset at the big money offers. We are annoyed at the $69 offers to once a year flyers traveling on an S fare. So it doesn't bother me at all to only see the offers $99 and below.