Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Blacknj
So first post but long time lurker.

I am traveling to PHL-SFO and I am given the option to "Buy up to first". I am on the fence about taking the offer but I wanted to know does "buy up" mean I would be paying for first or business class. The longer leg is IAD-SFO and from what I have read there is not much difference between first and business but it would be good to know in advance. This is on a 3 class 777 200.
Where do you see this offer? In most cases, on a screen before your credit card is charged, the class of service of the new ticket will be listed. "United Business" is business and "United First" is first.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Last week I came across a thread (or series of posts) about PQMs earned from doing buy-ups. I foolishly neglected to bookmark it, and now "Search" is not finding it for me. Can someone provide a link? Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jmd001
Last week I came across a thread (or series of posts) about PQMs earned from doing buy-ups. I foolishly neglected to bookmark it, and now "Search" is not finding it for me. Can someone provide a link? Thanks.
Likely this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ome-don-t.html
The thread wiki has a good summary.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Likely this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ome-don-t.html
The thread wiki has a good summary.
That's it! Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Where do you see this offer? In most cases, on a screen before your credit card is charged, the class of service of the new ticket will be listed. "United Business" is business and "United First" is first.
When I go to manage reservations and the click the upgrade link. It gives you an option to Buy up to first and a Use miles to upgrade option. It is not the pop-up you get after booking.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Blacknj
When I go to manage reservations and the click the upgrade link. It gives you an option to Buy up to first and a Use miles to upgrade option. It is not the pop-up you get after booking.
In this case it is probably Business on the long segment, but you should see a detail of this before your credit card is actually charged.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Found a trick that works to get a ticket changed to (F) fare paying the upgrade charge.

Take your offer to a gate agent and show them on your phone and say it's giving you an error message when you try to buy. When they do it from their computer and pay the upcharge it always shows up (F) on ticket when they print it out.

Works most of the time. couple of time gate agent refused to try and help.

Last edited by bhunt; Aug 1, 2017 at 12:26 am Reason: correcting mistake
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
RDU-EWR
H Fare
Two Non Status Passengers
At booking Y was $227, P $331
After booking offered an upgrade for $139 each.
Declined

I didn't bite at $104 and I'm certainly not biting at $139

RDU-EWR
L Fare
Non Status Passenger
At booking Y was $108, F was $207
After booking offered an upgrade for $99
Declined
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
RDU-EWR
H Fare
Two Non Status Passengers
At booking Y was $227, P $331
After booking offered an upgrade for $139 each.
Declined

I didn't bite at $104 and I'm certainly not biting at $139

RDU-EWR
L Fare
Non Status Passenger
At booking Y was $108, F was $207
After booking offered an upgrade for $99
Declined
May I ask, how are these offers made? (likewise for many others in this thread). Are passengers verbally offered at check in/gate based on their ticket/status or is there an automated process we can check what's available via an app? Or are we to manually ask at check in?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aussie_traveller612
May I ask, how are these offers made? (likewise for many others in this thread). Are passengers verbally offered at check in/gate based on their ticket/status or is there an automated process we can check what's available via an app? Or are we to manually ask at check in?
At booking, and at checkin (via mobile and web, I can't say I've ever paid attention at kiosk) if inventory is available there's usually a banner like "Confirm your upgrade for only $...." (in the same vein as the 'other flight options' or 'buy extra miles' offers)

I don't think I've ever heard a human make an offer verbally.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Assie Traveller - IMO, the United app is the way to go. You'll usually get an offer when you check in 24 hours in advance, and usually over those next 24 hours you can check anytime by viewing your Reservation, select Travel Options, and it should show there. You'll also see the price change often (most of the time), so you can get a feel for the going rate and take the offer if it looks good!

- Tom
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty much any place you can check in or re-do check-in you will see the offer. Additionally if you book a ticket on ua.com in a lower cabin, you will get a pop-up immediately upon completing the booking process which will offer you the upgrade.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you are already in the WL because of an upgrade with miles request, does that request automatically cancel if you accept one of these offers instead?

Or do you have to do something to make sure your copay and miles are refunded?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
If you are already in the WL because of an upgrade with miles request, does that request automatically cancel if you accept one of these offers instead?

Or do you have to do something to make sure your copay and miles are refunded?
I would definitely not trust everything to work out correctly.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How do you cancel or revoke the upgrade with miles request anyways?

You'd think the UA systems would be smart enough to recognize that you bought up to J so you can't be upgraded any further.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.