Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Silliness on NRT-HNL

Currently in C, offer to F for $989. What is crazy about this is the flight is F6FN6A6ON5...........they are sold out in Y and C. Everyone on the upgrade list is a non-Rev (on the S/B, business, and first lists). If they were to offer a reasonable price (~$500 I would bite). But $1,000 for a 6:30 flight where I am going to sleep anyway is crazy. So at that price, they get $0 from me or likely anyone else in C and fill F with non-revs that generate $0 for them. I get that I didn't pay for F, but I am willing to pay something, just not $1,000. Am I off base here?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Currently in C, offer to F for $989. What is crazy about this is the flight is F6FN6A6ON5...........they are sold out in Y and C. Everyone on the upgrade list is a non-Rev (on the S/B, business, and first lists).
If you're on UA902 July 20, it's blocked 5 in F, so there are likely to be some op-ups. I'd guess you have a reasonably good shot as GS.

Am I off base here?
Doesn't make much sense from a revenue perspective. Good deal for the NRSA. An anomaly that will soon be gone, as they phase out F.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're on UA902 July 20, it's blocked 5 in F, so there are likely to be some op-ups. I'd guess you have a reasonably good shot as GS.

Doesn't make much sense from a revenue perspective. Good deal for the NRSA. An anomaly that will soon be gone, as they phase out F.
Thanks Kacee. Yes I am on 902. It was as I listed above until about 5 minutes after my post. Then they blocked the 5 seats, and zeroed out all the Y and J buckets leaving 2 F remaining. Fingers crossed and thanks as always for the insight.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Wooglin
OLCI @ T-12 offering

CLE-IAD $99
IAD-RDU $79
And returning tomorrow-

@ OLCI
RDU-IAD (n/a CPU cleared at T-47.5)
IAD-CLE $99
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Flying UA950 IAD-BRU tonight in J. Surprisingly, no F buy-up offered via online or kiosk check-in (or O inventory available) despite 5 open seats in the F cabin. Must be great to be a non-rev these days as int'l F is phased out.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:37 pm

Thanks Kacee. Yes I am on 902. It was as I listed above until about 5 minutes after my post. Then they blocked the 5 seats, and zeroed out all the Y and J buckets leaving 2 F remaining. Fingers crossed and thanks as always for the insight.
Update; got the op up! Very nice surprise and delight from UA.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Sorry, having a bit of trouble understanding this, as these two statements seem contradictory:

Regardless, I think the answer is you need to call United and ask either (i) to confirm the upgrade if the space is available, (ii) to waitlist for the upgrade if it is not available, or (iii) have your miles and cash refunded if you just want them back. They may charge you a redeposit fee for option (iii).
Thank you. I called UA today and they did the upgrade on the new flight for me.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Update; got the op up! Very nice surprise and delight from UA.
^
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:18 am

First/business upgrade questions

Hi All,

I am new here, so thank you in advance for your help and pardon my lack of knowledge with flight upgrades .

My S.O. and I will be traveling MCI > ORD > CUN on Monday and are currently booked as United Economy (Y), but would like to upgrade as neither of us have ever flown first. The current price to upgrade to first/business from MCI > CUN is $202/per person. The flight from MCI > ORD has 6/12 open first seats and the flight from ORD > CUN has 14/20 open business class seats. Also, neither of us have status.

a couple questions:

1. Is $202 reasonable for this upgrade?

2. If all of the first class from MCI > ORD gets booked, and business is open from ORD > CUN, will the price for the upgrade be lower?

3. Would it be realistic for this price to lower at check-in?

Thank you
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:41 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

1) Depends on what else you'd do with the $400. That can be a really nice meal in CUN or an upgrade in the hotel as well. But it also means a more comfortable flight experience getting there. Deciding where you want to splurge on the vacation isn't something others can decide for you.

2) Maybe, maybe not.

3) I doubt it, but hard to know for sure.

It is possible the number you're seeing is the fare difference from what you paid originally to what the F ticket would cost. If that's the case I wouldn't expect the offer to change much.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You'd also get United Club access and snack/meal/free booze in flight. Also free entertainment if DTV flight. Just divide the upgrade price by total number of hours traveling to get a per-hour cost. Is it worth paying that much extra per-hour to you for a nicer seat, club access, and possibly free entertainment? It might be...it might not be.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 21, 2017 at 7:52 am
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Revo KC
Hi All,

I am new here, so thank you in advance for your help and pardon my lack of knowledge with flight upgrades .

My S.O. and I will be traveling MCI > ORD > CUN on Monday and are currently booked as United Economy (Y), but would like to upgrade as neither of us have ever flown first. The current price to upgrade to first/business from MCI > CUN is $202/per person. The flight from MCI > ORD has 6/12 open first seats and the flight from ORD > CUN has 14/20 open business class seats. Also, neither of us have status.

a couple questions:

1. Is $202 reasonable for this upgrade?

2. If all of the first class from MCI > ORD gets booked, and business is open from ORD > CUN, will the price for the upgrade be lower?

3. Would it be realistic for this price to lower at check-in?

Thank you
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Revo KC!

I think $202 is pretty reasonable, but I value the comfort of First Class. For a 1.5 hour and a 3.5 hour flight, I would do it. But as sbm12 indicates, this is a personal decision.

Trying to predict how the upgrade costs will be in the future is pretty dicey. You could be presented with a lower price when you check in for the flight. You could also be out of luck if all the seats are already taken.

One last note: If you are looking at the seat map to determine how many seats are open, that is not too accurate. Looking at the fare buckets (expert mode) is a better indicator. If you post the exact flight numbers, we can probably give a better opinion.

Regardless, hope you have a great trip and keep sticking around FlyerTalk.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:19 am

Findark will probably chime in, but $202 looks pretty low to me. I buy up often and the price is typically about $50 per hour of flight duration (e.g. $200 for ORD-SFO, $130 for ORD-BOS). So for five hours of flying, $202 strikes me as a great deal. These numbers are generally very stable.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:22 am

I'd pay $202 for that buy-up.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I'd pay $202 for that buy-up.
Same, that seems like a fairly good price for the time/distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.