Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA
9/12 SFO-LAX $109 as a Platinum. Same flight as a GM was $69.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: AA PLT
ORD-SFO and v.v. both $199 at T-24 as a GM. Tempting on a 772 but passed.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
PHL-SFO T-22: US$299 for just one seat, 12 qualifying passengers.

I saw this offer pop up on the app. I went to take a shower and thought about it. Hmm, yeah I think I'll pull the trigger, because I need to meet minimum spend to make a new credit card sign-up bonus.

You know how this story ends. After I stepped out of the shower and I checked again on the app, the offer was gone, gone! Someone snatched the seat. Within 10 minutes. Oh well.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Ruhr
PHL-SFO T-22: US$299 for just one seat, 12 qualifying passengers.

I saw this offer pop up on the app. I went to take a shower and thought about it. Hmm, yeah I think I'll pull the trigger, because I need to meet minimum spend to make a new credit card sign-up bonus.

You know how this story ends. After I stepped out of the shower and I checked again on the app, the offer was gone, gone! Someone snatched the seat. Within 10 minutes. Oh well.
That's a good ending IMO . . . Not worth it for the domestic F seat and no PQD.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a good ending IMO . . . Not worth it for the domestic F seat and no PQD.
One other reason I wanted to do it was to gain information. This was an award ticket in XN class. I've never tried to apply a cash upgrade buy-up on an award. If I took the buy-up, what would happen? Would that leg turn into P or Z and would it give PQM? Maybe PQD? I was curious. But someone solved that problem for me. I'll be happy in E+ and take my free drink/hot breakfast item from the cart as a 1K.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If I took the buy-up, what would happen? Would that leg turn into P or Z and would it give PQM? Maybe PQD? I was curious.
My guess would be ZN with no accruals but yes, it would be a good data point.

I'll be happy in E+ and take my free drink/hot breakfast item from the cart as a 1K.
^
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Has anyone accepted a TOD offer and then made a SDC?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Has anyone accepted a TOD offer and then made a SDC?
I did a month and a half ago. Took TOD on one leg of a connecting flight, got to airport and saw that the nonstop was delayed, so I moved onto it. F (well, technically J since it was international) was full so I sat in Y. Submitted refund request via web, got money back.

YMMV
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
One other reason I wanted to do it was to gain information. This was an award ticket in XN class. I've never tried to apply a cash upgrade buy-up on an award. If I took the buy-up, what would happen? Would that leg turn into P or Z and would it give PQM? Maybe PQD? I was curious. But someone solved that problem for me. I'll be happy in E+ and take my free drink/hot breakfast item from the cart as a 1K.
IME it sort of split the leg off my PNR and throw the rest of my ticket out of sync. Booked a 3-leg award in X. Took a TOD on the first leg, downline segments were out of sync, but I was able to board those segments without problem. By out of sync, I mean the downline segments had the wrong boarding group for the seat, and the boarding passes had ***PREMIER ACCESS*** printed across the top (which should be correct since the first leg was upgraded) but still had me in the wrong boarding group. I contacted UA on twitter as well as UA Insider here and they couldn't find any record of me being in F, or any record of that first leg being on my PNR.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
BF (P) to GF BRU-ORD

Paid discounted P fare, offered GF for $869. Right at my gag limit of $100/hour for GF and all the additional space to sleep. I bit and slept soundly for 7 hours.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I did a cash buy up on an award a couple years ago (X class) and I think it booked into R. I've also had a revenue TOD for $13 that put me in P. I'm working on understanding UA, but not sure I'll ever totally get there...
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
LAX-EWR p.s. redeye
before 24 hrs - $2xxx (I don't remember but more than $2000)
T-24 - $299
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pigx5
LAX-EWR p.s. redeye
before 24 hrs - $2xxx (I don't remember but more than $2000)
T-24 - $299
Wow that's a pretty good one. Assuming the Y price was cheap (so that you don't end up the same as the B6 $599+ prices), that's a heck of a deal for jumping up to a bed for the red-eye.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by Duke787
Wow that's a pretty good one. Assuming the Y price was cheap (so that you don't end up the same as the B6 $599+ prices), that's a heck of a deal for jumping up to a bed for the red-eye.
The Y price was 139 and was paid by my client.
So I really know why the upgrade chance become so low on UA as a 1K/Platinum compares to DL/AA
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I did a cash buy up on an award a couple years ago (X class) and I think it booked into R. I've also had a revenue TOD for $13 that put me in P. I'm working on understanding UA, but not sure I'll ever totally get there...
$13? What was your original fare class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.