Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by SigmaFlyer
Hi everyone,

I just noticed an equipment swap for my flight to EWR tonight (UA 14) that would presumably open a decent amount of F inventory. After looking for the usual Rev-Up offers on OLCI, I called UA and they stated that it has been discontinued. I was pretty sure that I saw the offer recently, but it could have been a TOD offer.

Speaking of TOD offers, they offer a bump to F for over $800. It's pretty sad to see those ~$300 DOD offers disappear.

Anybody else heard any news about revup going away?
The HNL-IAD flight I'm on has the upgraded 764 business first product, with 23 seats open and five on the waiting list. What does a TOD cost? $800?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iker
The HNL-IAD flight I'm on has the upgraded 764 business first product, with 23 seats open and five on the waiting list. What does a TOD cost? $800?
The price dropped down to around $550 around T-12. My return was also equipment swapped and the cost was around $550 as well.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Question Mistake or new policy? Upgrade your entire trip for 30% the original price!

I was just browsing through my reservations earlier when I came across this (look at the bottom):

Naturally, I went for it, but this is a glitch... right? Has anyone else experienced this? Booked into PN, so the extra EQMs, RDMs, free meal and drinks make it worth it to me.

Assuming it's a glitch, I've PMed UA_Insider.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
I was just browsing through my reservations earlier when I came across this (look at the bottom):

Naturally, I went for it, but this is a glitch... right? Has anyone else experienced this? Booked into PN, so the extra EQMs, RDMs, free meal and drinks make it worth it to me.

Assuming it's a glitch, I've PMed UA_Insider.
The only upside to this post is that you are a 1K. It bothers me a lot more when they prevent 1K's from getting these offers and they only give them to kettles. In my view, if they want to make a TOD offer to a 1K, that's fair game. Of course, if the same offer is available to everyone, and therefore, your CPU priority and RPU instruments are worthless, it makes me wonder, yet more, where 1K has any value left in it.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:16 am

Couldn't agree more. However, I think this HAS to be a mistake. To be offered the correct upgrade amount, then be offered the EXACT SAME UPGRADE, on the same page, at 70% off doesn't follow any logic that I can conjur up.

SHARES strikes again?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Couldn't agree more. However, I think this HAS to be a mistake. To be offered the correct upgrade amount, then be offered the EXACT SAME UPGRADE, on the same page, at 70% off doesn't follow any logic that I can conjur up.

SHARES strikes again?
What was your original fare class?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:20 pm

K class.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: United Platinum
IAH-HNL tomorrow, no offer at T-24 (looks like entire plane may be close to capacity)
On an M class ticket
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:08 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

I was just browsing through my reservations earlier when I came across this . . .
Naturally, I went for it, but this is a glitch... right? Has anyone else experienced this? Booked into PN, so the extra EQMs, RDMs, free meal and drinks make it worth it to me. Assuming it's a glitch, I've PMed UA_Insider.
Hi flyingmusicianlax, thanks for sharing your example. While I understand why this would be questioned, according the current fares in the Charlotte (CLT) to Los Angeles (LAX) market, this is indeed a valid offer. Here some details that may be helpful. (As a reminder, as a 1K member, it’s looking at M fares so that you can instantly confirm up front).
  • Value of the ticket you purchased. As noted, you have a ticket in K (at a great fare, by the way)! Generally speaking, we use half of what you paid as the value for your one-way itinerary from CLT to LAX. I’ll refrain from sharing the exact amount here, but, for those willing to do the math, the approximate value will become evident based on the additional information below.

• “Regular” M fare (always subject to change, of course). While fares change all the time, the current M fare in this market (connecting through Chicago) is $720 (one way). The difference between this and the value of your outbound from CLT to LAX is $559 (the regular offer) – which, as a 1K member, allows for the instant upgrade.

• “Special” M fare (again, with the always subject to change disclaimer). At the moment, there’s also a “special” M fare in this market with some heavier restrictions (e.g. 21 day advance purchase, 3 day minimum stay, etc.). At the time you checked on upgrading, all the restrictions were met, so the difference to upgrade was calculated using this better fare. Based on your exact itinerary, this fare is $582 (round trip). Again, since we’re only talking one direction, we use half of this, which is $291, to calculate the difference. This results in the much better difference of $135 for an M class fare – which still instantly gets a 1K member into First.
All in all, if you were not a 1K member, the upgrade fares would be calculated based off different (and higher) fares. I’m happy you were able to take advantage of the special fare. Enjoy the benefits of being booked in PN!

Shannon
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:12 am

Thanks for the research and response Shannon.

Good to see your presence here!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Shannon, how come these "special" offers are often observed inside T-24, clearly past a 14/21 day advance purchase (such as the V-ups often talked about?)
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi flyingmusicianlax, thanks for sharing your example. While I understand why this would be questioned, according the current fares in the Charlotte (CLT) to Los Angeles (LAX) market, this is indeed a valid offer. Here some details that may be helpful. (As a reminder, as a 1K member, it’s looking at M fares so that you can instantly confirm up front).
  • Value of the ticket you purchased. As noted, you have a ticket in K (at a great fare, by the way)! Generally speaking, we use half of what you paid as the value for your one-way itinerary from CLT to LAX. I’ll refrain from sharing the exact amount here, but, for those willing to do the math, the approximate value will become evident based on the additional information below.

• “Regular” M fare (always subject to change, of course). While fares change all the time, the current M fare in this market (connecting through Chicago) is $720 (one way). The difference between this and the value of your outbound from CLT to LAX is $559 (the regular offer) – which, as a 1K member, allows for the instant upgrade.

• “Special” M fare (again, with the always subject to change disclaimer). At the moment, there’s also a “special” M fare in this market with some heavier restrictions (e.g. 21 day advance purchase, 3 day minimum stay, etc.). At the time you checked on upgrading, all the restrictions were met, so the difference to upgrade was calculated using this better fare. Based on your exact itinerary, this fare is $582 (round trip). Again, since we’re only talking one direction, we use half of this, which is $291, to calculate the difference. This results in the much better difference of $135 for an M class fare – which still instantly gets a 1K member into First.
All in all, if you were not a 1K member, the upgrade fares would be calculated based off different (and higher) fares. I’m happy you were able to take advantage of the special fare. Enjoy the benefits of being booked in PN!

Shannon
Shannon, why are there so many reported instances where non-status members get better offers than 1K members?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider

Shannon
Shannon, this is great information and makes perfect sense when you explain it. Thank you so very much for the detailed response!

The ability to purchase "Special" M fares for upgrades is a great 1K benefit, IMHO! Very glad to know about this. ^

P.S. Yes, I am quite happy to be finding fares CLT-LAX and vv at a very good price. IME, about $80 cheaper r/t than they were during non-holiday Q4 2012.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
SFO-LHR tomorrow, $769 to upgrade from BF to GF. Couldn't resist it.

Booked in to "FN" fare class.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
SFO-LHR tomorrow, $769 to upgrade from BF to GF. Couldn't resist it.

Booked in to "FN" fare class.
Disposable income (or a generous expense account) is your friend in this situation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.