Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
$199 ua640 las-ord 7/5/2017

Upsell wildly fluctuated between $199 and $1499
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
1. My price (and yours) are for (hopefully the same flight - UA 233 at 8:30 AM Pacific SFO-EWR). Apparently UACO thinks that, because you having no status, it is better to offer you a cheaper price than me, an oddball 1K. The other price quoted above is for a flight on Memorial Day weekend.

2. Most if not all of the MileagePlus elites would agree with your conclusion - why should I spend $2K on a J seat if some one with no status and a cheap economy fare can buy up to J for TOD or HOD. Or, for me, why should I plunk down another $299 to get into J since I applied an upgrade instrument that should have gotten me (with my status) into J well before T-24. We agree it isn't fair but that's the short sighted thinking that's gotten United Continental into the shrinking box that it is trying to get out of. These are some of the reasons that many high value (high spend) fliers have left UACO.

David
Agree 1000%. I would like to believe that anyone that feels this way has given feedback to upper mgmt, and truth would have it that United won't do anything about it because they have everything to profit from - from devaluing miles they sell to the credit card companies / holders, pocketing the difference in W vs lowest fare for failed GPUs ,etc. Not infrequently, the amount of cash they take is worth less than a mileage upgrade and copay or only marginally better after a refund of an economy plus purchase.

If they would only clear the waitlist for instruments prior to offering buy ups / check in offers that would go a long way and fix half of this ridiculous illogical system.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not how UA does it. The brave new world is, if you're offered a cheap buy-up with an instrument waitlisted, you pay the fee or die on the waitlist.
You are right - it's fairly obvious that United has this figured out and if they wanted to change it probably would have done so by now. But that doesn't mean anyone has to agree with it, and if there was ever a chance that it would change, it certainly isn't going to happen without loads of negative feedback.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
You've got to be kidding, UA...

UA Gold on a pending RPU, sitting 1st on the UG list with 2 F available on each segment at T-16.
OLCI offers
CLE-ORD $909
ORD-YVR $199

Last edited by Wooglin; Jul 9, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
07/10/17:

LAX-IAD: (S Fare) (752 w/16 IPTE J - PTS lite w/CPUs?) $249 offer for upgrade @ T-24 (2 seats left)

declined.

sitting in hobo 1st (21C) - hope there's pizza left by the time they get back to la row de exit.

David

update: T-23.8: both IPTE seats sold.

Last edited by DELee; Jul 9, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Over the weekend, on my original T fare LHR-IAD, US$829. Declined.
Then SDC'd to LHR-ORD, with the same US$829 offer. Also declined.

Is this a typical price from Heathrow to ORD/IAD?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Ruhr
Yes.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by theboss7593
Edit : have a IAD-EWR segment following this on a A320. Offer was $399 lol. Then $199 lol then $169 lol and now at $79 which I believe is the E to F difference. If it falls under $40 I may take it otherwise it's a waste IMO. Won't even get up to 35K.
Going EWR-IAD-HNL Monday original EWR-IAD flug was an emb now upgraded to a 320. offered a buy up on Saturday for $399 that was just short of entire itinerary . I was still laughing this afternoon when I was cpu'ed.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Jul 9, 2017 at 3:47 pm Reason: Incomplete
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
FC offer on E145, $489, at purchase

Washington, DC, US (IAD - Dulles) to Ottawa, ON, CA (YOW), UA 4772
Operated By TRANS STATES AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS
United First® $489.00

Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Just checked in exactly 24/hr prior for EWR-CUN for a flight on July 8 (UA 1072). Flight status shows 11/20 passengers booked in F and no one on upgrade list. Was expecting a buy-up offer but none appeared at check in. Booked this as a package through Hotwire, and looking closer at the ticket details the fare paid shows BULK - is this why no upgrade offer? The airfare portion of the trip was not cheap for the nonstop flights I selected (around $800 per person, cheaper options were available with stops). Is it possible any offer will be available at the airport check in or through the gate agent?
Just wanted to follow up on this. No offer was made available on the app anytime prior to departure. Flight status showed 13/20 booked with 3 blocked morning of departure (4am for 655am flight). When I arrived at the airport F showed as full (530am) so I decided to give up and just enjoy E+... until my name was called during boarding and the gate agent informed me that the flight was oversold and they were upgrading all 3 of us to F for free! No clue how in the world that happened since I never even inquired about F upgrades to any agent... but it all worked out! Good luck, hoping to at least get an offer for the return flight!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Ruhr
Over the weekend, on my original T fare LHR-IAD, US$829. Declined.
Then SDC'd to LHR-ORD, with the same US$829 offer. Also declined.

Originally Posted by findark
Yes.
Just to add, it's typical for any TATL or TPAC.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Just wanted to follow up on this. No offer was made available on the app anytime prior to departure. Flight status showed 13/20 booked with 3 blocked morning of departure (4am for 655am flight). When I arrived at the airport F showed as full (530am) so I decided to give up and just enjoy E+... until my name was called during boarding and the gate agent informed me that the flight was oversold and they were upgrading all 3 of us to F for free! No clue how in the world that happened since I never even inquired about F upgrades to any agent... but it all worked out! Good luck, hoping to at least get an offer for the return flight!
Fantastic! Have a great holiday!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
07/05/17:

3 segment one way travel: LAX-SFO-EWR-BWI

LAX-SFO: (B fare) - YB up into Biz 1st at booking
SFO-EWR: (Q fare) (77W w/Polaris seats)
EWR-BWI: (Q fare) (ERJ170)

For the two remaining segments (SFO-EWR, EWR-BWI), was offered $149+15K miles to buy up for waitlist. Took the offer since J was 30/60 at time of booking (~3 weeks out).

Upgraded into J @ T-23 hrs for both segments.

Felt good. That's why I tossed my RPU on just my return EWR-SFO segment just before I boarded the LAX-SFO segment - and received the "unicorn" as nomad420 characterized it.

David

p.s. Will also note that J still ended up going out 51/60 filled (9 empty seats), even after all who's applied instruments, MUAs and NRSAs.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Wooglin
You've got to be kidding, UA...<br /><br />UA Gold on a pending RPU, sitting 1st on the UG list with 2 F available on each segment at T-16.<br />OLCI offers<br />CLE-ORD $<strong>909</strong><br />ORD-YVR $199
T-1.5h, looks like somebody snagged the ORD-YVR segments and I'll be hoping for some unlucky F traveler to miss a connection.

CLE-ORD now (more) reasonably priced at $99 instead of $909, but still not worth it.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
7/12/17 UA58 (SFO-FRA) - Offered $1,029 R -> F on check in.

No way I am giving up my upper deck seat on what is probably my last 747 flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.