FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:43 pm
Xerinax

Originally Posted by DELee
1. My price (and yours) are for (hopefully the same flight - UA 233 at 8:30 AM Pacific SFO-EWR). Apparently UACO thinks that, because you having no status, it is better to offer you a cheaper price than me, an oddball 1K. The other price quoted above is for a flight on Memorial Day weekend.

2. Most if not all of the MileagePlus elites would agree with your conclusion - why should I spend $2K on a J seat if some one with no status and a cheap economy fare can buy up to J for TOD or HOD. Or, for me, why should I plunk down another $299 to get into J since I applied an upgrade instrument that should have gotten me (with my status) into J well before T-24. We agree it isn't fair but that's the short sighted thinking that's gotten United Continental into the shrinking box that it is trying to get out of. These are some of the reasons that many high value (high spend) fliers have left UACO.

David
Agree 1000%. I would like to believe that anyone that feels this way has given feedback to upper mgmt, and truth would have it that United won't do anything about it because they have everything to profit from - from devaluing miles they sell to the credit card companies / holders, pocketing the difference in W vs lowest fare for failed GPUs ,etc. Not infrequently, the amount of cash they take is worth less than a mileage upgrade and copay or only marginally better after a refund of an economy plus purchase.

If they would only clear the waitlist for instruments prior to offering buy ups / check in offers that would go a long way and fix half of this ridiculous illogical system.