Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
MSP to DEN, $468 to C (J4 C3 D0).. even more than the outrageous C fare for a sub-700 mi flight (I guess they sold the seats).. I'll ride this one out in row 7
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Is there any way to track this other than checking back frequently?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Is there any way to track this other than checking back frequently?
Such as an alert service, not that I am aware of and not sure it is conceptually possible.

Offers do appear to be driven by inventory, so alerting on the opening of Z or P might be an indirect method of knowing when to check.
You can not alert on any of the two-letter fare codes.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Is there a TOD PY thread? Checking in at BRU today, couple next to me offered 250 bucks to upgrade. I might have taken it if my GPU hadn’t cleared to J.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Checked in on the app today for IAH-RSW tomorrow and received a first-ever buy-up offer on the app while either a CPU or RPU was pending (in this case, CPU). The offer was $149. I took it. The app then asked me to sign in for payment. Maybe the fact that I wasn't signed in is what caused the offer? I took the last available seat (flight was already booked 15/16). Frankly, I wish I would get the buy-up offers more often rather than end up #1 on the UG list when the door closes.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by st530
Checked in on the app today for IAH-RSW tomorrow and received a first-ever buy-up offer on the app while either a CPU or RPU was pending (in this case, CPU). The offer was $149. I took it. The app then asked me to sign in for payment. Maybe the fact that I wasn't signed in is what caused the offer? I took the last available seat (flight was already booked 15/16). Frankly, I wish I would get the buy-up offers more often rather than end up #1 on the UG list when the door closes.
I do get TODs even when I have an RPU waitlisted for domestic or a GPU waitlisted for international. The offer does not depend on being signed in or not although I always do the checkin online (not on the app) so I'm signed in to be able to check-in. I usually don't accept the offers for domestic flights as I'm saving my money for paying P fares or TODs on international long hauls.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Apr 26, 2019 at 1:28 pm
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by st530
Same here!

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I do get TODs even when I have an RPU waitlisted for domestic or a GPU waitlisted for international. The offer does not depend on being signed in or not. I usually don't accept the offers for domestic flights as I'm saving my money for paying P fares or TODs on international long hauls.
I never get the offers if I have a GPU/RPU applied.

I do get the offers if CPU (although I am near 100% on domestic flights for CPUs) but as most are short hops do not bite.

Hoping your report is a sign of things to come, although as I will likely be Platinum next year not as fond of them changing since I will likely pay TODS on TATL red eyes and TPAC flights.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I never get the offers if I have a GPU/RPU applied.
What works for me if I don't see an offer with a RPU/GPU, I go to the seatmap on the mobile, click on a open premium seat, and I'll see a price.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Hoping your report is a sign of things to come, although as I will likely be Platinum next year not as fond of them changing since I will likely pay TODS on TATL red eyes and TPAC flights.
For next year, I'll be joining your club of Platinums. However, this means that this year I will spend less of my own money for my work trips and save even more as I usually book the same fares for my wife (who will also then not get to 1K). She thinks that with all the money saved (we are talking of about $10,000), next year for the long domestic routes (ORD to the West Coast) I should pay for the difference of the price of Economy and First Class but not do it for the short flights. For the long haul international trips, the plan is to book Premium Plus and then hope that my good luck of TODs continue or hope that I find reasonable P fares. We'll see......
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
TODs are rarely a good deal for domestic flights; if you can purchase First outright for the route fare differential you will get PQDs and better IRROPS/change protection for the same price.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What works for me if I don't see an offer with a RPU/GPU, I go to the seatmap on the mobile, click on a open premium seat, and I'll see a price.
That no longer works for me. I have 2 trips coming up, domestic with RPUs applied and international with GPUs applied. In both cases, opening up the seatmap shows the front cabin grayed out even though all four flights have open space in the front cabin (when I check with dummy reservation searches).
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I do get TODs even when I have an RPU waitlisted for domestic or a GPU waitlisted for international. The offer does not depend on being signed in or not although I always do the checkin online (not on the app) so I'm signed in to be able to check-in. I usually don't accept the offers for domestic flights as I'm saving my money for paying P fares or TODs on international long hauls.
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
That no longer works for me. I have 2 trips coming up, domestic with RPUs applied and international with GPUs applied. In both cases, opening up the seatmap shows the front cabin grayed out even though all four flights have open space in the front cabin (when I check with dummy reservation searches).
Same here. Once the RPU is waitlisted I can no longer see any TOD offers.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
PVR - SFO after purchase today, $199. Passed for now but will keep an eye on it. That's about a 4 hour "butt in the seat" flight.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:31 pm

I seem to recall that my upcoming (August)

SMF-IAD had a $260 upgrade post-purchase. Pretty short connection time in IAD D to A (to a CRJ200) so I took the offer. Let's hope the "mobile lounges" are running smoothly.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
How can we tell what class the TOD will book into? I’ve had TODs book into P, which earns 1.5x PQMs; I’ve had others book into ZN, which earns 1x PQMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.