Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
IAD-AUS and return, 189 each way at T-48.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
SEA-SFO $133, SFO-SBA $90, both from a W fare. $184 difference between coach and First buying it outright, so about $40 more after purchase.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
ORD-PDX and return. Both Q fairs - no status. $216 @purchase.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:09 am

Should we have a separate TOD thread for P+ , or put it in the existing TOD (for business/first upgrades)

Nrt-ewr (13 hours), K fare no status

P+, $800 upsell after purchase, TOD $299 (which was surprisingly cheap)
​​​​
TOD J was $1600+ (cheapest TOD I've seen on this route was $1000)

did united change up the menu for regular e too? The food for e was better than usual on nrt-ewr
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Change to IRROPs rebooking and keeping upgrade?

As far back as I can remember, during IRROPs agents would rebook the paid/upgraded segment in F if it was available. For instance a PHXIAHSTL routing with PHXIAH In F would be rebooked as a PHXORDSTL routing with PHXORD in F. The only pushback Ive got in the past was if the agent assumed it was a “free upgrade” rather than a “paid upgrade” but usually if they looked into the PNR the agent then would process the rebooking.

Today was flying LAXSFOSTL with SFOSTL as the paid upgrade. LAXSFO was delayed and I would miscnx. Attempted to be rebooked LAXIAHSTL but agent pushed back saying the upgrade was a “free upgrade” then gave me the line about it being “nontransferrable” and “nonrefundable”.

Went to the UA Club and the agent told me the following:
1) oh you’ll make your connection they will hold the SFOSTL flight
2) SFO has delays so your connection will probably be delayed
4) LAX has delays so you’ll miss your connection....the connection time in Houston was 3+ hrs
3) all flights out of LAX are full without even looking punching it into his computer. I had the app open and was looking at fare basis availability. He said okay I’ll check and said nope all flights full. I said let me see your screen....turns out he didn’t even have the correct routing punched in.
4) we can’t rebook into F

So is anyone aware of changes to this?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619

Today was flying LAXSFOSTL with SFOSTL as the paid upgrade. LAXSFO was delayed and I would miscnx. Attempted to be rebooked LAXIAHSTL but agent pushed back saying the upgrade was a “free upgrade” then gave me the line about it being “nontransferrable” and “nonrefundable”.

What were the SDC options in the app?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What were the SDC options in the app?
They all came up as Economy, even when F wasn’t zero’d out. First time that’s been the case.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by qukslvr619

They all came up as Economy, even when F wasn’t zero’d out. First time that’s been the case.
When you did the paid upgrade, what class did you book into? P? Z? or a double code like PN?

If you do a fare difference upgrade, you are a F passenger and need to be rebooked as such - any pushback to the contrary is nonsense and you need to HUCA and get with a supervisor.

If you do a segment fee upgrade, then I don't know a) how that shows up in their system b) the rules for IRROPS
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Should we have a separate TOD thread for P+ , or put it in the existing TOD (for business/first upgrades)
^
A thread for PP and J-Polaris would be helpful!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
CUN-ORD on a G fare (no status) $139 two hours before departure. PURCHASED

Coach looked full/possibly oversold at T-24 so even though first only had 10/20 booked they only had 2 seats for sale and 8 blocked. I think this led to the buy up offer being $629 from 3 days out to T-2. Ended up going out with 6 seats empty in Business.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archived thread, the active thread is UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 21, 2019 at 11:35 am
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: United 1K
Currently being offered $900 or 20K miles/$550 waitlist to upgrade SFO-AMS next month. is either of these offers reasonable for the route? tempted to upgrade, though i realize it's currently slated to be a 787-9 and does not have new Polaris product.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 2019 at 7:17 pm Reason: Moved to cash upgrade thread
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by beeasyed
Currently being offered $900 or 20K miles/$550 waitlist to upgrade SFO-AMS next month....
The $900 is a guaranteed upgrade and for SFO-AMS, very unlikely to get much lower -- not usual to see >$1,000
20K miles + $550 is the standard miles+copay offer for your fare class, it will not go lower. Note if this is waitlisted, you will have uncertainty if it will clear and without status, that is even greater uncertainty. If you value miles at $.015 per mile, this means it is equivalent to $850
If you want the upgrade, I would take the $900 --- it is guaranteed and similar in cost.

Note SFO-AMS is a new flight and early on may be weak on demand, hence the lower offer
AMS-SFO inaugural flight on 31 Mar
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The $900 is a guaranteed upgrade and for SFO-AMS, very unlikely to get much lower -- not usual to see >$1,000
20K miles + $550 is the standard miles+copay offer for your fare class, it will not go lower. Note if this is waitlisted, you will have uncertainty if it will clear and without status, that is even greater uncertainty. If you value miles at $.015 per mile, this means it is equivalent to $850
If you want the upgrade, I would take the $900 --- it is guaranteed and similar in cost.

Note SFO-AMS is a new flight and early on may be weak on demand, hence the lower offer
AMS-SFO inaugural flight on 31 Mar
Thank you for the context! will prob just bite on the 900 then.

Alternatively, thinking about changing the flight to layover in Frankfurt to get on a 777-300ER flight and use a GPU..ha.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Data point:

5/1 - IAH to SFO

Booked several months ago for a JazzFest trip by a vendor (this leg is return, MSY-IAH-SFO, K fare)

For 2 months, they wanted $747 for this leg.
A week ago, it dropped to $304.
Today, it hit $208.

I bit. I'll be tired and hungover, no doubt, so worth it for $50/hr for that flight. No status on UA any longer.

ps: MSY-IAH has stayed constant at $104, which for a 45 minute flight is a no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.