Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Wow.

Another nail in the coffin as to why I want to stretch for 1K for 2020 when there are low TODs while I sit at #1 or #2 (or #69 ) on the upgrade list with my GPU and die waiting for the non existant upgrade as the seat was sold to someone with lower/no status, and is $49 more expensive than the copay if I were to use points.
To be fair, the flight in question has PZ open.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by SkyTeem

Posting from a friend's experience at check in for tonight's UA989 IAD-FRA. I haven't seen it this low in a long time.

HAHAHA 69 customers on standby for upgrade? How ridic. I think it means 69 silver or higher passengers in economy.
I think this is a typo, it is currently T-20 and there are 4 cleared upgrades with 5 people remaining. However in any event, I would have taken that in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Wow.

Another nail in the coffin as to why I want to stretch for 1K for 2020 when there are low TODs while I sit at #1 or #2 (or #69 ) on the upgrade list with my GPU and die waiting for the non existant upgrade as the seat was sold to someone with lower/no status, and is $49 more expensive than the copay if I were to use points.
This is definitely surprising and I had some of same thoughts as well. I remember in the (not-too-distant) past when it seemed the price floor for said upgrades was ~$829....
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
IAH to BOS (T); $3880 to upgrade; $1790 to purchase F outright. Both ridiculous for a 3-1/2 hour ride. Decline!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
This is definitely surprising and I had some of same thoughts as well. I remember in the (not-too-distant) past when it seemed the price floor for said upgrades was ~$829....
I paid $630 on KLM for an upgrade AMS-IAD last month Y to C, and $300 on LH for a PE to C upgrade each way FRA-DTW, so the UA offer seems to be priced right.

But it does undercut the value of being 1K, something that has existed since shortly after the merger closed.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:10 pm

MEM to IAH on V fare: $79.00
IAH to DEN on W fare: $2245.00 (WOW!)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
MSP to SFO: $233 from K (PN5 PZ0). F is 3/20 and I am the only one in E+, think I'll roll the dice

I was browsing fare tables and noticed they have raised the differential again to $219... seems like standard inflation I guess.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
MSP to SFO: $233 from K (PN5 PZ0). F is 3/20 and I am the only one in E+, think I'll roll the dice

I was browsing fare tables and noticed they have raised the differential again to $219... seems like standard inflation I guess.
I assume this was at check in offer. Yeah, no doubt roll the dice. They may end up CPU'ing a couple of Silver on this flight and your 1K....LOL
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
I assume this was at check in offer. Yeah, no doubt roll the dice. They may end up CPU'ing a couple of Silver on this flight and your 1K....LOL
Booking (21 days to go). If 3/20 with 1 in E+ at check-in, I would expect F to go out at least half-empty

Still, Silvers clearing a 739 to MSP is not uncommon.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Booking (21 days to go). If 3/20 with 1 in E+ at check-in, I would expect F to go out at least half-empty

Still, Silvers clearing a 739 to MSP is not uncommon.
findark, didn't even notice it was you. You need no advice from me as you da man when it comes to this. Good Luck...
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:23 am
Original Member

Hello all
Does anyone have any experience with upgrade offers at online check in on award tickets? I needed a one way ticket from Europe to the US which are usually crazy expensive on UA. I grabbed an award seat in Economy which I’m fine with. I would prefer Premium Economy on the 787-10 but the award pricing is still more than business. I have read the UA sometimes makes offers for paid upgrades to Premium Economy at online check in. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am curious if being on an award ticket excludes one from this. Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Data: offer does not seem to drop below this, as I can now smell the panic from IM (20 days to go, 2/20 and PN9 PZ6 IN1 I1), but offer is not lower.

Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
Does anyone have any experience with upgrade offers at online check in on award tickets? I needed a one way ticket from Europe to the US which are usually crazy expensive on UA. I grabbed an award seat in Economy which I’m fine with. I would prefer Premium Economy on the 787-10 but the award pricing is still more than business. I have read the UA sometimes makes offers for paid upgrades to Premium Economy at online check in. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am curious if being on an award ticket excludes one from this. Thanks!
There are sometimes offers given to award tickets at check-in, but it is not a guarantee. If a J award is less than a PE award, how many miles is it?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:52 am
Original Member

Thanks Findark. PE awards seem to be more expensive than business as there are no saver awards generally released in PE where as there are in biz.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leroy11
Thanks Findark. PE awards seem to be more expensive than business as there are no saver awards generally released in PE where as there are in biz.
I guess what I was getting at is if there is a Business Saver award, this is going to be a better deal than any buy-up offer you could hope to see as the difference from Economy is only 30k miles on UA metal. If it's something like a Standard Award pricing just below PE Standard, then that's another story.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just before check-in, FRA-SFO, upgrading from PE: $6718
One way J ticket: $6322

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.