Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K; WN A-List; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; National EE
Originally Posted by Shawn02139
What does the "six people eligible" mean, beyond trying to scare you into paying for an upgrade? Is that the # of people on the waitlist? Because presumably there are a bunch of people who could use miles/copay to upgrade, they don't even need to be elite.
Perhaps "six people eligible" for the paid upgrade offer based on original purchased (upgrade-eligible) fare class? It doesn't really mean much outside of a pressure-type marketing tactic anyway. Did UA start employing folks from QVC or the Home Shopping Network recently?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The price is unlikely to drop farther.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree with Kacee. That was the exact price on Sunday's flight that a friend took and it never changed from T-24 to being checked in full.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
+1. My hunch from data in this thread is that there are two price points for these, and that sounds like the lower one.

eta. based on inventory (ZN3 P0) that might not be the case, but it's a good offer. OP should still take it.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
While it is true generally that whether a buy-up will be offered for international long-haul, and if so, what the price will be is generally unpredictable, we do have many, many reports what the price and process are when a buy-up is offered. They are typically in the range of $700-900 for a Y to J buy-up, and most commonly start with an "8." While it is theoretically possible a lower price will subsequently be offered, it's not common. What's more likely is that all the seats will be sold while you wait/hope for the price to drop.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
LAX - IAD V fare, $249 offered with 18 of 20 seats booked at T-24. Declined. Checked back a few hours later and 19/20 booked, offer was $479. Passed.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
What does the "six people eligible" mean, beyond trying to scare you into paying for an upgrade? Is that the # of people on the waitlist? Because presumably there are a bunch of people who could use miles/copay to upgrade, they don't even need to be elite.
IME, "Six eligible people" is the number of people on the upgrade list but who have not yet cleared an upgrade. Either Premier members waiting for a CPU, or people waitlisted using miles/RPU/GPU. There may presumably be a bunch of people who could use miles/copay, but they would only be part of that number if they already requested and paid the miles for the upgrade.

It's a sale tactic. e.g. "You might be on the upgrade list but jf you don't buy this seat, there are 5 others who might get it instead of you."
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Just noticed this thread is also for upsells at time of purchase, so I thought I'd report the lowest upsell to a lie-flat transcon I've ever seen: $217 for BOS>SFO on UA433 on Wednesday mornings in July.

I was offered a standard lowball $299 upsell immediately post-purchase, then when I went to apply my RPU -- there was open R, which was why I pounced on the ticket in the first place -- the "cash upgrade" tab offered a $217 confirmed upgrade. Was that perhaps a hidden price, only offered to me because the system knew I had an RPU? Or was it the difference between what I'd paid for my seat and the current ultra-low P fare?

Full disclosure: I used the RPU.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
What does the "six people eligible" mean?.
It means the number of people on the upgrade waitlist.

It's possible this information is intended to scare you into paying for the upgrade -- or it's just an informational message that lets you gauge your chances of getting a CPU. :-)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Or was it the difference between what I'd paid for my seat and the current ultra-low P fare?
$217 sounds like a fare differential.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Just noticed this thread is also for upsells at time of purchase, so I thought I'd report the lowest upsell to a lie-flat transcon I've ever seen: $217 for BOS>SFO on UA433 on Wednesday mornings in July.

I was offered a standard lowball $299 upsell immediately post-purchase, then when I went to apply my RPU -- there was open R, which was why I pounced on the ticket in the first place -- the "cash upgrade" tab offered a $217 confirmed upgrade. Was that perhaps a hidden price, only offered to me because the system knew I had an RPU? Or was it the difference between what I'd paid for my seat and the current ultra-low P fare?

Interesting; $249 is the lowest upfare I've seen for this route into P
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
$217 sounds like a fare differential.
Yes - since they switched to non-differential fares on the route this is more possible. Depends how much OP paid originally for the Economy ticket though.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
It means the number of people on the upgrade waitlist.

It's possible this information is intended to scare you into paying for the upgrade -- or it's just an informational message that lets you gauge your chances of getting a CPU. :-)
Is this confirmed to be true? I've seen too many SFO-EWRs with 10 on the list and "currently 3 available for upgrade" on a $299 ToD to believe it intuitively.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by findark
Yes - since they switched to non-differential fares on the route this is more possible. Depends how much OP paid originally for the Economy ticket though.
That explains it. I had a hefty ETC to burn so I was willing to consider higher fares than usual for the o/w return: $354.20. That + $217 is almost exactly what P fares were going for.

If only UA were always so logical when pricing upgrades....
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

Sounds like this route isn't selling out F as fast as they would like. Many reports of upgrades with either instruments or CPUs including myself. I just experienced similar situation but did NOT get the "TOD" offer. Used my RPU as well. Nice flight I must admit with the TCON lie flats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.