Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Newest Travel Bank program
New UA "Travel Bank" option -- deposit funds and get a bonus

{UA} we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019.
In particular, the united.com Club
united.com Club

As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com Club. If you’re a current member, there are a few things we hope you keep in mind.

Although you’ll no longer be able to renew your membership, you’ll continue to receive the benefits of the united.com Club until your current membership period expires. If you booked any trips before the end of your current membership, we’ll credit any united.com Club benefits to your TravelBank after you’ve completed your trip.

For more questions about the program, call us at 1-800-UNITED-1.

Check your TravelBank balance

See full united.com Club terms and conditions
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes a different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Recent activity, including subscription renewals, can be found in the same location by "View details"

United.com club

T&Cs

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

Key limitation -- only for UA/UX operated flights. Tickets with partner flights are not eligible for the use of Travel Bank funds.

Customer Support / missing credits contact: [email protected]
Also [email protected] which is web support.
Direct dial to web/.com support: (800) 396-1751
Note -- you will never get an email response but the credit, if deemed valid, should show-up in a week.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
In your email, include:
  • MP account number and name
  • Traveler(s) name, number of traveler if applicable
  • Member's united.com Club enrollment date; since XX/XX/XXXX valid through XX/XX/XXXX
  • Reservation confirmation number (PNR locator)
  • Flight number, origin/destination, and travel date
5 April 2018 -- UA started posting an "expiration date", appears to be at least 18 months after most recent activity (some are longer for unknown reasons)
also states
Some of your United®TravelBank Cash may expire on a different date than what’s displayed here. Please check your balance details for a complete history of your United®TravelBank Cash transactions and the expiration date for each amount.
Expiration had previously been in the T&Cs for some time (2 years of inactivity? but now is 18 months) and had stated an ETC would be issued if the funds did timeout. Unclear if that still applies.

The Gift Registry has been disabled since Fall 2017 (Sept?) (appears this may be related to a tax issue?)
As of 5 May 2018, it still states
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.
Around Sept 2018, wording changed to
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details.
To add funds: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Print Wikipost

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:44 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If the underlying issue is the fraud issue discussed earlier, then that is the type of response I would expect.
That's my best educated guess from the responses I have received. I also think it is likely that a relatively small percentage of the customer base uses TB and therefore keeping it offline to eliminate/investigate fraud is a fairly easy decision for them.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: All the programs!
Travel Bank message updated. Now Early 2018.

We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by oopl
Travel Bank message updated. Now Early 2018.
Yup, delaying my Xmas presents!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:19 pm

On a recent trip I applied funds from both the travel bank and an e-certificate to the ticket. The remaining balance was paid with a credit card. 24 hours after the purchase was made, the ticket was still not issued. I called in and the agent said there was a message "credit card charge not matching ticket price" on the reservation. He tried to manually push through the ticket and it did not work. A supervisor was involved and after much holding it still did not work. Eventually they decided to ignore the e-certificate, charged the credit card for the "ticket price - travel bank" amount, and then voided the e-cert and issued a refund for the e-cert amount. So the lesson was not to mix e-certificate and travel bank in the same transaction.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by B747SP
On a recent trip I applied funds from both the travel bank and an e-certificate to the ticket. The remaining balance was paid with a credit card. 24 hours after the purchase was made, the ticket was still not issued. I called in and the agent said there was a message "credit card charge not matching ticket price" on the reservation. He tried to manually push through the ticket and it did not work. A supervisor was involved and after much holding it still did not work. Eventually they decided to ignore the e-certificate, charged the credit card for the "ticket price - travel bank" amount, and then voided the e-cert and issued a refund for the e-cert amount. So the lesson was not to mix e-certificate and travel bank in the same transaction.
I'm pretty sure the terms of both TravelBank and e-certs both state they can't be combined. At least one of them does. Usually, when you use an e-cert, the option to use TravelBank goes away, and vice-versa. So it's not supposed to let you even do it.

I remember several years ago, when US was still in the alliance, I booked a ticket on UA.com that was a mix of UA and US segments. I was shocked that it allowed me to use an ecert to book it (since, per the terms, its not supposed to be used on codeshares), but it did. Next day, it still hadn't ticketed, because of the ecert and US flights. Eventually (after the agent tried to insist he needed to cancel it, and I needed to rebook, at a now higher price), he eventually let me just pay the full amount on my card.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Ugh so annoying. The travel bank should be treated same as cash/card.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Is there anyone here who has successfully cancelled united.com club $25 annual subscription. This is my third year in a roll and my credit card got charged $25 on 1/12 this year, in the past two years I paid total $50 well I got a cool $40 credit back means I lost $10 in two years, what a ROI, HAHA! I do have evidence that I didn't get some ticket credit but I don't want to waist my time to argue. Long story short, I tried to cancel but no option on united.com. I just called 1k line and after long research the CSR told me I have to wait until one month later on 2/13 to cancel on united.com, is this true? Do I have to call my card issuer Chase to refund the $25?

Two CSRs are confused this with United club subscriptions initially and I have to explain to them, no fun!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by tomwhom
Is there anyone here who has successfully cancelled united.com club $25 annual subscription. This is my third year in a roll and my credit card got charged $25 on 1/12 this year, in the past two years I paid total $50 well I got a cool $40 credit back means I lost $10 in two years, what a ROI, HAHA! I do have evidence that I didn't get some ticket credit but I don't want to waist my time to argue. Long story short, I tried to cancel but no option on united.com. I just called 1k line and after long research the CSR told me I have to wait until one month later on 2/13 to cancel on united.com, is this true? Do I have to call my card issuer Chase to refund the $25?

Two CSRs are confused this with United club subscriptions initially and I have to explain to them, no fun!
Yeah there's no way to cancel autopay so newbies should never ever check "Please automatically renew my membership annually." What a great program! They should call it Hotel California! I'm not on the cusp and I don't see a cancel button so I assume cancelling would have to be a manual process. Or you could reissue your credit card number and dispute the last charge! Unclear which is the path of least resistance! lol
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:21 am

Sorry if this was asked up thread, but I haven't seen it in the last ~20 posts.

Can you use Gift Registry funds to upgrade your economy seats to Economy Plus?

Thank you,

PedroNY
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:10 pm

Does it count if you book on the app or only the website?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:38 am

Has anyone heard news about the gift registry coming back? They are still saying early 2018 and early 2018 is rapidly coming to a close.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by weibelt
Has anyone heard news about the gift registry coming back? They are still saying early 2018 and early 2018 is rapidly coming to a close.
Early 2018 in the UA universe is actually December 3, 2018. It's easy to calculate dates for things like this - just use the Polaris rollout for reference.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:07 pm

I have $435 in the TravelBank and no plans to fly United domestically any time soon. How I can cash out these funds? Do I need to buy a ticket for someone else? Is this allowed in the couponconnection?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
I have $435 in the TravelBank and no plans to fly United domestically any time soon. How I can cash out these funds? Do I need to buy a ticket for someone else? Is this allowed in the couponconnection?
Years ago there use to be a process for unactive accounts (afater24? months) to cash out to an UA voucher (ETC) but I not longer see that.

You can purchase tickets for others from your account but from the T&Cs
The sale, barter or other transfer or attempted sale, barter or other transfer of any TravelBank Cash, TravelBank Award or other benefit, other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United, is expressly prohibited. Any TravelBank Cash, TravelBank Award or benefit sold, bartered or otherwise transferred is in violation of the Rules and any accounts or Members involved in such sales, barters or other transfers may be subject to United's Remedies. The acquisition, use, transfer or attempted acquisition, use or transfer of TravelBank Cash, TravelBank Awards or benefits that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other transfer in violation of The Rules may result in United's exercise of United's Remedies.
As far as Coupon Connection, that discussion is best there but the answer is no.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 31, 2018 at 11:35 pm Reason: T&C link
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
you can use these for international flights (assuming they are all UA/UAx segments).

But if you have no plans to fly UA at all, I believe the policy is still, as winecountry notes, that the funds are put into an ETC after 24 months of travel bank inactivity. At that point, the travel bank would be emptied, the ETC info. Would be emailed to you, and be valid for 1 year from date of ETC issue. The ETC can be used for any traveler - does not have to be you, but to redeeem, you must input the certificate info. plus last name to who it was issued to to validate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.