Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Newest Travel Bank program
New UA "Travel Bank" option -- deposit funds and get a bonus

{UA} we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019.
In particular, the united.com Club
united.com Club

As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com Club. If you’re a current member, there are a few things we hope you keep in mind.

Although you’ll no longer be able to renew your membership, you’ll continue to receive the benefits of the united.com Club until your current membership period expires. If you booked any trips before the end of your current membership, we’ll credit any united.com Club benefits to your TravelBank after you’ve completed your trip.

For more questions about the program, call us at 1-800-UNITED-1.

Check your TravelBank balance

See full united.com Club terms and conditions
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes a different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Recent activity, including subscription renewals, can be found in the same location by "View details"

United.com club

T&Cs

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

Key limitation -- only for UA/UX operated flights. Tickets with partner flights are not eligible for the use of Travel Bank funds.

Customer Support / missing credits contact: [email protected]
Also [email protected] which is web support.
Direct dial to web/.com support: (800) 396-1751
Note -- you will never get an email response but the credit, if deemed valid, should show-up in a week.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
In your email, include:
  • MP account number and name
  • Traveler(s) name, number of traveler if applicable
  • Member's united.com Club enrollment date; since XX/XX/XXXX valid through XX/XX/XXXX
  • Reservation confirmation number (PNR locator)
  • Flight number, origin/destination, and travel date
5 April 2018 -- UA started posting an "expiration date", appears to be at least 18 months after most recent activity (some are longer for unknown reasons)
also states
Some of your United®TravelBank Cash may expire on a different date than what’s displayed here. Please check your balance details for a complete history of your United®TravelBank Cash transactions and the expiration date for each amount.
Expiration had previously been in the T&Cs for some time (2 years of inactivity? but now is 18 months) and had stated an ETC would be issued if the funds did timeout. Unclear if that still applies.

The Gift Registry has been disabled since Fall 2017 (Sept?) (appears this may be related to a tax issue?)
As of 5 May 2018, it still states
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.
Around Sept 2018, wording changed to
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details.
To add funds: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Print Wikipost

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:22 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
There is a thread about Travelbank you may find helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ravelbank.html

Further, purchase on United or codeshare seems to be implied in other language on united.com
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:32 am

How do I apply $ in my Travelbank to a purchase

Can't see anywhere to apply the $100 in my Travelbank to a purchase. Called and reps don't have a clue, even web support folks I am talking to don't understand this feature!
Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:40 am

You can apply your travel bank credit on the payment page. After you select your flight, you go to the traveler information screen. Then to seat selection page, and then to the payment page. Here you can go to the Redemption Options section and apply your travel credits or if you have an eletctronic voucher.

Hope this helps, safe travels!

Originally Posted by shdflyer
Can't see anywhere to apply the $100 in my Travelbank to a purchase. Called and reps don't have a clue, even web support folks I am talking to don't understand this feature!
Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:11 am

Travelbank $ Only Usable on UA metal

After 45 minutes with web support trying to apply my Travelbank $ to a reservation, they finally figured out that the reason I cannot use it is because my reservation includes a codeshare. They figured out that Travelbank $ can only be used on itineraries that are UA metal all the way. I made some dummy domestic reservations with codeshares to test this and this appears to be true. Web support said they will be updating the website to indicate this limitation...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The website has the following on the TravelBank page :

"These funds can then be used to purchase travel to anywhere United or United Express flies"

Which I presume is their way or saying "no codeshares", but obviously there's plenty of flights that are codeshares that fly to places that United/UX does fly...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
After 45 minutes with web support trying to apply my Travelbank $ to a reservation, they finally figured out that the reason I cannot use it is because my reservation includes a codeshare. They figured out that Travelbank $ can only be used on itineraries that are UA metal all the way. I made some dummy domestic reservations with codeshares to test this and this appears to be true. Web support said they will be updating the website to indicate this limitation...
This is correct, travelbank funds can only be used on UA metal. UA flight numbers codeshared on other metal will prevent the travelbank option from showing. Also found this out the hard way some months back... it's not very clear from the T&C.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Do you get $5 for codeshare reservation made on united.com? Had 3 flights on US Airways and did not get anything from them. I know travel bank can only be redeemed on UA metal but it doesn't specify if it can be earned on codeshare flights.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alexperi
This is correct, travelbank funds can only be used on UA metal. UA flight numbers codeshared on other metal will prevent the travelbank option from showing. Also found this out the hard way some months back... it's not very clear from the T&C.
Not very clear? There is nowhere on travel bank T&Cs that says they can't be used on codeshares. But no, the option usually won't show up when booking.

When I was booking to BKK in August (for a December trip), with an NH segment as one of the TPACs - here's what I did. I held the ticket (using pay with cash - I think) and then kept calling. It took about 5 or 6 calls to web support and reservations, but they eventually ticketed it for me.

The first few calls, I got told they couldn't use it because of the codeshare. I told them that was unacceptable as the terms didn't mention this anywhere, and that certs you can't use on codeshares always specifically mention this.

Finally, got a reservations agent who agreed this was the case. She first spent about 45 minutes trying to manually add it, then took my info and was going to work on it for means call back. Within 2 hours, she called back saying it had been ticketed, and that the travel bank funds were still in the account, but would come out within 2 days (used a credit card to pay for the balance).

I pressed so much on this because we weren't talking about a few bucks, but about $1500 from a gift registry my wife and I set up so we could use it did our honeymoon. Not sure, really, what is so difficult about either putting no codeshares on the T&Cs, or allowing the use. I presume I got lucky with a great agent - and that this is very YMMV.

Interestingly enough, day before we left I booked a domestic trip involving US air segments on the UA site, and wanted to use a TCV to cover a portion. Didn't think I would be able to (said some codeshares were allowed) and surprisingly, had the option for gift cards, travel bank credit, etc. was able to successfully apply on the site, and seemed to go through. Titan email shortly after saying ticketing was taking longer than normal, but would confirm within 24. 24 hours later - another email saying they couldn't be used. Was able to ticket by calling and paying total on CC.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Not very clear? .....
seems very clear, even if UA can not process it
united.club FAQS
Can I use my credit toward any flight?
Yes. Credits are deposited in your TravelBank and may be applied to any air travel purchased at united.com (excluding MileagePlus award travel).
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:50 pm

Thanks!
I had a major schedule change (MR) with a mis-connect and asked res if I cancelled whether I would get my $30.00 "Travel Bank" funds put back. The agent had absolutely NO IDEA what I was talking about. Rather than educate her, I immediately went to "Plan B" and that was to book another r/t to the same destination & back (same booking code), a few months down the road, for an additional fee of $16.00.

I still don't know what happens to these funds if a trip is cancelled, and apparently neither do many res agents, as they don't have the foggiest idea what "Travel Bank" means!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: United - GS, Hilton - Diamond, Starwood - Gold
Yeah, a lot of the agents have no idea what it is.. even after I explain it to them and point them to the website link describing the program. Still, no clue. I had one rep at the GS line tell me I had to call Chase for a Travelbank issue. I told her Chase had nothing to do with it!

Anyway, I booked a nonrefundable ticket using Travelbank money once and then had to cancel within the 24 hour period for cancellations without penalty. It took a couple of days, but I got my travelbank money back automatically without any issues. Not sure if the same applies with tickets cancelled outside of the 24 hour window though... I think the Web desk handles issues with Travelbank, so you might try calling United and asking to be directed to the Web desk. That's what an agent told me once.

Originally Posted by LilAbner
I had a major schedule change (MR) with a mis-connect and asked res if I cancelled whether I would get my $30.00 "Travel Bank" funds put back. The agent had absolutely NO IDEA what I was talking about. Rather than educate her, I immediately went to "Plan B" and that was to book another r/t to the same destination & back (same booking code), a few months down the road, for an additional fee of $16.00.

I still don't know what happens to these funds if a trip is cancelled, and apparently neither do many res agents, as they don't have the foggiest idea what "Travel Bank" means!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
United took my travel bank money but lost my reservation

I've usually been pretty good about not relaxing until I have a ticket number, but for some reason I've been relaxing more and never had problems with United in this regard. Now searching for my record locator number yields nothing. I called them and they have no record of that number either.

They suggest booking and writing to customer service or calling 1-800 WE DONT CARE

I checked my travel bank and low and behold there it is:
DEBITS

Redemption:SFO To MSY
Travel Date:2013-02-02 16:38
Confirmation Number: XXXXXX
Traveler Names: XXX

Any ideas?
Of course now the ticket price is much higher...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Anyone know what happens to your existing credit when your membership expires? Obviously no membership means no new money hitting your balance, but does the balance remain to spend after the membership expires, or does it zero out on expiry? How about tickets that were bought whilst a member, but flow after membership expires?

Best I can work out from the website, the credit should remain (as that's in TravelBank, which doesn't require any membership fees), but there's no real mention of the book before/flown afterwards case...

Last edited by docbert; Mar 15, 2013 at 11:24 am
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sjefenole
I've usually been pretty good about not relaxing until I have a ticket number, but for some reason I've been relaxing more and never had problems with United in this regard. Now searching for my record locator number yields nothing. I called them and they have no record of that number either.

They suggest booking and writing to customer service or calling 1-800 WE DONT CARE

DEBITS

Any ideas?
Are you sure it says travel date of February 2nd, not redemption date?

I imagine the confirmation never ticketed which is very odd.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sjefenole

DEBITS

Any ideas?
I've had instances where using TravelBank funds in combination with a 1016 e-cert causes a rez not to ticket. I was actually told by Premier Services that you cannot combine TravelBank funds with an ecert, which is just ridiculous considering the website allows you to do just that.

More lousy IT from the world's leading airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.