Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM
Any idea what the "return to counter" message means on the precheck scanner? I got that in Cincy this morning. The TSA guy waived me through to the regular line rather than send me back to the check in counter, but suggested I call the airline to find out what it meant. He had no idea.

My global entry card came this week after an interview last Saturday. I wondered if that was the issue?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:08 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
Any word if CLEAR has been fighting the roll-out of Pre-Check, as it basically makes their business model obsolete? Or can they make it where they compliment each other, as in you get to skip to the front of the line from CLEAR, and then experience the Pre-Check security procedures?
They could, but there is little value to CLEAR at 'proper' PreCheck airports, unless you are not PreCheck eligible or do a lot of international travel.

Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
You still have to wait in line for them to scan and realize you have pre-check. This is where CLEAR has a benefit, as there is never a line at a CLEAR station. You can immediately be scanned.
At the majority of hubs, the TSA PreCheck is separate up to the ID checker and guarded by a contract employee with a scanner, so CLEAR isn't necessary there. At non-hubs, it can be a problem. But CLEAR hasn't proliferated very much anyway.

Originally Posted by andyh64000
The north premier line at SEA was screwed up about a year or so ago but they at least split the PRE line so you could move through quickly. Well now it is all one line to get ID and boarding pass checked meaning a wait that is usually longer than the general line.
This should be fixed sometime this week; it is supposed to become a guarded line at the center checkpoint, moving out of the 5N corner checkpoint.

Originally Posted by eyevision
Any idea what the "return to counter" message means on the precheck scanner? I got that in Cincy this morning. The TSA guy waived me through to the regular line rather than send me back to the check in counter, but suggested I call the airline to find out what it meant. He had no idea.
Probably the same as "invalid boarding pass signature". It means that the barcode was not of proper quality, or it was a poor read for some reason. Using a good laser printer, a working airport kiosk or an electronic boarding pass can prevent this problem.

Originally Posted by eyevision
My global entry card came this week after an interview last Saturday. I wondered if that was the issue?
Unrelated.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold ex DM, Marriott and Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by andyh64000
The north premier line at SEA was screwed up about a year or so ago but they at least split the PRE line so you could move through quickly. Well now it is all one line to get ID and boarding pass checked meaning a wait that is usually longer than the general line.
I flew out of SEA this morning.. and was hoping for my triple beep since I went through my GE interview on Friday and approved...

Here's what the setup looked like at SEA. They moved PreCheck from the North security checkpoint to Checkpoint 3 closer to the middle of the terminal. I guess it's good for all the AS flyers out of SEA.

Checkpoint 3 was divided in to 2 lines. One was for all flyers and the other was for PreCheck / Elites. The line was about 15 people long at 7:30AM to get to the first scanner. The TSA agent will take your BP and scan it and if you qualify for PreCheck, they'll direct you to the left line. If you're just a premier or do not qualify for PreCheck, you join the right line.

The left line goes to a dedicated xray machine with a walk through metal detector.

The right line joins the regular line and you get your ID checked and go through the xray machine.

I was flying AS this morning. I had my TT# in my AS profile, made sure that the Secure Flight info matched as FIRST MIDDLE LAST all spelled out... but I didn't get the triple beep.

Is it because my AS Mileage Plan Account has FIRST initial LAST and the ticket was issued as FIRST initial LAST ??

I have a flight with UA next Monday out of SEA. My MP account profile says FIRST initial LAST... but this time, I bought the ticket as FIRST MIDDLE LAST... and made sure my Traveler ID in my ticket showed FIRST MIDDLE LAST and my TT#.

Ever since I opted in with UA like 3-4 months ago, I have never ever been selected for PreCheck.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by xxdboixx

I was flying AS this morning. I had my TT# in my AS profile, made sure that the Secure Flight info matched as FIRST MIDDLE LAST all spelled out... but I didn't get the triple beep.

Is it because my AS Mileage Plan Account has FIRST initial LAST and the ticket was issued as FIRST initial LAST ??

I have a flight with UA next Monday out of SEA. My MP account profile says FIRST initial LAST... but this time, I bought the ticket as FIRST MIDDLE LAST... and made sure my Traveler ID in my ticket showed FIRST MIDDLE LAST and my TT#.

Ever since I opted in with UA like 3-4 months ago, I have never ever been selected for PreCheck.
The problem w/signing up for PreCheck is that one is never 'confirmed' for participation w/the carrier, so it's hard to tell if you are truly in the PreCheck program. Even if you are eligible for PreCheck, -- it can be 'random' (ie. you won't necessarily get the 'three beeps, every time, every flt.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
That's for sure. After 150k miles this year, it's still hit or miss.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:34 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
This should be fixed sometime this week; it is supposed to become a guarded line at the center checkpoint, moving out of the 5N corner checkpoint.
Here's what the setup looked like at SEA. They moved PreCheck from the North security checkpoint to Checkpoint 3 closer to the middle of the terminal. I guess it's good for all the AS flyers out of SEA.
So it looks like they made the change today!

Checkpoint 3 was divided in to 2 lines. One was for all flyers and the other was for PreCheck / Elites. The line was about 15 people long at 7:30AM to get to the first scanner. The TSA agent will take your BP and scan it and if you qualify for PreCheck, they'll direct you to the left line. If you're just a premier or do not qualify for PreCheck, you join the right line.
What do you mean, "the first scanner"? Was your boarding boarding pass scanned a second time? Traditionally, PreCheck lines at hubs are setup so that a contract employee from the airline guards the entrance to the line and scans the first time; then you are directed to a 'bypass' line which gets you straight to the TSA where they then scan your BP. Your post implies that there are two (or more) scans of the boarding pass, yet you indicate that a "TSA agent" did the first scan. Are you sure it was a TSA agent? And was there one scans or two scans. If only one scan (by the TSA), they didn't set it up properly. Also, how long did you have to wait for your boarding pass to be scanned "the first time" when you were in back of the ~15 people? Where was the line guarded?

Originally Posted by mnmag
The problem w/signing up for PreCheck is that one is never 'confirmed' for participation w/the carrier, so it's hard to tell if you are truly in the PreCheck program.
Not so; AA confirms that you are eligible with a green check mark under the Known Traveler Field in reservations. The icon denotes eligibility through the carrier (as opposed to CBP).
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by abaheti
WOW. What a different experience.

LAX-IAH-LGA on Friday 10/19, departure 9:11am. Originally spouse+me on one PNR. I entered the traveler info. Split PNR. I verified the info. We are both Global Entry. I got three beeps, she got one beep (but the guard let her come down to the TSA checker with me so she got to skip the regular premier line at least). I was thrilled, she was not. I made sure her traveler info on the reservation matched her GE card (First Middle Last) -- but UA has her as FirstM Last. Am chalking it up to "random" checks? She flies Southwest weekly, but UA twice a year (with me) only so maybe that's also part of the algorithm?
It shouldn't matter what your name in the reservation record itself is; you have to actually edit the Secure Flight information in your reservation to ensure the name exactly matches the GOES profile. For new reservations, Secure Flight information can be entered during the reservation process; for existing ones, it can be added in the regular view itinerary screen on united.com.

There is no (apparent) correlation between the name the airline has on file for you and the name on file in your Secure Flight information; I don't see any way the system would prevent you from booking a ticket for John Q. Doe but listing Jack William Smith in the Secure Flight information screen, although that obviously doesn't help you get PreCheck.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:52 pm
smn

Originally Posted by ilovesprint
Here is how you check your mobile boarding pass to see if you have been cleared for TSA PreCheck

#1 take a snap shot of your mobile boarding pass on your iPhone

#2 Download Photoshop Express for itunes store
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adob...331975235?mt=8

#3 Locate your screen shot of your mobile boarding pass in your camera roll.

#4 upload image into Photoshop Express and crop it so you just have bardcode left

#5 Download QRAFTER – barcode reader.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/qraf...416098700?mt=8

#6 Upload image into QRFATER to decode

United: if you have mobile boarding pass shows a “3” like this – you should have Pre Check

11F>30B MMXXX BUA 0XXX6 3 – Pre Check
11F>30B MMXXX BUA 0XXX6 0 – No Pre Check
Does anyone know if you could use QRAFTER to create a new QR code based on the decoded information but simply changing the '0' to a '3'? You could then edit the boarding pass image to include the new QR code. I'd like to think the program is more secure than just this and involves some more of a check... Then again, if that's all you have to do, what stops someone from simply changing the name on the pass and doing the same thing?

UPDATE: A quick search found this - https://puckinflight.wordpress.com/2...-check-system/

Last edited by smn; Oct 22, 2012 at 5:58 pm
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Pre-check at the LAX UA check-in is the best thing to happen to my travel experience since lay-flat international C. Being on the other side of security within five minutes of arrival without have to dis-robe puts me in the best mood possible to cope the inevitable line at the UC with some indignant Amex Platinum holder holding up the line. Success all around.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott lifetime Plat
Flying UA, I used TSA PreCheck at IAD on Friday (10/19) in the early afternoon -- absolutely no lines. IIRC, my paper OLCI BP was scanned twice -- by what appeared to be a contract employee as I entered the PreCheck area, and then a second time by a TSA agent right before the x-ray belt.

Used PreCheck at DEN on Sunday evening (10/21). Again deserted. My paper OLCI BP was scanned only once -- by a TSA agent as I entered the area.

For these flighs, I noticed that my UA OLCI BPs included a special statement addressed to "TSA Pre-Screening Participants," giving me directions to the PreCheck area. Coincidence?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by busyexec331
Used TSA PreCheck at IAD on Friday (10/19) in the early afternoon -- absolutely no lines. IIRC, my paper OLCI BP was scanned twice -- by what appeared to be a contract employee as I entered the PreCheck area, and then a second time by a TSA agent right before the x-ray belt.

Used PreCheck at DEN on Sunday evening (10/21). Again deserted. My paper OLCI BP was scanned only once -- by a TSA agent as I entered the area.

For these flighs, I noticed that my OLCI BPs included a special statement addressed to "TSA Pre-Screening Participants," giving me directions to the PreCheck area. Coincidence?
No coincidence. If you're going through a Pre-Check airport, it'll tell you where to find the checkpoint. This is not limited to people who will get Pre-Check on that itin.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:07 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Used TSA PreCheck at IAD on Friday (10/19) in the early afternoon -- absolutely no lines. IIRC, my paper OLCI BP was scanned twice -- by what appeared to be a contract employee as I entered the PreCheck area, and then a second time by a TSA agent right before the x-ray belt.
I'm glad we've got this at last at IAD. I made it through tonight in ~1 minute. Now, how long before more people enroll, and the checkpoint gets crowded?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
No coincidence. If you're going through a Pre-Check airport, it'll tell you where to find the checkpoint. This is not limited to people who will get Pre-Check on that itin.
Then I was a very lucky guy, because I took it as a divine sign from above, and just waltzed in to the PreCheck area and got the three beeps. (I do have Global Entry, so at least it was a somewhat educated hope.)

PreCheck was indeed a blessing at IAD. I have learned never to go there when I'm in a hurry. I may finally be able to un-learn that lesson.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
pre-check has worked every time for me where it's been available since opting in. i got GE this last June and realized that the GE credentials was all i needed to opt in through UA. as for this morning, i was through C-3 at EWR at 5:30 am in under 2 or 3 min, max. having the scanner at the outside instead of at the TDC makes a tremendous difference.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:46 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smn
Does anyone know if you could use QRAFTER to create a new QR code based on the decoded information but simply changing the '0' to a '3'? You could then edit the boarding pass image to include the new QR code. I'd like to think the program is more secure than just this and involves some more of a check... Then again, if that's all you have to do, what stops someone from simply changing the name on the pass and doing the same thing?

UPDATE: A quick search found this - https://puckinflight.wordpress.com/2...-check-system/
The discussion you are looking for is right here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...s-qr-code.html

In short, the answer to your question is that each boarding pass barcode has a signature that incorporates the barcode's data elements, and changing the barcode data without changing the signature will create a mismatch between the two. In the case of a mismatch, PreCheck isn't going to work. The screen will say "INVALID BP SIGNATURE", or something like that when TSA scans it.

PreCheck was indeed a blessing at IAD. I have learned never to go there when I'm in a hurry. I may finally be able to un-learn that lesson.
Only if you check your boarding pass in advance, though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.