Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
This morning - 3rd time now successfully through EWR Pre-Check lane. (I had scanned the bar code yesterday to confirm it had the "3" on it.)

Like last time, I left my 8oz medical liquid cartons (2 or them) in my bag - no problem. They did snag the bottle of water I tried bringing through. I wanted to see if that was allowable.

It still feels weird to walk through the scanner with my shoes and jacket on, but I could definitely get used to this.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:25 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SS255
If you type your Pass ID# into your US reservation when you do web check-in, it will work. I wouldn't rely on the information carrying over from your UA profile.
It will carry over if you made your US reservation on UA's website.

Originally Posted by jackal
Good point. With paper BPs, the agents appear to scrutinize them fairly carefully, but with electronic BPs, they don't seem to look. (I'm not 100% sure what appears on their side of the LCD display of the scanner, but surely it's not big enough to display all of the flight details, so they may not even know what terminal you are supposed to fly out of.)

As FH said, it's moving to where you think it should be. That said, it'll be a tad less convenient for the AS flyers needing to head to the N gates, and AS is likely the biggest user of PreCheck in SEA (since they have the highest number of elites in SEA and are offering it to their elites).
I don't know what makes you think that AS will be the biggest user of PreCheck at SEA after the move; AA, UA, US and DL, four major carriers with PreCheck, also fly there. Does AS really have more elite travelers originating in SEA compared to the sum the other 4. Maybe slightly. Perhaps TSA wants to make it like it is at other airports instead of putting it in a corner with a backed up line full of non-PreCheck people. Remember, TSA's goal is to put as many people through the lane as possible, and clearly they think that will happen better if it is put in a more neutral location.

Originally Posted by jackal
For #1, airlines are typically only inviting their top (or near-top) elites. In UA's case, they're only offering it to Plats and 1Ks. In any case, if you opt-in to PreCheck via an invitation from UA, you will only get the benefit when flying on UA. Also, UA doesn't make the ultimate decision about whether you will receive PreCheck on any particular itinerary; they transmit your information to the TSA, who then responds back with a "yes" or "no," which UA then encodes in your boarding pass. Even if you qualify, TSA reserves the right to deny you PreCheck benefits on any particular itinerary (and appears to do that somewhat often) in order to introduce a certain amount of "randomness" into the process and keep you from getting too complacent about airport security.
United invites passengers based on TSA criteria; your elite level doesn't bear on whether you get an invitation. It just so happens that whatever travel pattern(s) the TSA insists on for granting PreCheck generally produce elite status; hence, higher-tier elites are more likely than lower-tier elites to get invited to PreCheck. But anyone can 'opt in'; if you opt in and get PreCheck without getting an invitation from UA it means one of three things: You qualified for PreCheck recently and UA didn't run an invitation sweep since then, you checked the box a long long time ago before any invitations ever went out, or UA is incorrectly sweeping for invitations. There is a report of a 2P getting PreCheck on this thread, so high-tier elite status is not a must.

Originally Posted by ralfp
Got PreCheck (verified beforehand using PDF barcode reader).

Scan BP: get error about "Invalid Sig". I guess that means the hash didn't match... hmmm.

Scan the mobile BP (quite a PITA when using an iPad) and it works.
A poor quality printout or a spec here or there can cause that. Using paper BPs, a good-quality laser printer is the best choice.

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
They did snag the bottle of water I tried bringing through. I wanted to see if that was allowable.

Last edited by Ari; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:33 am
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
FAQ in how to see if you have pre check

Here is how you check your mobile boarding pass to see if you have been cleared for TSA PreCheck

#1 take a snap shot of your mobile boarding pass on your iPhone

#2 Download Photoshop Express for itunes store
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adob...331975235?mt=8

#3 Locate your screen shot of your mobile boarding pass in your camera roll.

#4 upload image into Photoshop Express and crop it so you just have bardcode left

#5 Download QRAFTER – barcode reader.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/qraf...416098700?mt=8

#6 Upload image into QRFATER to decode

United: if you have mobile boarding pass shows a “3” like this – you should have Pre Check

11F>30B MMXXX BUA 0XXX6 3 – Pre Check
11F>30B MMXXX BUA 0XXX6 0 – No Pre Check

American
218 WXXXXBAA 0000000000000290010XXX1332153 AA AA – Pre Check
218 WXXXXBAA 0000000000000290010XXX1332150 AA AA – No Pre Check

To sign up for Pre✓™ you must be a U. S. Citizen, an invited (via e-mail) AA Platinum or Executive Platinum flyer and enter the Trusted Traveler number that appears on the page you are directed to in the e-mail, or have a nine digit PASS ID number from USCBP GOES - "Global Online Enrollment System" - which includes Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI Trusted Traveler, nine numbers (you can recover yours here if you are a member of one of these programs) and enter it in the "Known Passenger" box on the appropriate aa.com page; the information will be encoded on your AA Boarding Pass within the bar code.

The first opt-in period ended 23 Sep 2011.

(Known Passenger number has nine digits - no letters)

Your enabled PNRs may reflect SSR DOCO AA HK1//K/AAFREQUENT1 (not the number, which is encoded on BPs - but see following.)

Trusted Traveler #
If you have one, make sure it is entered in your airline profile & TSA Secure flight data matches exactly to your Trusted Traveler Info

Travelers Eligible for Pre-Check

United offers MileagePlus members the opportunity to sign-up for Pre-Check access. To do so, you must sign in to your MileagePlus account on United.com, and click the button to “Opt-In” for Pre-Check. You will not receive any communication from United about your status in the program.

If you are a member of one of the government Trusted Traveler Programs (Global Entry, NEXUS, or Sentri), enter your PASS ID in the box provided on United.com. By doing so, you can greatly increase your chances of receiving Pre-Check access on qualifying itineraries.

Your PASS ID can be found either on your program card, or in your Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) account.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Used Pre-Check in DEN last night. The regular lanes were deserted, as was Pre-Check (BP scanner had shut it self off, which the clerk mentioned happens after nobody scans for a while).

Approaching the WTMD, three clerks (x-ray guy, WTMD guy, and tub guy) were having social hour. They said nothing to me, and continued to talk while I walked through.

Nice to finally have it operational in Denver!

Originally Posted by ilovesprint
Here is how you check your mobile boarding pass to see if you have been cleared for TSA PreCheck

#1 take a snap shot of your mobile boarding pass on your iPhone

#2 Download Photoshop Express for itunes store
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adob...331975235?mt=8

#3 Locate your screen shot of your mobile boarding pass in your camera roll.

#4 upload image into Photoshop Express and crop it so you just have bardcode left

#5 Download QRAFTER – barcode reader.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/qraf...416098700?mt=8

#6 Upload image into QRFATER to decode

One can just use Neo-Reader to scan straight from an iPhone/Android, or use Manatee to scan a paper BP. No reason to take a photo, and then have to crop each BP, etc...
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
One can just use Neo-Reader to scan straight from an iPhone/Android, or use Manatee to scan a paper BP. No reason to take a photo, and then have to crop each BP, etc...
When I online checkin I do the printout to my laptop screen and scan it with the manatee app on my phone. Or I'll take the pdf from email to my ipad and scan it there.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:27 pm
Suspended

I like what I hear

LAX line at T-6 looks good!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Finally did my first precheck in ORD last week! The Elite lines were fairly short, but still opted to go through pre-check just for the experience.

Upon my excitement, I forgot my bottled water in my laptop bag. They simply took the water out and said thank you. Woohoo! Lov'in PreCheck!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
This only works if you've got a second device though. For anyone who only carries a single device or doesn't want to involve a laptop in the process, the advice about QRAFTER from ilovesprint is very good.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Any word if CLEAR has been fighting the roll-out of Pre-Check, as it basically makes their business model obsolete? Or can they make it where they compliment each other, as in you get to skip to the front of the line from CLEAR, and then experience the Pre-Check security procedures?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
Any word if CLEAR has been fighting the roll-out of Pre-Check, as it basically makes their business model obsolete? Or can they make it where they compliment each other, as in you get to skip to the front of the line from CLEAR, and then experience the Pre-Check security procedures?
If you have Precheck for that itinerary, you get to skip to the front of the line.

I don't see why CLEAR is needed here.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by ilovesprint
I haven't tried photoshop express. You don't need it for this.

You can crop/scale the image in the photo viewer (choose the photo, click "edit" and select the crop "button" on the bottom to crop the image), or you can do it in qrafter also by selecting the move/scale image slider before choosing the image to import.

Thanks!

This is much better than having to print out the paper bp or trying to scan it from another screen.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 22, 2012 at 2:00 am
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:12 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
If you have Precheck for that itinerary, you get to skip to the front of the line.
What does that mean?

I got PreCheck out of EWR and now (on the same itinerary) I don't have it out of CVG. What line-skipping am I entitled to?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK

I don't see why CLEAR is needed here.
You still have to wait in line for them to scan and realize you have pre-check. This is where CLEAR has a benefit, as there is never a line at a CLEAR station. You can immediately be scanned.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
WOW. What a different experience.

LAX-IAH-LGA on Friday 10/19, departure 9:11am. Originally spouse+me on one PNR. I entered the traveler info. Split PNR. I verified the info. We are both Global Entry. I got three beeps, she got one beep (but the guard let her come down to the TSA checker with me so she got to skip the regular premier line at least). I was thrilled, she was not. I made sure her traveler info on the reservation matched her GE card (First Middle Last) -- but UA has her as FirstM Last. Am chalking it up to "random" checks? She flies Southwest weekly, but UA twice a year (with me) only so maybe that's also part of the algorithm?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
SEA is a disaster

The north premier line at SEA was screwed up about a year or so ago but they at least split the PRE line so you could move through quickly. Well now it is all one line to get ID and boarding pass checked meaning a wait that is usually longer than the general line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.