Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by gnaget

It's idiotic to exclude international flights.
If Global Entry gets you PreCheck, it seems kind of counter-intuitive to disqualify GE members from using PreCheck on international itineraries.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA: Platinum
Sure is. Especially since those of us who are GE have been screened and interviewed face to face by the CBP and TSA-Pre is given to people who fly often with no face to face interviewing. And I'm sure much less crime background checking.

UAL helped me get TSA Pre only because they know I fly much with them. I was never interviewed by anyone. I am now GE and, honestly, are a bit concerned about travelers who receive the TSA Pre designation before GE.

In my opinion, no one should be TSA Pre without first being GE. Or, at least, the TSA should use the same face to face interview and background checks as CBP requries for GE membership.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by gnaget
It's idiotic to exclude international flights.
Agreed. And perhaps even more so to exclude connecting domestic legs while continuing an international itinerary.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thread drift alert -

Please hold meta-discussion about the PreCheck program (like why international itineraries aren't valid for PreCheck) in the Pratical Travel Issues and Safety Issues forum as it really isn't specific to United; thanks.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Started reading through this thread and after looking at a couple of recent boarding passes, came across some weirdness.

My boarding pass from this past Monday had a 3 at the end. Today I checked-in for my return and changed my flight. When I scanned the boarding pass the last number was a 0.

I was under the impression that if you had PreCheck on the outbound, you'd have it on the return. Is that not actually the case? What does the 0 actually mean, that the PreCheck data hasn't been found?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I was under the impression that if you had PreCheck on the outbound, you'd have it on the return. Is that not actually the case?
No guarantees that you'll get it on outbound and return. Totally random selection that the TSA keeps secret.

What does the 0 actually mean, that the PreCheck data hasn't been found?
It means that you don't qualify for Pre-Check on that specific flight.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Started reading through this thread and after looking at a couple of recent boarding passes, came across some weirdness.

My boarding pass from this past Monday had a 3 at the end. Today I checked-in for my return and changed my flight. When I scanned the boarding pass the last number was a 0.

I was under the impression that if you had PreCheck on the outbound, you'd have it on the return. Is that not actually the case? What does the 0 actually mean, that the PreCheck data hasn't been found?
As you know, the TSA is all about making things unpredictable and random. Sometimes you'll get pre-check, other times you won't. Receiving it on the outbound doesn't mean you'll have it on the return. 0 just means you don't get to go through the pre-check lane. That's all. Could be random, could be something else.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
It means that you don't qualify for Pre-Check on that specific flight.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
As you know, the TSA is all about making things unpredictable and random. Sometimes you'll get pre-check, other times you won't. Receiving it on the outbound doesn't mean you'll have it on the return. 0 just means you don't get to go through the pre-check lane. That's all. Could be random, could be something else.
Interesting. Thank you for the insight.

Up until this point, every roundtrip up until today that I have had where I received PreCheck on the outbound, I also received it on the return. I wonder if the same day change and the departure airport being DCA had something to do with it.

I wonder why they use 0 instead of 1 in some cases to distinguish PreCheck/no PreCheck.

Last edited by Hartmann; Oct 17, 2012 at 7:27 pm
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by home222
Sure is. Especially since those of us who are GE have been screened and interviewed face to face by the CBP and TSA-Pre is given to people who fly often with no face to face interviewing. And I'm sure much less crime background checking.

UAL helped me get TSA Pre only because they know I fly much with them. I was never interviewed by anyone. I am now GE and, honestly, are a bit concerned about travelers who receive the TSA Pre designation before GE.

In my opinion, no one should be TSA Pre without first being GE. Or, at least, the TSA should use the same face to face interview and background checks as CBP requries for GE membership.
You don't need the Global Entry interview because you get the PASSID as a result of the conditional approval for GE. It's likely that I am eligible due to my status with UA (the website allowed me to apply for it), but I also entered my PASSID.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Up until this point, every roundtrip up until today that I have had where I received PreCheck on the outbound, I also received it on the return. I wonder if the same day change and the departure airport being DCA had something to do with it.
I had a basic LGA-ORD-LGA r/t a few weeks back - didn't get it on the outbound (where it doesn't matter), but I did on the return (where it does, since ORD has the lane and all). So it definitely can vary.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

Try reprinting the boarding pass an hour later; sometimes PreCheck comes back after a flight change.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Try reprinting the boarding pass an hour later; sometimes PreCheck comes back after a flight change.
Seat changes too seem to cause PRECHECK to fall of the reservation for a period of time (I want to say approx 5 mins or so) and after refreshing my Mobile BP I was again PRECHECK eligible.

Dan
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dan1431
Seat changes too seem to cause PRECHECK to fall of the reservation for a period of time (I want to say approx 5 mins or so) and after refreshing my Mobile BP I was again PRECHECK eligible.

Dan
Did a seat change and refreshed, still get a zero.

Wish I would have checked-in to the original itinerary before same-day changing to see if I received PreCheck.

My luck at DCA is much lower than at IAH.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Did a seat change and refreshed, still get a zero.

Wish I would have checked-in to the original itinerary before same-day changing to see if I received PreCheck.
Then you can use that printed boarding pass to go through security theater, and the new one for the flight.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:52 am

DCA is 50/50 for me in general, but I always attributed that to being DCA with special rules because it is so close Washington, DC.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.