Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jackal
It won't, unless you're on separate tickets.
Some people report that it has.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 14940674
At IAD, if you fail the initial scan, you are sent to a special screening line dedicated to PreCheck rejects. We are trying to determine how the TSA can distinguish between eligible participants who were randomly denied and those who were never PreCheck participants.
... they don't.

I encountered this recently at BOS. The net-net is that you get on the pre-check line, and if you get one beep instead of 3:

a) the TSA agent yells at you for being an idiot and getting into "his" lane.
b) he sends you to the end of the 'regular' line.
c) If you're using a mobile BP, when you got to the head of the 'regular' line, you got sent back to the pre-check TSA agent because he's the only one with a BP scanner!

It was, by far, the most ridiculous, stupid, incomprehensible thing I've seen from TSA ... and that takes a lot.

I got the riot act from the TSA agent because I only got one beep even though I've used precheck previously. He basically called me a liar.

Putting an extra BP scanner at the beginning of the line (like in EWR) would solve the problem, but apparently BP scanners are a rare commodity at BOS.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
I'm flying YQR-DEN-TPA Friday. No preclearance at YQR, so I clear at DEN (I have GE so reasonably fast, plus we're the first international flight of the day which helps).

Officially Pre doesn't work with international itineraries, but I'm hoping it might consider my DEN-TPA segment to be domestic since I've cleared Customs domestically.

How do I find out? I understand there's a separate Pre lane from the normal Premier lane?
Unlikely you will qualify for Pre even though DEN-TPA is domestic since it's all on one itinerary. My last 2 Canadian itineraries have not worked (as expected). You should scan your bp using one of the barcode apps described upthread to make sure.

The Pre lane in DEN is on the south end of the main terminal. When you come out of customs (North end), go to the security area on the far side - not the one immediately outside of the customs arrival area. Go to your left towards the luggage store and the Pre lane entrance will be about halfway down next to the CLEAR kiosks.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Printed out my BP last night for my SEA-LAX flight this morning. Used the barcode reader to determine I had the 0 instead of the 3. Went back into the res and realized that my global entry number was not entered into my res (only in my profile). I added it, reprinted my BP and got the magic 3! Just breezed through SEA security this morning and now enjoying some coconut sprinkled munchkin donuts in the lounge.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by abaheti
Originally spouse+me on one PNR. I entered the traveler info. Split PNR. I verified the info. We are both Global Entry. I got three beeps, she got one beep.. I made sure her traveler info on the reservation matched her GE card (First Middle Last) -- but UA has her as FirstM Last. Am chalking it up to "random" checks?
My experience got me wondering... Since my wife got a "new" locator/record when the PNR split against our will, could that have messed up her chances? Her info was in the traveler spot on UA's website, but her new PNR was created fewer than 24 hours out.

Is there a minimum time needed for UA and TSA to communicate/coordinate records (ie: a batch process run every X hours)? Or is it real time when going to print your boarding pass? (IE: Are people who get the UA PNR split disadvantaged?)

Second question. I saw this article re: AA and Pre-Check and am wonder if there is a SHARES command sequence that might help UA flyers ensure the info has been transmitted? http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/helpful-...k-tonight.html

Last edited by abaheti; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:11 am Reason: added second question
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by abaheti
Is there a minimum time needed for UA and TSA to communicate/coordinate records (ie: a batch process run every X hours)? Or is it real time when going to print your boarding pass? (IE: Are people who get the UA PNR split disadvantaged?)
I'm not sure, but I got PreCheck on a UA ticket booked about 5 hours out. I did wait a couple of hours before doing mobile check-in just in case it required some time to sync up, but when I checked, I got the magic 3. I do have NEXUS.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:42 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by jackal
I'm not sure, but I got PreCheck on a UA ticket booked about 5 hours out. I did wait a couple of hours before doing mobile check-in just in case it required some time to sync up, but when I checked, I got the magic 3. I do have NEXUS.
It's near real time. Watched a friend add his PassID to an existing reservation and reprint the BP 5 minutes later and it had the 3.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:38 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glx
It's near real time.
It is real time.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver (Soon to be Gold), IHG Plat Ambassador, Global Entry
Advice for ORD terminal 1?

I am now pre-check and went through ORD terminal 1 a few weeks back. I did not see a seperate pre-check line so went through the premier line (only 5 minute wait). When I got to the front I got the beeps and was sent to the left into an empty bag screener and walked right through. Are there any pre-check only lines to bypass the premier line?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ChicagoLP
I am now pre-check and went through ORD terminal 1 a few weeks back. I did not see a seperate pre-check line so went through the premier line (only 5 minute wait). When I got to the front I got the beeps and was sent to the left into an empty bag screener and walked right through. Are there any pre-check only lines to bypass the premier line?
Welcome to FT ^

There's a sign right above the "Premier Access" signs for Pre-Check. The entrance is against the wall, on the left.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by busyexec331
Well, one Pre-Check location was open at DCA today -- the new Pre-Check at the US gates on the North Pier.
Working today as well.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Starman
So then how do they stop random folks who have never qualified for PreCheck or even applied for PreCheck from going to the PreCheck line, either by design or accident, being rejected, but then being shunted to the shorter line for the dedicated checkpoint?
PIT has this design. If you only get one beep you are routed to the regular scanners, but you have already bypassed the entire line.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, UA MM 1K, MR Titanium Lifetime
The Boston United Terminal A TSA-Pre this Monday morning at 5:30am was as long as the Premier Line. Terminal A Boston has the worst Premier/TSA Pre Check line I have ever seen. The fact that there is no way to pre-screen unless you have a scanner at the head of the line, means anyone can line up at the TSA-Pre and just be sent to the regular security line when they get the single beep.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bl4666
The Boston United Terminal A TSA-Pre this Monday morning at 5:30am was as long as the Premier Line. Terminal A Boston has the worst Premier/TSA Pre Check line I have ever seen. The fact that there is no way to pre-screen unless you have a scanner at the head of the line, means anyone can line up at the TSA-Pre and just be sent to the regular security line when they get the single beep.
It's an awful setup. The TSA agent I ran into was very rude and basically insulted everyone who got a single beep, calling them liars, telling them they don't know what precheck is, and making them go to the END of the regular line.

So, if you are precheck and get unlucky enough to get a single beep, you have to wait in BOTH the precheck and the regular line. AND get insulted by TSA to boot.

It was absolutely absurd.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver (Soon to be Gold), IHG Plat Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Welcome to FT ^

There's a sign right above the "Premier Access" signs for Pre-Check. The entrance is against the wall, on the left.
Perfect, thanks! I must have missed it last week. Have a bunch of international travel coming up in the next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.