Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:22 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
Mainland China.
Interesting.

Has anyone has it work to Canada?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ari
Interesting.

My last two trips to YYZ have all been '0' as expected.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
Mainland China.
OK, that's really interesting. The info I've seen is that Pre is not available on international itineraries because it requires cooperation of the other countries, which isn't happening, yet. Now, I figured eventually they would start working things out with individual countries, but, frankly, I would have expected China to be one of the last. Still, it is good to know that the possibility to get Pre on international trips is starting to emerge.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Ari
Interesting.

according to TSA in Denver, flights to Canada never get pre-check
Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:09 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michilander
OK, that's really interesting. The info I've seen is that Pre is not available on international itineraries because it requires cooperation of the other countries, which isn't happening, yet. Now, I figured eventually they would start working things out with individual countries, but, frankly, I would have expected China to be one of the last. Still, it is good to know that the possibility to get Pre on international trips is starting to emerge.
Perhaps PreCheck already meets China's security requirements for arriving flights, whatever they are, and no special agreement was necessary at all. That strikes me as more likely than an agreement.

I think Canada should allow NEXUS members to ge PreCheck to Canada; perhaps that will be allowed after 11/15.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The PreCheck lane at SEA checkpoint 3 closed around 8PM tonight, just before I arrived at the airport. I asked a TSO if there were formal hours, and he said it varied - they just don't have adequate staff to support it during off-peak hours.

I was bummed, of course. I have yet to experience the magic of PreCheck, and I've had the '3' on my boarding pass numerous times, just no opportunity to use it. Fortunately, the open lane closest to the PreCheck entrance wasn't actively using the scanner, so I didn't have to do the opt-out parade.

I'm flying out of DCA in a week, hopefully I'll get to finally experience the magic of pre-9/11 security once more!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: United 1k, Hawaiian Premier
I'm at 100% right now...2/2 at Honolulu the other day and Denver this morning. I love it! Not sure why I was so lucky this morning - there were 4 guys in front of me, none of whom cleared.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)
Originally Posted by mdtakamine
I'm at 100% right now...2/2 at Honolulu the other day and Denver this morning. I love it! Not sure why I was so lucky this morning - there were 4 guys in front of me, none of whom cleared.
When I went through HNL this past Mon (enroute from GUM to IAH) and had to recheck bags and go through security again, I didn't see the PreCheck lane. Nor a priority lane (at least not that I qualified for; there was some "Gold" non-airline lane)

I opted out of the full body scanner, and when I asked when they're going to get PreCheck at HNL, the TSA agent says we have one right there. But nothing looks open on that half of security. It's open, just not busy. Nice.
Put a sign out!

moral of the story: always ask if there is a PreCheck or airline elite lane if you don't see one. It might be there but hard to find, or it might be at a different security gate.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by poverty.jet.set
When I went through HNL this past Mon (enroute from GUM to IAH) and had to recheck bags and go through security again, I didn't see the PreCheck lane. Nor a priority lane (at least not that I qualified for; there was some "Gold" non-airline lane)

I opted out of the full body scanner, and when I asked when they're going to get PreCheck at HNL, the TSA agent says we have one right there. But nothing looks open on that half of security. It's open, just not busy. Nice.
Put a sign out!

moral of the story: always ask if there is a PreCheck or airline elite lane if you don't see one. It might be there but hard to find, or it might be at a different security gate.
You would have been SOL anyway. As mentioned up-thread, you will fail pre-check with an international itinerary.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by mrswirl
My last two trips to YYZ have all been '0' as expected.
Same for me - the only "fails" in the past 2 months (and that includes about a dozen flights).

Last edited by hans; Nov 2, 2012 at 10:59 am
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
You would have been SOL anyway. As mentioned up-thread, you will fail pre-check with an international itinerary.
Guam is not quite international...
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:24 am

Received pre-check on int'l itinerary

Last weekend I traveled ORD-LAX-NRT. I was traveling with a companion and we have both gotten pre-check recently (using PASSID on res). The connection in LAX was an overnight one. My companion had to check-in at the airport because he hadn't had his passport checked since 3/3.

For the ORD-LAX leg, we both received pre-check (and had verified the 3 on the barcode). We figured this was because it was an overnight connection. But for the LAX-NRT leg, something strange occurred. When we received the paper boarding pass at ORD, the LAX-NRT boarding pass came up 0. But once this was printed, as you may know, the mobile boarding pass is also available. And the MOBILE pass for LAX-NRT scanned with a 3.

The next morning at LAX, for our NRT flight, we used the mobile boarding pass and passed through pre-check with no issues.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Michilander
What 'cooperation'?

Since Pre doesn't involve no screening, merely 'expedited' screening (they can still see your laptop and LGAs in the bag, you'll still get pulled if you have a liter of liquid), then what 'international cooperation' is involved? There's no way other countries are are currently tracking who went through the NoS, who went through the WTMD, who went through a grope, who went through an expedited process - the assumption is that all processes equally result in someone who enters the sterile area as no threat to the flight.

The criteria are sketchy, but they include either the background check necessary to get GE or another trusted traveller card or an analysis of a frequent flyer's travel habits and destinations. That's all available at this end in the US - none of it involves 'cooperation' with other countries.

Further, outbound US pax are already subject to at least as much invasive screening, if not more, than any other country. Expedited screening means, among other things, that we're doing what almost everyone else is - allowing pax to keep their footwear on (unless it alarms).

I call BS. I can't see any way that 'Pre' on international itineraries involves some kind of 'cooperation' with other countries.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
They really make it hard to find the pre-check lane at LAX. I went to terminal 7 but couldnt find it anywhere. I ended up going through the regular security lane when i go tmy 3 beeps. Thankfully they were running WTMD only. It was a pain having to take everything out of my bag and the line was going so slow for how short the line was.

Originally Posted by mdtakamine
Not sure why I was so lucky this morning - there were 4 guys in front of me, none of whom cleared.
Right after go live I was running 0% on UA and 100% on AS. Now every trip i'm getting the 3. Too bad most have been through non-precheck airports
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by CDKing
They really make it hard to find the pre-check lane at LAX. I went to terminal 7 but couldnt find it anywhere. I ended up going through the regular security lane when i go tmy 3 beeps. Thankfully they were running WTMD only. It was a pain having to take everything out of my bag and the line was going so slow for how short the line was.

Right after go live I was running 0% on UA and 100% on AS. Now every trip i'm getting the 3. Too bad most have been through non-precheck airports
It's actually quite easy to find at LAX if you use the Premium Checkin area for elites in Terminal 6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.