Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
It's actually quite easy to find at LAX if you use the Premium Checkin area for elites in Terminal 6.
... or read the first post of this thread.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
They really make it hard to find the pre-check lane at LAX. I went to terminal 7 but couldnt find it anywhere.
Go to the Terminal 6 "Premium Check-In" lobby. After you enter, turn left and head for the security lines. On the right side, against the wall, you'll see a screener who will check your boarding pass for the 3 beeps. If you pass, you get to proceed down the pre-check line, if not you can slide over left one lane to the premium/elite security line, or I think you can also get into the regular security line by sliding a couple lanes to the left. If you pass, the TSA agent will then re-check for 3 beeps before letting you use the magic pre-9/11 lane.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
This thread is way too long - so I am hoping someone can simply answer this quick ? If you have several itineraries booked, then sometime after that get accepted in the Global Entry, and then go to United.com and enter your PASSID into your profile - does it update/affect the existing reservations automatically?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
If only the first post was updated when new airports have PreCheck become available...

Last edited by rob_flies_ua; Nov 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hawaiian Premier
Originally Posted by poverty.jet.set
When I went through HNL this past Mon (enroute from GUM to IAH) and had to recheck bags and go through security again, I didn't see the PreCheck lane. Nor a priority lane (at least not that I qualified for; there was some "Gold" non-airline lane)

I opted out of the full body scanner, and when I asked when they're going to get PreCheck at HNL, the TSA agent says we have one right there. But nothing looks open on that half of security. It's open, just not busy. Nice.
Put a sign out!

moral of the story: always ask if there is a PreCheck or airline elite lane if you don't see one. It might be there but hard to find, or it might be at a different security gate.

The precheck line wasn't easy to find at HNL, though I knew it was there based on the UA website. Being a local Hawaii guy, I just asked the TSA guy, "Eh, brah, where's da precheck?" They directed me to the center of the terminal, near lobby 5 or so. In hindsight, I'm not sure if the 5 minute walk down there is worth the trip - I guess it's a gamble if you even make it through or not. The next time I fly, unless it's crazy busy, I'll just stick to my usual Gold Lane flying out of HNL (you can use this if you're United elite).

Aloha,
Matt
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by compwhiz
This thread is way too long - so I am hoping someone can simply answer this quick ? If you have several itineraries booked, then sometime after that get accepted in the Global Entry, and then go to United.com and enter your PASSID into your profile - does it update/affect the existing reservations automatically?
I had quite a few reservations in the pipeline before I obtained PreCheck and I haven't had any issues using the expedited check-in when I actually flew them.

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
If only the first post was updated when new airports had PreCheck become available...
Have you sent a note to the member who is kindly maintaining the first post with any updated information?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I should have double checked the thread. I thought that it was odd that precheck line ws supposed to be in a different terminal than UA Premier. should have known it would be between
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:36 pm

It would be nice if they opened a PreCheck lane in T6; my flight to IAD a few days ago departed from Gate 62 and it would have been nice to speed through the T6 checkpoint.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
It would be nice if they opened a PreCheck lane in T6; my flight to IAD a few days ago departed from Gate 62 and it would have been nice to speed through the T6 checkpoint.
It would also be nice to have a more civilized security line to stand in (i.e. T-6), in the event that you do not get the 3 beeps. T-7 security lines are dreadful. Before PreCheck went into effect at LAX, I was using the T-6 security line when my flights left from T-7, just to avoid that bottleneck at the T-7 checkpoint.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Have you sent a note to the member who is kindly maintaining the first post with any updated information?
He's the one who first posted that PIT PreCheck was up and running so I figured he already knew
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:28 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by compwhiz
No, you must update each existing reservation manually. In the reservation, go to "Edit Passenger Information". Stick in your PASS ID and make sure your names match exactly. Updating your profile will add it to future reservations only.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by chollie
What 'cooperation'?

Since Pre doesn't involve no screening, merely 'expedited' screening (they can still see your laptop and LGAs in the bag, you'll still get pulled if you have a liter of liquid), then what 'international cooperation' is involved? There's no way other countries are are currently tracking who went through the NoS, who went through the WTMD, who went through a grope, who went through an expedited process - the assumption is that all processes equally result in someone who enters the sterile area as no threat to the flight.

The criteria are sketchy, but they include either the background check necessary to get GE or another trusted traveller card or an analysis of a frequent flyer's travel habits and destinations. That's all available at this end in the US - none of it involves 'cooperation' with other countries.

Further, outbound US pax are already subject to at least as much invasive screening, if not more, than any other country. Expedited screening means, among other things, that we're doing what almost everyone else is - allowing pax to keep their footwear on (unless it alarms).

I call BS. I can't see any way that 'Pre' on international itineraries involves some kind of 'cooperation' with other countries.
Now, I admit I have not read every post on Pre, but I have followed a few threads all along and MBS PremExec is the first poster I have seen that claimed to get Pre on an i'ntl trip. There are many posts asserting that you don't get it on i'ntl and a couple that claim they were told by TSOs that it was because the other country would not allow entry to pax who received less rigorous screening. In all the posts I've read this is the only explanation anyone has offered. If you have another, let's hear it.

If you are suggesting, however, that country A doesn't pay attention to what country B does in screening air passengers, I have to disagree. At the very least the US pays attention to what other countries do, otherwise, why have I had to go through so many US bound-only secondary screenings in foreign airports? When I flew TLV-EWR last year I was advised at TLV that I could not take any liquids other than the 3-1-1 bag onboard, not even stuff bought post-security or at Duty Free. The reason was that Israel does not make you dump your water bottle to get through security. You just send it through the xray with everything else. So, the airline had to impose the TSA level rule on liquids during the boarding process.

I agree that I have not been to another country that does a more intrusive security scan than the current US default, but I have been to countries that do more than what you get in Pre. And I can believe there are countries who would impose higher standards on pax from the US because the US requires higher standards for pax to the US, just like some countries started fingerprinting US citizens after the US started fingerprinting all foreign travelers.

We obviously have different perspectives on the interactions between the various countries' airline security processes, and I am more than willing to discuss different possibilities, but please don't suggest I am making things up just because you disagree with what I have read elsewhere.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:25 pm

Just made it through LAX again. So far i'm 2/2 at LAX and 1/2 at EWR.

It seems that many people are still confused that it is random and they will not be selected everytime.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Last post has not been my experience through TLV..when you hit EWR you have to enter CBP but then get sent outside security, where you are 3-1-1 screened per US regs..
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Michilander
We obviously have different perspectives on the interactions between the various countries' airline security processes, and I am more than willing to discuss different possibilities, but please don't suggest I am making things up just because you disagree with what I have read elsewhere.
You took my post as a personal attack on you.

It was not. I was in no way suggesting you are 'making things up'.

I was responding to the nonsense I've heard before elsewhere, that the US will get pushback from other nations if the US uses expedited screening on some carefully vetted pax.

I travel enough to be well aware of the special requirements other nations sometimes impose on US-bound pax at the behest of TSA.

I have yet to hear anything other than a vague, completely unsourced and unsubstantiated rumor as to why 'cooperation' from other nations might be required before they will accept pax who have undergone 'expedited' screening - or what exactly that 'cooperation' must be.

The US demands flight and pax information (and fingerprints) from foreign pax and governments. Other governments aren't initiating these kinds of demands on US citizens. To suggest that a foreign government has demanded US government assurances that all pax must receive a 'full' security screening (including things like shoe removal for certain age groups only), outerwear removal (certain age groups only), laptop, LGA and belt removal is ridiculous. And these are the only potential differences between 'expedited' screening and ordinary screening.

Recently, a change was made to allow pax over 75 and under 12 to keep footwear and light jackets on. These are also two of the benefits of 'expedited' screening, yet there's been no suggestion that pax over 75 or under 12 must keep shoes and outwear on when getting screened before flying an international itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.