Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by lax2010
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
Not sure exactly with you but I have Global Entry and since getting it I have yet to not get Pre Check. Have you tried putting your pre check number on your res?
Did you mean the PASS ID from the Global Entry card?
Not sure what its called exactly. Ill look when I get a chance.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
To show that you have precheck.
That doesn't make any sense. What's the point of having a checkbox if checking it does not do anything.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...nTraveler.aspx
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
That doesn't make any sense. What's the point of having a checkbox if checking it does not do anything.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...nTraveler.aspx
All that check box does is indicate you would LIKE to participate and allows UA to send your information to the TSA. It in no way guarantees the TSA will accept you. You still need to qualify for it and be accepted by the TSA before you get it. If not then what is the point. Any joe schmo terrorist would check the box and be allowed to clear screening without all the real screening. You have to be accepted into the program by the TSA. Even having one of the other things like NEXUS or Global Entry does not guarantee you will be accepted into TSA Precheck.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Even having one of the other things like NEXUS or Global Entry does not guarantee you will be accepted into TSA Precheck.
If you are a US citizen (or a Canadian citizen after 11/15), having a TT membership such as GE or NEXUS will grant you automatic entrance into PreCheck. You may not be selected for expedited screening on every flight, but you are guaranteed to become a participant.

treeleaf20, you may want to consult the main UA PreCheck thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ravellers.html
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
All that check box does is indicate you would LIKE to participate and allows UA to send your information to the TSA. It in no way guarantees the TSA will accept you. You still need to qualify for it and be accepted by the TSA before you get it. If not then what is the point. Any joe schmo terrorist would check the box and be allowed to clear screening without all the real screening. You have to be accepted into the program by the TSA. Even having one of the other things like NEXUS or Global Entry does not guarantee you will be accepted into TSA Precheck.
Then how are you supposed to know (besides decoding the bar code) if you're accepted into the program?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:44 pm

Then how are you supposed to know (besides decoding the bar code) if you're accepted into the program?
Both UA and the TSA say that you won't be told if you are accepted. Trial and error is the only method of knowing.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
I have Global Entry, entered all of my information properly into my UA profile, and haven't been selected on any of my 3 trips from IAH to DCA. The upside is that DCA has a separate Pre lane, which I always go in and it is always faster even if I'm shunted to a normal screening. Likewise, at IAH terminal C, if your Pre access doesn't work, you still get to go through the elite security line (though I already have access to that).

Honestly, given the upstairs IAH Terminal E check-in (the one by the parking garage) rarely has a line, one is better off using that instead
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are not supposed to know when and if you will get the 3 beeps. of course savvy FTers figured out how to read the barcode for the 3 that says yes. If you checked the box, or are GE/NEXUS/whatever and applied for TSA precheck and not getting it at airports that have it means one of a few things it could be. Your name doesn't match, you weren't accepted into the program or you are just unlucky.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 2MM, LT RCC
Name Inconsistencies: Nexus Card/Passport/Mileage Plus

Yea, I just got my Nexus card! But, it does not contain the suffix to my name "Jr." although the application and Passport (albeit as part of the surname) does and it shows my Given Name as "first middle" while Mileage Plus has me as "first" "middle" and has the suffix. Am I going to get dinged whenever I attempt to use this due to these discrepancies?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mkasperzak
Yea, I just got my Nexus card! But, it does not contain the suffix to my name "Jr." although the application and Passport (albeit as part of the surname) does and it shows my Given Name as "first middle" while Mileage Plus has me as "first" "middle" and has the suffix. Am I going to get dinged whenever I attempt to use this due to these discrepancies?
All that matters is the name on your NEXUS and the name you give the airline for TSA purposes. MP name, ticketed name, etc don't have to be exact matches.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by treeleaf20
All,
In my United profile I have the checkbox checked to say that I'd like to participate in the TSA pre-check program. I'm a platinum member with United and soon to be a 1K this year. Whenever I try and go through the TSA Pre lane at O'hare (my home airport) or any other airport I never get selected. Does anyone know how to check if you've been selected into the program or have anymore information about what this process is?

Thanks!
You're doing everything you can to see if you've been selected, and the answer is, for whatever reason, you haven't. Note that if there is an international flight on the itinerary, you will always get sent to the regular lane.

Did UA invite you to the precheck program? Do you have something else that qualifies you for precheck like global entry? Just checking the box does not get you precheck.
You don't need to be "invited" - my wife wasn't, and she checked the box in her profile and has gotten 3 beeps several times. The box, as mentioned somewhere before, tells UA they can send the TSA the info., and they determine whether you get it for that flight or not. I suspect UA invited the level of travelers that are most likely to get it, but that doesn't mean there are others who won't. They can check the box and find out, too.

Originally Posted by mduell
All that matters is the name on your NEXUS and the name you give the airline for TSA purposes. MP name, ticketed name, etc don't have to be exact matches.
To be clear, the name being referred to is the name in your traveller info on your profile/itinerary. For future itin's, you can make changes by going to manage profile, then traveller ID, and then edit it there. This will use it for future reservations. To have it change for any current reservations on your profile, you'll have to go into (each) reservation, click to see details, and then click on the edit traveler info. link toward the bottom of the page.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
At IAD barely anyone in the lines as far as the 2x I've done it. SFO will probably be a whole 'nother story. Any idea where the lanes will be located?
Does anyone out there know where the SFO lane will be??
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
First for me in the two dozen or so times being through pre-check: I got the three beeps but the agent said it read "invalid" told me to go back and get another BP or get into the regular line (in a nice enough-manner). This was during a lull at LAX so opted for the later instead of the long-ish walk back to the counter. Weird.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by MrMarket
First for me in the two dozen or so times being through pre-check: I got the three beeps but the agent said it read "invalid" told me to go back and get another BP or get into the regular line (in a nice enough-manner). This was during a lull at LAX so opted for the later instead of the long-ish walk back to the counter. Weird.
How did you print those BPs?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 14940674
How did you print those BPs?
Now that you mention it, that was the only time I've ever done the print at home version of the BP (I think via an e-mailed PDF). Does it only work with card-stock BPs/mobile? If that's the case I'll just use my mobile BP, which I tend not to just because my cell phone is too often close to dead on the tail-end of a travel work day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.