Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

TSA Pre-Check for United Passengers - Details & FAQs

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you may no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes do not feature full body scanners

Travelers Eligible for Pre-Check

United offers MileagePlus members the opportunity to sign-up for Pre-Check access. To do so, you must sign in to your MileagePlus account on United.com, and click the button to “Opt-In” for Pre-Check. You will not receive any communication from United about your status in the program.

If you are a member of one of the government Trusted Traveler Programs (Global Entry, NEXUS, or Sentri), enter your PASS ID in the box provided on United.com. By doing so, you can greatly increase your chances of receiving Pre-Check access on qualifying itineraries.

Your PASS ID can be found either on your program card, or in your Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) account.

Having Problems Utilizing Pre-Check?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting Pre-Check clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to GOES.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES (the Global Online Enrollment System, which you use to sign up for a Trusted Traveler Program) account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly, when it "decides" who can and can not have access.

Additionally, Pre-Check is not supposed to support itineraries with an international destination. This means that if you fly MCI-ORD-HKG-ORD-MCI, you likely will not get Pre-Check access upon your return to the US, and your onward flights. There have been rumors that the TSA is working on allowing access for domestic flights after returning to the country, although nothing has been confirmed.

Airports with Pre-Check Lanes

Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • The Pre-Check lane is located at Checkpoint D in the Main Terminal

Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Pre-Check access is located in Terminal A (PMCO departures)
  • The Pre-Check & Elite Line share the same entrance, which means that if you aren't an elite, you'll have to inform the agent at the front of the line that you are a Global Entry, etc, member

Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Pre-Check access is located at the security checkpoint closest to the United ticket counters (Main Terminal, Checkpoint B)

Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • The Pre-Check lane is on the far left wall of the Premier Access Checkpint in Terminal 1
  • An airport employee at the front of the lane will scan your boarding pass to detemine if you are eligible for Pre-Check access
  • Pre-Check closes at 6:00pm

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
  • Pre-Check is located at the Main Checkpoint in Terminal 3

Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Open from 4:30am-8:00pm, daily
  • South Checkpoint ONLY, next to the CLEAR kiosks

George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • The Pre-Check lane is located at the Premier Access South Checkpoint - Terminal C only

Honolulu International Airport (HNL)
  • Pre-Check lane is located at checkpoint 3

John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Rumored to come online by the end of the year in T7

John Wayne Airport (SNA)
  • Pre-Check is located in Terminal A

Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • The Pre-Check lane is located in Terminal 7
  • Enter from the Elite Check-In Lobby in Terminal 6, then walk to the checkpoint between Terminals 6 & 7.
  • Pre-Check lane is on the far right side

Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport (SJU)
  • The Pre-Check lane is located in the Main Terminal at Checkpoint 4

McCarran Las Vegas Airport (LAS)
  • Pre-Check access is located next to the Premier Access/First Class lane at Terminal 1
  • Airport employee at the entrance will scan your boarding pass to determine if you are eligible for access

Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • The Pre-Check lane is located at Checkpoint 4, near Door 3
  • If you're facing the UA ticket counter, it's the first checkpoint to the left

Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Will be located at the C3 checkpoint
  • Lanes from left to right are: Pre-Check, GS, 1K/F/C, everybody else
  • Nude-O-Scopes have been removed
  • Pre-Check closes at 7pm

Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Pre-Check is now live for AA/UA/US passengers at the Gates 1-59 checkpoint
  • The lane opens daily at 4:30am, and is located on the left side of the checkpoint, next to the CLEAR kiosks.

Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • The Pre-Check lane is located at the main checkpoint

Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • The Pre-Check lane is located on the far left of the ABC Checkpoint
  • Lane shared with the First Class/Premier line
  • After clearing security head to right towards C terminal. The concourse connector is before gate C2 on the right. It will bring you to the D/E side where UA is.

Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
  • United travelers can access the Pre-Check lane in Terminal C (South Pier). The entrance is located on the far right of the checkpoint.

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • The Pre-Check lane is located at Checkpoint 3 (Center)

San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • The Pre-Check lane for UA is located at the elite checkpoint in T3, along the far left wall of the checkpoint.
  • Pre-Check closes at 6pm, along with the rest of the elite checkpoint

Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC)
  • The Pre-Check lane is located at the South Checkpoint

Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Pre-Check is located in the center of the departures level in the main terminal (near Harry's Tap Room)
  • If you do not get the three beeps for Pre-Check, you can still utilize the screening lanes adjacent to the Pre-Check lane. They are currently WTMD only.

Airports Scheduled to Come Online in 2012
  • Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • Indianapolis International Airport (IND)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
  • Lambert-St. Louis International Airport (STL)
  • Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)

http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fil...11-13-2012.pdf

Moderator's Note - In order to keep this busy thread of use to UA travellers, please hold meta-discussion about the PreCheck program in the Pratical Travel Issues and Safety Issues forum. Posts in this thread that are more topical to Travel Safety will be moved.

Thank you.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Dec 19, 2012 at 10:49 pm Reason: Added SNA
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100

I see the option to enter a PASS ID under my profile on continental.com, but don't see such an option on united.com
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
UA does not participate in PreCheck yet. CO is collecting PASS IDs now (My Account > Profile > TSA Pre-screening Program) but isn't doing anything with them yet.

My guess is that, since the new UA is abandoning the current UA PSS in favor of the CO system they didn't bother building a way to enter the PASS ID into the current UA system. I also don't think they will begin participating in PreCheck until after the PSS switch (Mar 3). So, I think entering it in the CO system is what to do for now.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
TSA PreCheck Program Coming to UA & US @ ORD

TSA announced today that the TSA PreCheck program is coming to ORD for UA, US & AS later this year! http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2012/0208.shtm

Press release lists 28 airports that will get TSA PreCheck during 2012 including DCA, DEN, EWR, IAD, IAH, JFK, LGA, SEA and SFO.

Here's an excerpt:

Eligible participants include certain frequent flyers from participating airlines as well as members of Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs (Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS) who are U.S. citizens and fly on a participating airline. Individuals interested in participating in the pilot can apply via Global Entry at http://www.globalentry.gov/.

If TSA determines a passenger is eligible for expedited screening following the TSA Pre✓™ vetting process, information will be embedded in the barcode of the passenger’s boarding pass. TSA will read the barcode at the security checkpoint and then may refer the passenger to a TSA Pre✓™ lane, where they will undergo expedited screening, which could include no longer removing the following items:

Shoes
3-1-1 compliant bag from carry-on
Laptop from bag
Light outerwear/jacket
Belt

TSA will always incorporate random and unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no individual will be guaranteed expedited screening. As part of the agency’s risk-based security initiative, TSA is currently testing several other screening initiatives, including initiatives designed to provide positive ID verification for airline pilots and the use of expanded behavior detection techniques.

This combined with UA paying the Global Entry fee for Plats, 1Ks & GSs is a change I really like!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SWA
That would be very good - joining the Trusted Traveler program was pretty painless. Just wish that CMH would be part of the program - my home airport, with security hassles far larger than its small size would suggest!

Still can't figure out why it has taken 10++ years to get this program moving.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i just wish UA would hurry and start the reimbursement program for the GE application so i can go do this...
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Fantastic news. Can't wait to have it at EWR. The Elite lines are a longer than the non-Elite lines at times. I wonder if there will be a separate lane or if they'll just add the PreCheck passengers into the crew/employee lane?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Fantastic news. Can't wait to have it at EWR. The Elite lines are a longer than the non-Elite lines at times. I wonder if there will be a separate lane or if they'll just add the PreCheck passengers into the crew/employee lane?
yeah the C3 checkpoint is obnoxious. everyone and their pets at EWR is an elite. i wish they would just open up all the lanes there, it would help instead of having half the lanes closed. i kind of wish they would make more lanes there but i wouldn't know where to put them...
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Any news on when this will be coming to EWR? And if I'm already GE, do I need to do anything about enrolling? (I filled out some pre-reserve thing CO.com a while back as a CO elite, but never heard more.)
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
About time that ORD is getting added to the list. As far as SFO, maybe they'll use the old GM checkpoint that is next to the CO counters?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Any news on when this will be coming to EWR?
".....later this year." "...throughout 2012."
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Is there a list of which airlines are participating at which airports, or is it any of the participating airlines at any of the airports?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
I'm sure we'll never find out, but it would be interesting to know what criteria were applied to determine this list.

Given the participating airlines, the absence of CLE is notable. Sadly, it may be the only hub of ANY legacy airline that would be left out, which sort of says something about UACO's "commitment" to the hub here... Even CVG and PIT made the list, and those are both essentially "focus cities" for their respective carriers at this point.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDProf
Is there a list of which airlines are participating at which airports, or is it any of the participating airlines at any of the airports?
This is the current list:

Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: VAG
Let me guess -- dirty foreigners like me will never be eligible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.