Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Rec'd the e-mail as well and even tho I opted in on the PMCO site, I submitted this one as well
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by flitcraft
So far just Chicago and Newark, according to the email. Pretty small potatoes, compared with other airlines. If that's all you get, why bother? And if I can't use Pre-check when I fly other airlines or other airports, it's not that attractive to me.

If you sign up for Global Entry, though, I think you can get Precheck eligibility across all airlines currently in the program, and more as they roll out. Now that UA's elite benefits have been so watered down, I prefer not to limit my choices to UA these days.
If you fly internationally with any regularity, GE is a huge benefit. I have been a GE member for four years and it has saved me significant amounts of time when returning to the US.

It looks like by the end of 2012 or early 2013, PreCheck will be in place at most major airports nationwide for all the big carriers.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
What information does precheck require?

Got the precheck invite from UA today. But before I start filling out forms for approval, I'd like to know exactly what information and anything else TSA wants. Google wasn't my friend on this quest.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by linsj
Got the precheck invite from UA today. But before I start filling out forms for approval, I'd like to know exactly what information and anything else TSA wants. Google wasn't my friend on this quest.
to get trusted traveller number, you will need to provide essentially the same as a passport application.

recent addresses, recent employment history, driver license info (there is alternatives to this), recent international travel, criminal history, issues in the past on USA entry (immigration / customs, ..).

Believe trusted traveller is not required but would suspect the info requested w/o a trusted traveller id is likely to be similar.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
With Global Services getting their own dedicated area soon in Terminal C
Could you expand on this? Assume you are referring to iah?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Citizenship required for invitation?

Is citizenship a requirement if you receive the UA invitation?

From this on post #3, which is also currently on the TSA website:
Eligible participants include certain frequent flyers from participating airlines as well as members of Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs (Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS) who are U.S. citizens and fly on a participating airline. Individuals interested in participating in the pilot can apply via Global Entry at http://www.globalentry.gov/.
It seems to me that citizenship is only required if you apply via a Trusted Traveler program, but not if you receive the invitation from the airline.

The TSA website also states that
Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines and US Airways are contacting eligible frequent flyers with an invitation to opt-in.
So, supposedly, if one has been contacted by UA then one is eligible, even without being a citizen. But since nobody trusts UA IT these days, could anyone confirm whether foreigners are indeed eligible if they received the invitation?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, cattle-class with many others
Originally Posted by HitAndRun
Today they kicked off Pre program in SEA. United is not participating yet. The premier access security line was split with regular premier passengers split into 2 lines. Regular on left and Pre on right. The Pre passengers had a dedicated TSA agent checking IDs and a dedicated security screening line. Pre passengers were not radiated with X-rays but simply passed through metal detector. Regular premiers were irradiated with X-rays. In effect premier passengers now only have 1 TSA agent checking ID and 2 security lines versus 2 agents checking I'd and 3 security lines. I wonder what the Monday morning free for all will look like.

The SEA premier line was never great due to elite flyers from aa, Alaska and several other airlines using the same line. Monday mornings the premier line is often longer than the regular line and to make it worse, TSA agents feed regular passengers into it.
Sad to hear. I missed this change by two days I guess....ironically last Monday morning I found myself thinking that the SEA North Premium line was FINALLY working reasonably well after over a year of pretty poor operation (including the old central premium line for pre-merger CO flights, which the TSA screwed up ~18 months ago or so when they started sharing a screening agent with the family line). I don't understand why the CO or UA station chiefs didn't/don't pitch a fit over this....maybe their hands are tied by an agency of our otherwise-benevolent, efficient, and customer-service-oriented federal bureaucracy.....but I have to believe they could apply more-effective influence than they seem to. Or maybe they are just being lazy and waiting for the great airline gate shuffle that the SEATAC authority has planned for next (?) year, and hoping for the best.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Got an email invite as shown below, but when I go to the links it just makes me check a box saying I'm interested. There's no application. Another post-merger screw-up

Faster, easier security screening with the TSA pre-screening program. . .
. . . .
United and MileagePlus are partnering with the Transportation Security Administration to launch expedited security screening at several airports. We invite you to.apply for this new TSA program, which could save you valuable.time.
. Apply now. .

. .

For faster, easier travel, apply today for the TSA.pre-screening.program.
This new TSA program is being rolled out at participating U.S. airports, starting with Chicago O’Hare and Newark Liberty later this year. If you qualify, you may experience screening benefits that provide you added convenience and save you time at the airport.

You may no longer be required to remove:
• Shoes, belt, jacket
• Liquids in 3-1-1 compliant bags from carry-on luggage
• Laptop from bag for separate screening
. Apply now . .
. Please note that login is required.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by ULMFlyer
Is citizenship a requirement if you receive the UA invitation?

From this on post #3, which is also currently on the TSA website:

It seems to me that citizenship is only required if you apply via a Trusted Traveler program, but not if you receive the invitation from the airline.

The TSA website also states that

So, supposedly, if one has been contacted by UA then one is eligible, even without being a citizen. But since nobody trusts UA IT these days, could anyone confirm whether foreigners are indeed eligible if they received the invitation?
Citizenship is not required even for the trusted traveler program.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by snowed
Quick question, I applied for Global Entry and have the interview scheduled in 2 weeks. Should I wait and sign up once I have that PASS ID number? Or just opt-in now and provide that later?
In order to apply on the UA site you fill out a quick form a check box and a blank space to enter. Your PASS ID number. I think you only receive it after your Global Entry is finalized. I you made my Global Entry app online and when I go back to my GE login my PASS ID number is there.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Do I wait to apply for TSA pre-screening while Global Entry is being processed?

I have received provisional approval for Global Entry. Interview is in laye May. Should I wait till I get that approved and then ask for TSA pre-screening or should I gp ahead and apply?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:06 pm

Do you fly through EWR or ORD on a regular basis?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by denuaflier
I have received provisional approval for Global Entry. Interview is in laye May. Should I wait till I get that approved and then ask for TSA pre-screening or should I gp ahead and apply?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
UA isn't participating yet; they say it will be "later this year." So you might as well wait until you have your Trusted Traveler Number that can be entered into the UA Website for when they do. Remember - the airline you are flying must be participating - and you must be flying them from a participating airport - for you to be eligible on any particular security screening.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:08 pm

The two are independent so, if you got the email invite from UA, go ahead and accept. You can add your GE number once you're approved.

The unproved urban legend is that having GE improves one's chances for PreCheck.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wxguy
UA isn't participating yet; they say it will be "later this year." So you might as well wait until you have your Trusted Traveler Number that can be entered into the UA Website for when they do. Remember - the airline you are flying must be participating - and you must be flying them from a participating airport - for you to be eligible on any particular security screening.
There's some (targeted) participation at UA - received this today from UA:

Faster, easier security screening with the TSA pre-screening program.

United and MileagePlus are partnering with the Transportation Security Administration to launch expedited security screening at several airports. We invite you to apply for this new TSA program, which could save you valuable time.

Apply now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.