Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Looking forward to the day that Pre-Check is at every US airport, has a high success rate (in terms of being accepted, versus "randomly" not given Pre-Check), is allowed on international itins, and you can bring liquid with you!
I was going to ask a bunch of questions about this programme, but now I have many fewer questions when you mention that it is not allowed on international itineraries It also sounds like evil foreigners like me might not be eligible.

So I guess my only question is, if I check that little box at the United web site, what information on me will they share? (Assuming anyone here knows.) Wouldn't want some of those people who board first coming to check me out.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
TSA agent today told me Pre-check for UA in SEA was starting in 3 days.
Wow! Really?

I fly to NRT on Tuesday...I will definitely check it out .
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by andyh64000
Wow! Really?

I fly to NRT on Tuesday...I will definitely check it out .
Let me know. I was on the NRT flight on Monday.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:06 am

It won't work for the Narita flight. You can only get "LLLL" on a domestic itinerary. I'm flying on United out of Seattle on a domestic itinerary on the 15th, so I'll be delighted if PreCheck is available.

The return is out of Newark, and I don't think they're getting PreCheck until September.

The next trip (on the the 30th) is on Air Canada. Same checkpoint two weeks later, but I'll be considered in need of greater scrutiny because I'm going to Toronto. I'm still scratching my head.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Mats
It won't work for the Narita flight. You can only get "LLLL" on a domestic itinerary.
My assumption is, since there is no second security check, if you fly an intra-US segment, followed by an international segment, you can't get LLLL. But is it possible if you are arriving on an international flight, and continuing within the US? This would be the main benefit for me (if it is possible).
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by StratMaster
My assumption is, since there is no second security check, if you fly an intra-US segment, followed by an international segment, you can't get LLLL. But is it possible if you are arriving on an international flight, and continuing within the US? This would be the main benefit for me (if it is possible).
On a domestic to international itin, you could book them separately, and get Pre-Check, and then not have to re-clear again. Probably not worth it though
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:51 am

I had thought about two separate PNRs: one that is PreCheck eligible, and one for the international segments. But if there are IRROPS, you start running into protection issues. Although Continental and United have both been really good about honoring an onward PNR, it's like asking for trouble.

I just did this on Sunday: two separate UA PNRs. It took the agent perhaps 15 minutes to check my bag. She had to hand-write the tag.

I know that this is a massive leap of faith, but I do think that PreCheck will expand to international flying if they want 75% of people to travel through it.

Likewise, I think they'll probably reduce the "random" selection to the regular line. Although I do so see the logic behind randomness, I think they're overdoing it.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-XP
Entered my global entry number into the Unted traveler profile.

I fly out of LAS and when you go through the premier line they always ask what airline. I say United and they usually pass you on, not allowing access to TSE pre check. This morning they said, hold on, let's run your boarding pass.

Lo and behold, I was granted access! The TSA agent said I was the second United person to get access and that it's been operational for two days.

Yay! Was awesome. No taking off belt, no taking off shoes, no taking out liquids. Was so nice.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
On a domestic to international itin, you could book them separately, and get Pre-Check, and then not have to re-clear again. Probably not worth it though
Hadn't thought of that. Sometimes I split my itineraries for other reasons, this could be the one that puts it over the top.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:20 am

SEA worked today as well .
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
I must have missed by one day. I flew out of LAS yesterday. I asked the TSA agent at pre-check when UA would be in the program at LAS and she said maybe today but when she scanned my boarding pass it didn't work.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by okrogius
SEA worked today as well .
Hey great news! Must be a UA "soft launch" since UA hasn't touted it anywhere yet.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:52 am

So the way this works is if you get an "LLLL" on your boarding pass, you drew the winning ticket? Could you edit "LLLL" into the PDF on an on-line check in?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
So the way this works is if you get an "LLLL" on your boarding pass, you drew the winning ticket? Could you edit "LLLL" into the PDF on an on-line check in?
It wouldn't make any difference...and in fact you might get yourself added to a list you don't want to be on when you're caught!

All BP's are scanned by the TSA ID checker before final access to the screening... a fake BP won't work.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I think it comes up when you scan the BP not printed on it. I always use my phone so I don't know for sure but that is my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.