Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
BWI Mid-November

The recent exchange prompted me to search for info on Pre-Check coming to my home airport, BWI. Found this article

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/1...flyers-at-bwi/

Next trip is scheduled for early December. O boy, o boy, o boy.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tasnam
Actually the "thumbs up" symbol in my post is the < carrot vertical of Shift "6" but it turns out that it makes a thumbs up. ^ <---see it does it again.

So my code is:

0E016 {new line}
3<160..... <-carrot - is this the magic 3?
IME, yes, that's the magic 3.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Starman
After endless permutations, I think that I've figured out that the name on the ticket (and thus on the boarding pass) is irrelevant -- what has to match exactly is the GE name and the TSA Secure Flight data that can be adjusted via UA's "edit traveler info" line in the reservation.
I'm trying to figure out what the "magic" is for those of us who don't have any form of Trusted Traveler membership but were invited only based on UA elite status.

Have yet to receive LLL regardless of which permutation I give, with or without middle name, initial, title, anything...

Then again, what is it really matching against in that scenario?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: United Platinum, American EXP
First time TSA-Pre at DEN today. I went curbside to boarding in a little under ten minutes.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:45 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I'm trying to figure out what the "magic" is for those of us who don't have any form of Trusted Traveler membership but were invited only based on UA elite status.
We should probably start a thread dedicated to that.

Have yet to receive LLL regardless of which permutation I give, with or without middle name, initial, title, anything...
If you aren't a member of a Trusted Traveler program, playing with your name isn't going to help much with LLL.

Then again, what is it really matching against in that scenario?
And that's why changing your name doesn't help unless it is to match a Trusted Traveler membership. What is it matching against (if you don't have a Trusted Traveler membership)? Probably the whole TSDB.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
When I went through the line at SFO last week, they said PreCheck would be implemented there next month. I certainly hope so. It is about time.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have reas this entire thread looking for answers as to why i have NEVER BEEN selected for Pre-check. I fly a lot - 4 times in the last 4 weeks - on Delta, American and United for the most part. I have has GE for about 6 mo the and have NEVER been selected.

I have entered my Pass ID on all my profiles and have called the airlines with each reservation to ask if my number is on my reservation.

Delta and American each say they can see my number on my reservation and United says they have no such capability.

I still stand in the Pre-Check line with my GE card in hand but the TSA guy always tells me that GE and Pre Check are 2 different programs.

I have read numerous things that say if you have GE you are automatically in.

Does anyone have any ideas for me as to why I am never selected?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
I have reas this entire thread looking for answers as to why i have NEVER BEEN selected for Pre-check. I fly a lot - 4 times in the last 4 weeks - on Delta, American and United for the most part. I have has GE for about 6 mo the and have NEVER been selected.

I have entered my Pass ID on all my profiles and have called the airlines with each reservation to ask if my number is on my reservation.

Delta and American each say they can see my number on my reservation and United says they have no such capability.

I still stand in the Pre-Check line with my GE card in hand but the TSA guy always tells me that GE and Pre Check are 2 different programs.

I have read numerous things that say if you have GE you are automatically in.

Does anyone have any ideas for me as to why I am never selected?
Having GE makes you eligible for Pre-Check; nothing guarantees that you will get selected for any particular flight.

Still, if you do have your PASS ID in your profiles and are not getting selected then the first thing you should check is to make sure your name, as it is passed to TSA for each reservation, exactly matches the way it is listed on your GE card. If, for instance, your GE card has your full middle name, but you only put in your middle initial when you fill out the TSA info you will not get selected.

Don't know why United told you they can't do it. I have my PASS ID in my MP profile and I have gotten the three beeps for the last several flights. Just haven't been through an airport that has stood up Pre-Check, yet.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I will check that. But I can't change my name on an existing reservation, right? So for tomorrow's flight, if they are different, I will be out of luck, but will be able to specify to our corporate travel agent to use whatever way my name is displayed on future reservations?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by born sleepy
My BPs are electronic so I have no way to scan/decode them.
You know you can decode the mobile BPs (if that's what you mean by electronic) with neoreader, right? [check out post 1112]. It's a bit annoying because you need two devices (the app doesn't read images on the same machine). But it will read off a screen or another phone.

Originally Posted by tasnam
11F>30B MM281 BUA {next line} (Understand this from above conversation)
0E016 {next line}
3^160........then tons of random characters..(Is this the "3" that everyone is speking about)???
The gibberish is specific to the mobile BPs IME. The printed ones (kiosk or OLCI) just end with 10 spaces and then the pre-Check character (or occasionally the ticket number that goes in those 10 spaces is visible). But the mobile ones end as you indicate. So for those it's the digit before the carrot that counts.
Originally Posted by dahaberm
How does the manatee app work? I downloaded it and see the code almost like a camera but which button should i push to get the number sequence to see if it ends in a 3?
No buttons to push. Give it a few seconds to focus, and it should automatically read it.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
So, if I have a United Pre-Check valid boarding pass (scanned with a "3" showing), will I get the Pre-Check experience at DFW if I use security at A, C, or D? The TSA chart says only American Airlines.
I have something better for DFW since I just did this on Friday.

If I do not have to stop at the UA counter to check luggage, I use the DL checkpoints in the middle of E, since there are two and they do not have the body scanners, so no need to opt out. This past Friday I used the checkpoint closer to the UA gates (I think this is technically the E15 checkpoint, not that E16 is far, but I am not sure if E16 has what follows.) When I queued up, I looked wistfully as the Delta elite security line, but then I saw a sign for PreCheck. So I stepped up, they scanned my UA boarding pass, and I was able to use PreCheck there. It was a very nice surprise. Plus, the bonus of using this is even if PreCheck doesn't come up, at least no full body scan.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:13 am
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I will check that. But I can't change my name on an existing reservation, right? So for tomorrow's flight, if they are different, I will be out of luck, but will be able to specify to our corporate travel agent to use whatever way my name is displayed on future reservations?
Actually, the relevant fields can be changed -- they're under "edit traveler information" when managing the reservation...
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by LEONIDES
When I went through the line at SFO last week, they said PreCheck would be implemented there next month. I certainly hope so. It is about time.
I asked the (contract) TSA worker at the GS entrance at SFO this morning, and he confirmed mid-November. But he didn't know the configuration. Good thing I was able to use the GS line -- the "Premier Access" line wrapped around a few times outside the ropes, and looked as if it would be > 1 hour.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:04 am

As 21A also stressed, the "name on your reservation" and the "name on your ticket" are irrelevant -- it doesn't matter what they are, and it doesn't matter that you can't change them, and it doesn't matter that different travel agents may enter them differently. What matters is that the "TSA Secure Flight Data" exactly matches your GE names (full middle name or not, etc.) You can't change your GE names, of course, but you CAN change your TSA Secure Flight Data anytime you want, and as often as you want for each trip, by using the united.com "edit traveler info" link.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
I asked the (contract) TSA worker at the GS entrance at SFO this morning, and he confirmed mid-November. But he didn't know the configuration. Good thing I was able to use the GS line -- the "Premier Access" line wrapped around a few times outside the ropes, and looked as if it would be > 1 hour.
Can't wait for this. SFO is the one airport in most need of PreCheck. Half the city is "Premier" or higher it seems.

Since they installed nude-o-scopes at all the checkpoints the lines have gotten even longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.